It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ChatGTP blew me away last night

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster
a reply to: Mahogany

IF the asbestos dont get you, the vax will!!!

Brave new world!

Or Ozempic!

The lengths some people go to for vanity. I know a guy through work who didn't want to get vaccinated because it was experimental, but he's taking experimental ozempic knockoff to lose weight.

One was to protect a life, the other for looks. But he's ok with the one that's for looks.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Seems about right in todays world of narcissistic millennials

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My first thought reading the OP is “How would this affect cybersecurity?”. I dont know what sort of limitations are placed on the results it would return if you tried to word something to find exploits or backdoors in coding. If it is able to do that, i would imagine it would also tell/help find ways to patch those vulnerabilities. With AI potential, I would imagine IT would become an easy job, if used correctly. All you would have to do is copy/paste code. Of course, having someone who knows code and debugging would definitely help to have around to proofread code.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yeah chatgpt is amazing.

I was writing a piece of code in Rust language for a video game but I couldn’t figure it out. Idid most of the code, then pasted it to chatgpt and it comes back with “oh you were so close!”, then proceeded to add in a couple lines, and i was amazed at it’s genius code.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Imagine what the public doesn't have access to. I can only imagine that every person who has a smart phone or Internet connection has a dossier stored in some underground data center from years of AI data mining. Heck, they probably have 50 years of transcribed landline conversations that has been processed by AI.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Wow, some great comments.

I am fairly well versed in IT as a software engineer, albeit retired now, and I know there is no sentience here as we are probably a way off from anything like that ..... however, I was amazed at what it was able to do.

I do believe it changes the game for normal coding, however as I poked it with other queries, especially embedded or PLA subjects, it had some mixed results, so I am confident that many will not be out of a job yet, but certainly, the writing is on the wall.

The thoughts in here of aiming this at cyber security are certainly valid, along with the realization that the dark side uses it as well to help crack most of our systems. Scary.

I am also only delving into what it can do in software engineering, so what is it able to do with language, philosophy, law, the arts, physics, math and history... are totally beyond mind boggling possibilities.

I am going to continue to experiment with it, and I certainly do realize that what is out there for Defense use is probably staggering. The future of this is going to be beyond interesting., for sure.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Lots of this ai stuff can save time, can remember writing COBOL code and the worst part is all the setup and language specific stuff that needs to be in there to even start actually doing something.

Did ask it a while back to write me some COBOL as I fancy at some point to write a stock management system for an old mainframe and the code was good, sometimes logic was a bit suspect but I guess that could be how I specced the question.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Its pretty amazing how far it has come in such a short amount of time. I use ChatGPT and Anthropic's Claude AI to now write 100% of my SQL code at work. It works flawlessly. What used to take me days of coding, now takes just a couple minutes of providing table names, field names, join conditions and other paramaters and it spits out and elegant, fully functional data model almost immediately.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Phatal87

That actually already exists. Some black hats out there created a ChatGPT knock off that is used to hunt for exploits and then write code to take advantages of said exploits. It can also be used to craft very convincing spear-fishing emails and other social engineering vectors.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Basically if you don’t work in software, you’re screwed 😐

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: drongosrevenge
a reply to: combatmaster

not with the mexikans willing to work for 5 bucks an hour.

in ny-nj all the construction workers only habla mexikan now.

i love chatting with constuction workers, to ask what they are building.

now, they only speak mexikan, they smile pretending to understand my ancient language of english.
I know several folks who work construction in NJ/NYC. They get shut down for hiring illegal labor (if caught and they are looking).

Your ignorance is showing, you can still talk to construction workers. I bet you don’t know the difference between a Mexican Honduran and if they are tan you assume they aren’t American. Ouch.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Exactly.

I asked ChatGPT for a list of words with six letters and in which the third letter was an i.
One of the six answers it gave me (I asked it six times) was:
Middle
Elixir
Caring
Indies
Invite
Kiting
Fixing
Timing
Viking
Liking

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Well if thats the case, how does it know how to write custom computer code based on the broad parameters I provide it?

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

I don't know.
Maybe the fact that code follows more rigid rules than human language makes it easier for the AI to be able to process it.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I gotta say, that is pretty cool.

So I guess this is a big fat NO.

Between AI, robotics and ChatGPT, WTH, I guess the majority of humans really aren't needed anymore. Now if I could just make all the money I wanted doing nothing, I could spend it all doing anything.

