It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starfield - 4 Days to Lift Off !

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I've put 16 hours into the game so far so here are my impressions , Starfield is Fallout in space so if you liked Fallout 3 or 4 you' be right at home here , graphics are good , it's probably the prettiest Bethesda game to date and the musical score is as excellent as Bethesda's other games , atmospheric and melodic.

Performance is good on my system I've had no crashes and I've only encountered a couple of bugs , literally , one was a slight reflection graphical bug and the other my companion got himself stuck and was doing the arms and legs falling animation which was quite amusing.

The only fault I can find with the game is it's high on Matriarchy , lots of girl bosses running things and women outnumber men in settlements , nice for the chaps that live there I guess but I find it annoying , if you've played Obsidian's The Outer Worlds you know what to expect although not on that scale.

To summarise I think it's a great game full of stuff to do with the freedom for you to do as you please , the gunplay is excellent but the enemy AI isn't that smart leading to fairly easy fights as your companion gives them a target to shoot at and you can easily flank them.

It isn't perfect but it does a lot of things right and it's fun to play , it's a proper space game from Bethesda.
9 / 10

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is Yumi Lv2 Industrialist at the start of her career in New Atlantis...

lol
Happy Gaming, Folks

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I'm having my first real look and feel with it tonight. I don't have a copy but my friend does, so we'll be over at his place later. Gonna give it a go...

Interesting topic on AMDs progress, I just upgraded to a new build with a 4080. My older system has a 3080. Always on the look out for the latest.

As always Stay tuned.

edit on 10-9-2023 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Right my impressions after playing for a few hours, not happy with my first character so made another etc.

Basically fallout 4 in space, graphics while good for Bethesda are not next gen and while they have stuck with the gamebryo engine it is actually fairly smooth on my system at 1080 (older rtx 2060 super and ryzan 3700 with 16 gig's of ram, running it on my boot hard drive an M.2 perhaps not the best choice as that will tax my OS drive but so far so good).

Instead of children of atom there is a religious sect or two in space, instead of gunners there is a faction or house and instead of belligerent scavengers there are spacers some not so bad but mostly a bad faction.

Level's are reasonable but caves seem to repeat so that I have seen the inside of the same cave several times over.

Basic plot not far enough in yet to give my opinion.

Not a hoot but a nice distraction, still overpriced like I say especially with the cost of living crisis going on, Disney (and cutting off there own nose to spite there own face) as ever being greedy most likely or I am sure Bethesda would have launched it at going game prices had they not been bought by their new parent company, definitely NOT a next gen game though so the system requirements are all down to using an inefficient game engine where other engines, cry engine (not the best example obviously), unreal and even the Red Engine from cyberpunk 2077 could have produced far superior game world's and better graphics at far less resource intensiveness and even without using a SDD.

Basically Bethesda need to up their game (no pun intended) but Starfield is still a good (not a great until the mod makers improve it for free - wait a few years for any really good mods) product, characters are a bit boring as well, Free Star Collective need's some real ranches with alien horned bison on them and some Rancheros with plasma shotgun's, could do with more of a wild west feel to their space as well but that remains an interesting area of the game with the Star Eagle to obtain.

Blame Disney for the Wokeness and probably old Todd shoe licking his way into the good graces of his new superior's.

If you want space combat and that is your aim go for something like the X series for realism or the ancient but still brilliant Freespace 2.

Starfield has pretty rudimentary space combat, basic subsystem targeting is possible so you can disable then board hostile ship's, have commandeered a few on the ground as that is possible as well just run past the hostiles that get out of them (if you are playing a good guy piracy is always possible as well) and kill the crew inside, sometimes you can nick the ship but some ship's are locked out, don't know if you can pinch ship's in space but I will give a go later but you can get better ship's through quests, early quest the lair of the mantis which has a nice ship, short on power but great weapons and if you follow the Ranger quest line of course the Star Eagle, get an Urban eagle gun on the lunar ship yard earlier in the game.

Fine but NOT GREAT game, good but I will not put myself out as a total fan though I do like it, perhaps it will grow more on me over time.

edit on 12-9-2023 by LABTECH767 because: Just got rid of a whole load of brain fart, I have a tendency to go on too much sometimes so leave it short and to the point

posted on Sep, 12 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I've played it a little and am already over it. It's like every other Bethesda game since Skyrim which actually pisses me off:

Oh wow I get now why Fallout 4 appeared like the stepchild of the series, you can see a lot of the mechanics in Starfield, just to get this thing out on the market with less bugs than you kind of expect from B. at this point. Down side is it makes it appear es innovative and exciting like an old sock...
If you like running around completing a bunch of unconnected quests, craft and collect it is probably awesome but I'm just not into it anymore, wasn't since Skyrim, FO4 because of the cool setting I played it, but...
meh

It's sad.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Bethesda have today released a patch that adds a FOV slider to the game and more importantly Nvidia DLSS plus some bug fixes.

