It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Targeting Traditional Catholics

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   
So according to the FBI ... "Traditional" Catholics are possibly radical white supremacists who are domestic terrorists.
Yeah, beyond absurd but that's what they conjured up in their latest attack upon conservative Americans.
Kinda makes you wonder who the real terrorists are in this country.

Fox News

House Republicans say FBI documents they've obtained prove that several field offices contributed to a memo that targeted traditionalist Catholics as "potential terrorists," conflicting with recent sworn testimony from FBI Director Christopher Wray.

Republican leadership on the House Judiciary Committee revealed in a letter sent to Wray on Wednesday that said the document they subpoenaed from the agency details how "both FBI Portland and FBI Los Angeles field offices were involved in or contributed to the creation of FBI’s assessment of traditional Catholics as potential domestic terrorists."

"This new information suggests that the FBI’s use of its law enforcement capabilities to intrude on American’s First Amendment rights is more widespread than initially suspected," Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, and co-chair Rep. Mike Johnson, R-La., wrote in the letter.

Catholic News Agency

The U.S. House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday claimed to have uncovered evidence of “multiple” field offices of the Federal Bureau of Investigation coordinating an investigation into traditionalist Catholics earlier this year.

A leaked memo from the FBI’s Richmond, Virginia, field office, published on the internet in February of this year, discussed investigating “radical traditionalist” Catholics who the bureau alleged may have been part of a “far-right white nationalist movement.”

For those who don't know, the Catholic church has Novus Ordo Catholics who go to the English speaking Mass and worship according to Vatican II, and Traditional Catholics who go to the Latin Mass and are mostly pre-Vatican II in their worship. The Traditional Catholics are a smaller group and Traditional Catholics sometimes do not accept the Pope and the Mass changes since Vatican II in the 1960s.

For full disclosure, I'm a conservative Catholilc (pray the Rosary ever day, pray Novenas as they come up in the church calendar, read about the Saints, and I used to go on pilgrimages (Medjugorje, Betania, etc) when I could still travel, that kind of thing). I think Vatican II was a nightmare for the Church and has greatly harmed it. I like the Traditional Catholics way of doing things but am still Novus Ordo.
edit on AugustThursday23America/ChicagoThu, 10 Aug 2023 11:47:22 -050022Augustam82 by FlyersFan2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan2

They were the first to champion the patriot act because Allah...

(post by abigredneck removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

From your source:

House Republicans say FBI documents they've obtained prove that several field offices contributed to a memo that targeted traditionalist Catholics as "potential terrorists," conflicting with recent sworn testimony from FBI Director Christopher Wray.

That sounds a lot like contempt of Congress.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: abigredneck
You did not produce any links,

I produced two links. Clearly.

but I was curious about your statement
so I searched. Guess what? Nothing.

Apparently you didn't search well enough

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I'm not. But you are. I suggest that you put on some reading glasses and
look at the opening post again. TWO LINKS are provided.

a reply to: Terpene

edit on Thu Aug 10 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Disgusting aholes.
This is j e Hoover bull crap.
Wray should be charged tried and jailed.
As should garland.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Ummm. . . isn't that kinda against the 1st Amendment?

Here it is for all the communists posting so they can see what we mean.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   
"Documents Reveal FBI Sought to Develop Sources in Local Catholic Churches"
That's disturbing. "Develop Sources" in local churches.
In other words, find people in the churches who would snitch on fellow church goers.

More Links

Heritage Foundation - The FBI’s Targeting of “Radical-Traditional Catholics” Bodes Ill

KEY TAKEAWAYS

1 - The memo suggests that the FBI should monitor these Catholics through “the development of sources with access,” including in “places of worship.”

2 - The FBI's decision to cite the SPLC is even worse when it comes to Catholicism, in particular.

3 - How did the FBI consider it acceptable to cite an organization with a troubled history of anti-Christian and anti-conservative bias?