You know that 2009 movie Surrogates with Bruce Willis????? Yep, we're almost there.

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I felt the same way when I started discovering the depth of the thing, and what it can do for me technically. As a contractor, when I need to make a spreadsheet (in excel) or when my wife needed to make one at work after her manager quit, I figured out that you can ask chatGPT "How do I add lines 3 - 36, and then put the sum in line 37, give it to me in a numbered step by step format please" so it spits out the code and step by step the buttons to navigate where to plug in the code (and copy and paste etc...).

So I figured id try it with minecraft and other stuff, I did get it to make a little miniature model of Minas Tirith in minecraft but it wouldnt go full force and design the whole castle....I did start to get it to make it in smaller sections, that, could be fit together later for a larger model. Didnt follow thru with that but maybe one day.

Its amazing the things I can get it to do without having spent the time to develop the talents (that i need) toget the same result with my "feeble human mind and body" lol.

Another cool trick I learned: there is a browser AI bot called "monica" that you can plug into google chrome, and it will elaborate on all your search queries, give you summarizations of youtube videos and lectures, and you can ask it questions to expand on...well...whatever......So when I do IT stuff, and Im purchasing equipment for customers (printers, computers, security camera DVR's, routers) I can ask monica to compare products, like for example: (Two top of the line netgear routers, customer wanted the one that was absolute fastest in every way, it came down to a minute detail....but he wanted the fastest one....I was able to answer this with a simple query to monica)

Same thing with other equipment, I can quickly find the exact part I need for a particular application, so much faster. This is currently giving me the edge on the people I have subcontracted for for years and Im gradually breaking away and becoming more independant
It helps me understand better which equipment is (better ) than what they have been using....and I can ask for a LIST>..of compatible equipment to overcome (WHATEVER stated problem)......and quickly generate a framework for a project.

Its freaky like it knows every product for every trade, and it knows every trade and how to do it. When are we going to get an army of ChatGPT technicians? am I becoming one?

QUE FAMILIAR MELODY FROM 1980!!!!:
"I think im turning GPT,
I think im turning GPT,
I really think so."

Its getting to easy its almost scary. I feel like I need to ride this wave and make it work for me and develop a good understanding of it, because I know other people out there that think like me are going to do the same thing.

(Oh and this is my 8th post ever and I think ive been reading for about 20 years ;P) Hey, better late than never.
edit on 5-9-2023 by hydrocannibal1 because: to mark my 8th post ever for which I am proud. It shall encourage me to make a 9th post, someday, hopefully

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:05 PM
link   
also I have to smile at the title; it sounds like ChatGPT took you on a....really good date!

posted on Sep, 5 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Surprised some of you don't use UI's like LM Studio or Kobold and run it on your own computer, it's all private.

Plus you could get specific LLMs that are dedicated to customization and tons of uncensored features.

ChatGPT pfft...

I heard they might go bankrupt. They are a dollar late on version 5... the competition is passing them up.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: chr0naut

Exactly.

I asked ChatGPT for a list of words with six letters and in which the third letter was an i.
One of the six answers it gave me (I asked it six times) was:
Middle
Elixir
Caring
Indies
Invite
Kiting
Fixing
Timing
Viking
Liking

That is strange.

Yes, it certainly has some hiccups that are disproportionate with how it is able to solve some very complex problems, especially when it comes down to repeatability.

If it makes mistakes in code, that is usually exposed quickly, however some errors may take some real scrutiny to uncover.

This is an evolving program, and it seems as if it can only get better.

posted on Sep, 6 2023 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
Surprised some of you don't use UI's like LM Studio or Kobold and run it on your own computer, it's all private.

Plus you could get specific LLMs that are dedicated to customization and tons of uncensored features.

ChatGPT pfft...

I heard they might go bankrupt. They are a dollar late on version 5... the competition is passing them up.

Wikipedia has a nice description of ChatGTP and some of its underpinnings , also what is proprietary and what it basically gives away...

ChatGPT is built upon GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 —members of OpenAI's proprietary series of generative pre-trained transformer (GPT) models, based on the transformer architecture developed by Google[3]—and it is fine-tuned for conversational applications using a combination of supervised and reinforcement learning techniques.[4

The entire article is fairly extensive, -> WP's ChatGTP entry

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join