Edit.
FOV slider and DLSS are coming soon.

edit on 13-9-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'm exploring and using some typical Bethesda related exploits

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Beat it.

6/10 stupid story boring af totally skipped through most of it.

Wheres all the Changs in space? its mostly angry blek woman face lul

ship combat 5/10.

Sandboxness? 7/10.

YMMV.

posted on Sep, 19 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Some of the side quests are quite good although not brilliant, the one where you get arrested either for a minor crime or on some kind of in game trumped up charges and then taken to a united colonies intelligence ship to be coerced into working for them undercover and becoming a pirate is good, you can go either way but the pirates although psycho's are better characters with more personality than even most of your wooden followers are.

Some daft quests though and unless you have looped the game several times (after building the spinny do da in your game and going through the credit's then starting the game again as a starborn but with non of the stuff you had earlier so you have to gather it all again) you still don't get the best starborn ship and suit, it takes multiple run throughs of that quest line and to power up your powers you have to visit the temples again to max them out (There are plenty of bat files on the nexus if you are playing on PC that you can download and use to get those powers though - it's basically fallout (Bethesda's version)/skyrim so the mods are already flying out, very few model changes yet, loads of retextures though there is an early star wars one that turn's the UC guards into stormtroopers and an early mod that adds radio stations to the game).

So they expect players to play through the game multiple times, been the good guy gives you a chance to run through and murder everyone in an alternative universe etc, second universe it's your parallel self that is lying dead in the eye space station being cradled by the Ukrainian or Russian bloke, third time you find Stroud is a villain that has bankrupted the rest of constellation and taken over the lodge for himself and he sell's you the artifact or you can just gun him and his ecliptic guards down, not sure how many more repetitions or how many changes occur in the game's universe but one youtube video shows the lodge populated by kid's that are role playing the constellation characters and tell you they found it abandoned.

My suggestion is wait for the really good mods to come out, expect Star Wars ship parts to be a mod in the future, perhaps even Battlestar Galactica and the Expanse mods will become more and more common but at the moment the modding is only just getting started (I want a mod that makes those cleaning bot's say the line from Stallone's Dredd "Eat Recycled food it's good for the environment and OK for you" also I want some better robot followers, they have already placed fallout style random encounters such as a wandering merchant with a ship that has an alien dog with her instead and though she is a grown up it reminds me of the little girl merchant in fallout 4 with her robot companion that is a random encounter as it is a carbon copy of that, why bethesda did not include there own radio in the game though I mean some players want to play a space trucker).

Pretty sure there are other nods' to fallout throughout the game and expect to see some mod maker import or recreate fallout assets for settlements in the future, someone is likely to recreate the fallout player starting home and put rockets on it as well so that will be hilarious when they do.

To my mind the problem with the game is one of laziness on Bethesdas part, from there promise of deep exploration and questlines that there early games had right up to Morrowind and even in fact to Oblivion (though that is where they began to go wrong) there games have become more window dressing and lack the substance of earlier games, there RPG elements and NPC interactions have become ever more wooden not even evolving from the days of Morrowind while in fact the engine has improved along with there own brand of graphic's though lacking the bell's and whistles of next generation games, they are also novice at space games so have a long way to go before their space combat equals that of even older games though it is not all bad.

These day's Bethesda seem too intent on the window dressing and not enough on what is actually in there game, they need more exploration as there older games were often more enticing there, not enough locations in there city's and there city's seem too small by far with the Well at new Atlantis being a missed opportunity and the rich tower blocks on the surface not having enough accessible areas or exploration, the ground exploration on the planets feels too no man's sky and the settlement system need's work as it is not even as good as that in fallout 4 (which let's be fair was ripped off by Bethesda from a mod maker who made such a mod for fallout NV and 3 with Bethesda almost carbon copying the guy's work).

Still it has potential, give it time and the mod makers will come to the rescue, it may be four years before you see any DLC sized mod's such as wormholes to other galaxy's and entire new quest lines, alien invasions etc and proper space and ground battles but they will come.

edit on 19-9-2023 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I spent 10.99 for the game pass to try starfield.

I’m enjoying the game.

It’s like Skyrim in space.

I like base builder and spaceship building.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

The UC one where you get to pretend to be an fbi agent and entrap others?

Yeah I totally shot that guy in the face and killed everyone aboard the UC Vigliance.

I think killed everyone in every major city on every planet that has such....

worst punishment? 7 days in jail (instant) and loose some xp... (im lvl 77 lol)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join