Judiciary House - Press Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Chairman Jim Jordan (R-OH) revealed that the FBI relied on information derived from at least one undercover employee and sought to use local religious organizations as “new avenues for tripwire and source development.” This proposed outreach plan included contacting so-called “mainline Catholic parishes” and the local “diocesan leadership.” The documents reveal that the FBI also expressed an interest in “leverag[ing] existing sources and/or initiat[ing] Type 5 Assessments to develop new sources with the placement and access” to report on suspicious activity. In light of this information and the serious consequences for the free exercise of Americans’ First Amendment rights, Chairman Jordan issued a subpoena today to FBI Director Wray for all documents related to the FBI’s actions.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

That's disturbing. "Develop Sources" in local churches. In other words, find people in the churches who would snitch on fellow church goers.

This was approved.
This is now standard practice for the sitting government.

Bad times ahead.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yeah, and against common sense.
Domestic terrorists?
White Supremacists?
Comeon.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan2

Domestic terrorists?
White Supremacists?
Comeon.

Well, it's not like they can say Antifa or BLM are terrorists because they only burned down businesses, looted, raped and murdered people.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan2

Domestic terrorists?
White Supremacists?
Comeon.

Well, it's not like they can say Antifa or BLM are terrorists because they only burned down businesses, looted, raped and murdered people.

Whereas Traditional Catholics dare to pray the rosary and worship in latin.
How dare they!! Simply terrorizing!! (*sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Catholic News Agency - U.S. bishops: FBI document targeting Catholics is ‘religious profiling’

The leaked document has been condemned by several federal and state officials, as well as clergy, including Bishop Barry Knestout of the Diocese of Richmond, who recently called the memo a “threat to religious liberty.”

“I agree with my brother Bishop Barry Knestout that the leaked memorandum was nonetheless ‘troubling and offensive’ in several respects — such as in its religious profiling and reliance on dubious sourcing — and am glad it has been rescinded,” Dolan said. “We encourage federal law enforcement authorities to take appropriate measures to ensure the problematic aspects of the memo do not recur in any of their agencies’ work going forward.”

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So they only stopped because they got caught.

Wonder when they'll start again.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

So they only stopped because they got caught.
Wonder when they'll start again.

They SAY they stopped. Do you believe them? I don't.
The mentality that kicked this off is still there.
So are the people who targeted Traditional Catholics.
Nothing has changed.

America Magazine

Jordan said the FBI has provided “limited information” in a probe conducted by a subcommittee investigating the alleged political “weaponization” of the federal government.

LIMITED INFORMATION is being provided by the FBI.
They are not cooperating.
edit on AugustThursday23America/ChicagoThu, 10 Aug 2023 12:57:51 -050051Augustpm82 by FlyersFan2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Here are some links:
From judiciary.house.gov:
Judiciary Committee Uncovers Multiple FBI Field Offices Coordinated to Prepare Anti-Catholic Memo

A pdf of the memo in question:
fbi-anti-catho lic-memo.pdf

I haven't read through these yet.
edit on 10-8-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   
From the same source:

"To be clear," the FBI said, "the document was a domain perspective which is an intelligence product designed to address potential threats in a particular area—in this case, the Richmond Field Office’s area of responsibility. Because the product failed to meet FBI standards, it was quickly removed from all FBI systems and a review was launched to determine how it was produced in the first place."

Traditional Catholics don't have anything to worry about unless they start engaging in illegal activities--threats, etc.
Are some Catholics white supremacists? Undoubtedly. Plenty of protestants are in that boat too.

While it's difficult to square those beliefs with the fundamental tenets of Christianity in any way, shape, or form, they won't run afoul of the law for beliefs alone.

Much of this is just more bluster from Jim Jordan and company as they clamor for red meat in their ongoing efforts to demonize the FBI and Justice Department.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Yeah ... 'multiple field offices' were involved.
That means it wasn't just some rogue agent being out of control.
It was coordinated between offices. Widespread.

posted on Aug, 10 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77
it was quickly removed from all FBI systems and a review was launched to determine how it was produced in the first place."

how it was produced in the first place .... targeting conservatives simply because they are conservative.
There was ZERO legitimate reason to target this group of people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join