It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela effect Sherbet or Sherbert

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What do you remember?

I remember SherBERT, there was not SherBET. It was always SherBERRRRRRT.

Everyday it seems I'm remembering a different place...

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Sherbert.
Orange Sherbert.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I think sherbert and sherbet had a reciprocal agreement with Mandela because I remember it always being called both names always.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Looks like this domain is stuck in the other dimension. The Dimension that we still 'member: sweetpeaskitchen.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

sherbet (n.)
c. 1600, zerbet, "favorite cooling drink of the East," made from diluted fruit juice and sugar and cooled with fresh snow when possible, from Turkish serbet, from Persian sharbat, from Arabic sharba(t) "a drink," from shariba "he drank." Formerly also sherbert. Related to syrup, and compare sorbet.

Etymology
edit on 7242023 by seattlerat because: mai spilling sugs

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Perhaps it's "sherbet" proper, but as kids, "sherbert" is how our minds heard it?

I remember it as "sherbet" because if you've ever heard of "Thrifty's Ice Cream", it was THEE pharmacy store to go to for their insanely cheap, high quality, cylindrical scoops of ice creamery perfection!

Sherbet, rainbow or orange, was my FAVORITE! Followed by Black Cherry and Triple-Malted Crunch!! Can't leave out Mint & Chip!! Lol.

I recently found their ice cream at a Rite Aid in Castro Valley, Ca. I couldn't believe it!! It had been at least 30 years+ since I tasted pure joy!

Thrifty's went out of business, then came back with a few stores, then closed again and apparently sold the ice cream rights to Rite Aid.

Anyway , yeah..."sherbet" for the win!!
⭐+🇺🇲
edit on 7/24/2023 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Sherbet and sherbet or even sorbet are different things.

"Sherbet, pronounced "SHER-but," is the usual word for the frozen sweet dessert made from fruit or fruit juices. Sherbert, with an additional r in the second syllable and pronounced "SHER-bert," is less commonly used. In Britain, sherbet is a sweet powder used to make a drink bubbly or eaten by itself."

I've had this argument before and had to read the BS.

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 09:49 PM
link   

No dead guys suddenly being alive here.

Websters:

Sherbet, pronounced "SHER-but," is the usual word for the frozen sweet dessert made from fruit or fruit juices. Sherbert, with an additional r in the second syllable and pronounced "SHER-bert," is less commonly used. In Britain, sherbet is a sweet powder used to make a drink bubbly or eaten by itself.

www.grammarly.com...

I would disagree with less commonly used though. Always misspelled apparently.

Interestingly autocorrect doesn't change "orange sherbert". It provided both options in the default dictionary.
edit on 24-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I just looked at the container in the fridge .
Definitely Sherbert .

posted on Jul, 24 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33
[quote]Websters:

Speaking of Webster, I remember Emanuel Lewis dying in 1986, I think thats a much weirder ME than any of these spelling ones.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 12:41 AM
link   
with an r but then I'm a Brit and thats how we spell it still.

and wow, every single thing I was gonna use as an example is now spelled without the r in it....crazy!

Still not ready to believe in the mandela effect though, C3P0's leg cured me of that.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I recently had the same issue with ampersand & amperstand. I decided to chalk it up to hearing it said with a "t" in it too many times.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 03:40 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Always been sherbet and there have always been many people who mispronounced it sherbert.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: quietspectator

Ok, so why does Goth's container say otherwise?

I will have to look at mine when I get home tonight.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   

I remember my Grandma always pronounced it "sherbet" when I was growing up in the 90s and I always thought she was saying it wrong cuz I pronounced it "sherbert" .

I guess our generation messed it up at some point

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I saw another one the other night, Richard Simmons never wore a sweat band on his head. But I remember a sweat band.

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: coop039
I saw another one the other night, Richard Simmons never wore a sweat band on his head. But I remember a sweat band.

He didn't, he had sweat bands on his wrists but not his head because I remember his weird hairline and curly hair....

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Alternative acceptable spelling?

www.yourdictionary.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Always sherbet for me.

Hmmm... I remember these fondly from when I were a nipper:

www.amazon.com...

edit on 25-7-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join