It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Proton Battery tech that’s Cheaper and Kinder to Nature – Spell the end for lithium?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Title shortened to fit and NOTE: These batteries arent for EV vehicles. YET!

Researchers and scientists at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology may have found an alternative to problematic lithium-ion batteries that sometimes explode or catch fire, especially at the cheaper end of the e-bike and e-scooter range.

A research team working in collaboration with Italian-based automotive component supplier Eldor Corporation, hopes its work means it’s hopes it’s close to winning the global race to find cheap, rechargeable batteries

Pro ton Battery

I invested in Lithium stocks in 2021. I was up big but got cleaned out on one loser so in brief I broke even. To date I keep and eye on them but they have been in free fall for the entire year to date. I am since morphing into EV stocks. What I am doing is following the DOE's grant money and determine whether a buy seems plausible as that sector isn't really going anywhere. Yet. I did buy 1000 shares of Ford Motor stock in the $11.86 a share range.

Why? look at Telsa's stock ~ $200. Once Ford is ramped up they will out produce Telsa big time.

Ford will receive $9.2 billion as part of a conditional loan from the US Department of Energy to aid in the construction of three huge electric vehicle battery factories, the agency announced Thursday Jun 22, 2023

Heres a good link to research EV stocks:

EV Magazine

Many on this site are so skeptical of governments. Many feel the EV industry is not sustainable and is dangerous. Yes, it is relating to Lithium Batteries. I made the argument this summer that technology will prevail and find an answer to Lithium Ion batteries. They now have and you cant stop the world from where its heading but they have developed a rechargeable Proton Battery. IMO they will get there for EV Vehicles

The world is morphing today as it did when the auto car replaced horses.

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   
LOL, when you said proton batteries for the EV industry, my first thought was "don't cross the streams" (ghostbusters reference).
Pretty cool concept, looking forward to seeing how it can be developed further and more efficiently.

I wonder how similar the science is to the past vehicles that ran on water?

definitely going too keep an eye on this as it develops, hopefully the tech or the researchers don't mysteriously disappear.

As for EV I cant invest in tesla but ford is still a good buy for a long term investment, the whole industry took a hit in 2021, stay away from those Chinese EV companies, another movie quote comes to mind...
"Its a TRAP!"

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

100% agree. There are a bunch of battery technologies out there waiting in the wings that can displace Lithium—including one being developed by NASA specifically for electric aviation. Also, it was inevitable that once one or more of the major car manufacturers started taking electric vehicles seriously they would be able to out compete Tesla with their bigger manufacturing base and distribution base.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Batteries are a good investment. There is so much free energy around, we just have no effective way of storing it for future use.

Once we are as good at storing energy as we are at making it or releasing it, we won't need to make it any more.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:38 AM
link   

This is mind blowing and I am glad to see some scientists are working to make our Earth a healthier place to live in.

From your source:

Dr Heidari told The Fifth Estate that the main problems with lithium were:

Mined from the Earth
Extremely limited as a resource
Recycling stumps even Dr Heidari – “it’s hard to know how much of the lithium is reusable after battery contamination”
Meanwhile, this is how the proton battery delivers where lithium-ion fails:

Proton batteries are powered by renewable energy stored in carbon
All you need to do is split atoms from water, carbon from wood and energy from the sun – resources that need to be used more often, according to Dr Heidari.

Proton uses recycled parts, and materials can be rejuvenated, reused or recycled

Reminded me of this:

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If this new technology can offer much longer spans between charging then maybe there will be a change. I think right now electric vehicles are not suitable outside of major cities. Until the charging infrastructure is upgraded and expanded I don't think many people are willing to spend $50 and 40 minutes to refuel their vehicle regardless of battery technology. If they can speed the charging up, and maintain a durable battery, then more people will switch.

If you are set on EV stocks watch the companies dedicated to charging stations. In my opinion this industry will have to grow first before electric vehicles can really take a footing. I imagine there will be many electric vehicle brands released but only a handful of charging companies competing. Unless you are Tesla, most EV car companies makes a one time sell, the vehicle, on the other hand the charging station makes continuous sales to the same customer, and I can see more of a demand for faster charging stations as EV grows in popularity.

We are in a bear market on most things so unless you are dollar cost averaging for a long position you might think about putting some cash back. There is a lot of chatter of an upcoming market crash the next couple of months. When most are scared and fleeing, others see opportunity. Just sayin, I'm going to be watching real closely to the stocks I think will do good in the next Bull run.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The auto industry will be able to adopt the latest battery technologies relatively easily, that's the easy part.

