It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starfield - 4 Days to Lift Off !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 06:27 AM
link   
After months of telling myself I can wait until the Sept 6th official launch it turns out I can't so I've jumped and gone for the Premium addition and the Sept 1st early access offer , with that comes a few cosmetics and some in game equipment but most importantly the Shattered Space story expansion which is due at some point in the future.

I never pre-order games but I've waited a long time for this , it's £86 on Steam but £71 on Greenman gaming and Fanatical so I figure as the base game is £50 and Shattered Space will likely retail at £20 - £25 it's a no brainer to get the Early Access.

So , 4 days left to wait , the indications are positive from what I've read so I'm curious if any ATS gamers are ready to go looting and shooting around the Settled Systems ?

I'll update the thread with my first (spoiler free) impressions at the weekend , if anyone else has gone for the EA please feel free to do the same.

To Infinity and Beyond !

edit on 28-8-2023 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Buying an AMD video card for my other system (the first in 10 years) cause I get Starfield free..
Well , almost .

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

AMD seem to be the way to go right now , with Nvidia's anti-gamer policies locking people without 40 series cards out of frame generation AMD announced at Gamescom FSR 3 will support older cards and Nvidia cards bringing Frame Generation to the masses.

Unless Nvidia sort themselves out I think I may switch to AMD for my next card.

I look forward to your impressions of Starfield.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here's hoping they release a finished product this time.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Apparently since the delay from last years expected launch they've spent the last 8 months polishing it as I guess they didn't wont to repeat the mistakes of CD Project , from what I've seen reported by those who are currently hands on with the game it's described as smooth and largely bug free , a day one patch is expected to address things reviewers have found.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I’m kind of stoked about the game, but didn’t want to pay to be a bug tester and that’s what the first week or two is going to be, because it always is on any game right out of the gate. I hate “frustratingly playable” so I’ll wait until a week or two after launch. There’s been a few AAA games to come out recently that were more work than fun… Hogwart’s anyone?

I also picked up BG3 a few weeks ago and it’s a great game, so waiting isn’t a big deal.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I've been looking forward to this for a while now, pre-ordered it on CDKEYS for £44 a while back.
After all the delays I'm hoping it's not that buggy especially as I run a 3080TI.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: HeirHeart

I also picked up BG3 a few weeks ago and it’s a great game, so waiting isn’t a big deal.

That's my next purchase , big fan of the Divinity games and BG3 is right up that alley.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You should be fine with a 3080TI it's a beast of a card , I'm running a 3070 and a Ryzen 5700X which are above the recommended specs so fingers crossed.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 08:54 AM
link   
dbl

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I just caved and upgraded to early access yesterday..... Starting that on a Friday made more sense than waiting until the middle of the following week.

I mean, even if it's bad, it'll be fixed - look at No Man's Sky after several years of updates. I have heard that this is going to be the most polished Bethesda release in the history of ever, so we have that going for us.

I remember telling my wife about this and it went like this:

ME - "Ok, so I'm going to have to have 2 different save games - One where I fly around being a pirate as a general nuisance while making a few stray friends and destroying, boarding, killing, and looting everyone that gives me attitude, and another save where I play the game like I NORMALLY would; like a 'me' save, where I would play super immersive and do stuff that I would really do if it were me."

HER - "So....... There will be only one save file. Because that's exactly what you would really do. You would be a space pirate and kill everyone."

ME - "............."

HER - "..........."

ME - "....... Yes. You are probably correct."

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Starting that on a Friday made more sense than waiting until the middle of the following week.

That was also a consideration , play it over the weekend or wait till Wednesday and play it for a few hours due to work the following day.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I’m thinking of taking a paid day off for this release 😬

Lol, idk if I can bring myself to do it though.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sigh, it’s not elder scrolls vi.

I can barely (or not at all) get through these space games, but beat Skyrim literally hundreds of times.

Oblivion dozens… Morowind maybe a dozen.

If this holds elder scrolls vi will be last game i need.

Time to go beat Skyrim again. With all the DLC it is a different experience each time.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I’m the opposite. It’s the fantasy or medieval RPGs that I don’t get as excited for, though some have been really good.

So I’m kind of happy Bethesda is venturing into a sci fi direction with their story telling and RPG superstar status.

Im waiting with bated breath though after the last few years of hyped games with failed launches.Luckily I have game pass so I’ll be able to play it before I decide to support them and buy the game.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Tempted to get it but apparently to get by the lag of the gamebryo engine Bethesda are saying it really need's to be installed on an SSD, this is probably not about loading times but about land and objects popping in like you get in the older version of the engine used in games such as fallout 4.

Going to wait for a while and see what others say about how it plays on a mechanical HD as SSD's while they are faster are not in everyone's system and I personally don't want to install it to my boot drive knowing that I will likely heavily mod the game in the future, that said it looks good and I may just succumb to my temptation, still ten quid over the asking price in my opinion especially given how buggy Bethesda games are (but hey that's a feature honestly which is why they let there gaming community create unofficial patches).

I will get it eventually that is a given but when is the question for me.

And Nvidia greedy and nasty given how much we have paid for there crap in the past only for them to then sabotage there own customer base I am truly disgusted with them, if they continue with these policy's they deserve to lose there customer base and probably will once AMD and Intel get there act properly together, AMD already have and are cheaper but not cheaper enough in my opinion and Intel, well I am going to watch their graphic's products with no great hope since they have tried graphics in the past then pulled back out of the market so they have a track record of not following through properly in there investment in the market and that is not good for consumers as it need's more competition not less.
edit on 28-8-2023 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Tempted to get it but apparently to get by the lag of the gamebryo engine Bethesda are saying it really need's to be installed on an SSD, this is probably not about loading times but about land and objects popping in like you get in the older version of the engine used in games such as fallout 4.

I don't think it's the engine's fault , SSD drives read and write faster than physical drives old gen drives can't keep up with the demands leading to texture pop in , Personally I'd say for gaming an NVME drive is a requirement for current gen games.

Going to wait for a while and see what others say about how it plays on a mechanical HD as SSD's while they are faster are not in everyone's system and I personally don't want to install it to my boot drive knowing that I will likely heavily mod the game in the future,

My NVME isn't a boot drive it's just for games , you can install an SSD in your system just to use as a game drive ,you will notice the difference in loading times ,there's a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SSD Internal Hard Drive available at Argos , £43.

It's an investment worth making.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Gothmog

AMD seem to be the way to go right now , with Nvidia's anti-gamer policies locking people without 40 series cards out of frame generation AMD announced at Gamescom FSR 3 will support older cards and Nvidia cards bringing Frame Generation to the masses.

Unless Nvidia sort themselves out I think I may switch to AMD for my next card.

I look forward to your impressions of Starfield.

This is nonsense as DLS3's Frame Generation uses and requires a Optical Flow Accelerator on the GPU which the 30x series simply does not have.

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

This is nonsense as DLS3's Frame Generation uses and requires a Optical Flow Accelerator on the GPU which the 30x series simply does not have.

The NVIDIA® Optical Flow SDK exposes the latest hardware capability of NVIDIA Turing, Ampere, and Ada architecture GPUs dedicated to computing the relative motion of pixels between images. The hardware uses sophisticated algorithms to yield highly accurate flow vectors, which are robust to frame-to-frame intensity variations and track the true object
developer.nvidia.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2023 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm really sad Bethesda was bought about by Microsoft. I almost want to buy an xbox purely to play this game. It looks so damn good. I'm a huge fan of Bethesda and really hate microsoft right now

Hope you enjoy the game!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join