It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Michio Kaku says digital immortality is 'within reach'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Having their approximation-no matter how accurate the facsimile- would be personally horrifying. What if they suffer? What if there is some essence that is missing and it haunts them? What if some sociopath downloads a copy into their own personal Hell Matrix for kicks?

Imagine a version of you waking up to a digital approximation of "life" with no mystery or hope of evolution or transcendence? Again, could be pretty "hellish."

There's a movie in there....thanks for the inspiration!

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan2

I don't think it's AI. And the Turing Test is BS. Chat GPT obliterated it. I am willing to bet it would be 50/50 with people picking out the bot. A guess at best.

They would be creating an Einstein bot. You don't need many parameters to program a distinct personality, and if you can replicate their encyclopedia of knowledge you have a real enough entity.

I think our definition for what constitutes true AI, sentience, and immortality needs adjusting, or maybe our brains difference from the true/false logic gates of a computer's programming needs very little disambiguation to begin with.

Human consciousness is essentially a processor and input sensors. A number of instruments take in a constant stream of collapsed data and process it. And then you make simple decisions based on that data, often time seconds before cognition.

I will put forth the existential singularity is a lie.

And Michio lost me by going all Ancient Aliens. Just because he can do nonlinear differential equations doesn't make him any less of a parrot. Liked him more back when he was just prattling about the elegance of superstrings.

He's on the History Channel payroll to give their loose application of things more legitimacy, IMO.

To his credit the things he says are purely whatever speculative, but it really will destroy your credibility to pontificate alongside Giorgio "Von Sitchin" Tsukalos.

Only in science fiction is Daniel Jackson right about the pyramids.
edit on 14-8-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2023 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: VforVendettea
Look at the habits and company one keeps are they their habits and you are just being courteous? Such a thing can occur without imbibing with them as deference oh you can have the alcohol i'm in the mood for tea or you can have the tea i'm in the mood for water same with smokes of various sorts. If they are just being courteous in the alcohol and smokes it'll show after that.

Thats per example as it could be sports, holidays or anything where obligated and being courteous is involved. Where one's true self has to be repressed if that is indeed what makes you happy whether others see it as a fault or not does not matter when people say it does it is an excuse to get control over another when they dont have it them self like the never drank or been drunk proud to be a Debbie downer Virgo card on all of those that are way more experienced some so much they could teach that fool to cut it out as they are beyond drunk to where they dont even drink any more etc. it is guaranteed that such people happy to play the brow bating game are overly addicted to something else 100% of the time so finding and threatening it is their wake up call to focus on what they do not what others do.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join