The problem esp. in North America is the power grid isn't remotely ready for charging the EVs, and won't for the foreseeable future. The "We'll mandate it then figure out how to do it" breaks badly when it takes 20+ years to get a new power plant online, much less upgrade the already-overloaded distribution systems. Replacing the energy in 369 million gallons of gas per day will not be trivial and needs sober long-term planning, of which I haven't seen any.

EVs may indeed be the future, but as of today the cart is miles ahead of the horse.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

At some point the question with this could become, how much energy can you store away and there is still enough for everything else?

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

Here are some companies to watch:

Chargepoint CHPT; Wallbox WBX, Quantum Scape QS, Fluence Energy FLNC

Check them out on Yahoo Finance for free

Create a one year chart and use a 16 gold, 50 green and 200 red Moving Average lines. Also put in MACD and RSI. Typically when the green and gold line is above the red your increasing value.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

They also are working on Solid State batteries for EV. QuantumScape already has working protype's in fleet vehicles

QuantumScape

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 01:29 PM
link   

You're awesome and thank you for the tips.

On the 1 day I use the 9 day moving average, it will sync with the MACD.
One full green candle above the nine day line signals to put in a buy.
Sell one full candle below the 9 day moving average. You will see that it matches the MACD crossing.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The intraday is tough. The had AI out there to kill day traders back in 2014. I use Fidelity Active Trader Pro. The best indicators for Moving Average are the HULL Moving Average.

I got cleaned out in 2014. Lost $24,000 day trading.

I now go long and am in Oil Refining. I bought 10,000 shares of MRO between $6 and $8 back in 2020 April. Yesterday it went over $27. I still have 6200 shares and that company is finally back on the upswing.

Whenever I listen to a stock pusher I loose money. Many hucksters are now pushing EV sticks that are tanking. Be carefull out there
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

Fluence Energy

Here's a Yahoo chart for Fluence Energy. A joint company EV stock with Siemens and AEV. MACD is on the upswing along with 16 day MA. This is a one year daily chart. I was in and sold and made ~ $5k. Possibly time to reenter?

Fluence Energy Chart

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I've gotten hooked on the DCAing crypto, slowly building, and a little hopium on the Bitcoin halving next year helping us see a bull run. Got me some XRP, XLM, ADA and a little HBAR bag just waiting patiently and looking to add others with a strong operation behind them. Bitcoin is the no-brainer investment, I like the risk and I am betting on who bumps Bitcoin and Ethereum out of the top spots. No one stays on top forever.

Thanks for the Fluence tip, that is a strong, repetitive movement, and steadily upward.
edit on 3-9-2023 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   
So basically this new 'proton' battery is just a reversible hydrogen oxygen fuel cell that stores only the hydrogen in carbon.

I see weight as one problem as they have to weigh more than water because they consume water on charging and produce water discharging. Second problem is rust and fire hazard. The oxygen being released into the environment will make materials oxidize faster around the area of the batteries and any flammable material in the area will naturally be more flammable from a higher level of oxygen.

They already have such batteries in hearing aids but non rechargable.. Been around for many years.
Good capacity densidy but very slow discharge rate. Not scalable for any power tool use much less EV use.

I find it funny how everyone is discussing investment when technical problems eliminate any such discussion.

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   

you make me curious as to what kind of battery tech
atlantis was using that exploded, maybe because
of cheap labor, cutting corners, lax safety regulations
and public official embezzlement

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Batteries are a good investment. There is so much free energy around, we just have no effective way of storing it for future use.

Once we are as good at storing energy as we are at making it or releasing it, we won't need to make it any more.

Not very up on the concept of "science" are you ?
(bold for subject emphasis)

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The batteries we are using presently are bad for the environment. I think that it is one of the least eco friendly things they have been doing lately. The EV batteries are so expensive that it does not pay to put a new battery in an older car, so the cars are just scrapped. That is not eco friendly at all. six grand for a battery on a car only worth six to eight grand...that is nuts.

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sarcasticcritic

They don't make a direct connection but now you have me wondering also:

The advantages of lithium-ion are especially juicy for NASA because these kinds of batteries blow their predecessors away in terms of power: a commercially made lithium-ion battery cell is about three times as powerful as a nickel-metal hydride cell.

NASA is Prepared if a Battery Ever Explodes in Space

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Thanks you have more ballz than I do on the crypto but the upside is HUGE. Fluence Energy which is joint owned by Seimens and AES seems well thought out and they are big organizations. Here's their story as they are an energy storage company.

Fluence Energy

posted on Sep, 4 2023 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You are correct but I have faith in technology as an Engineer in heavy manufacturing. I also like Hydrogen Power Plants

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join