It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Perlman makes threats to studio execs in reference to Hollywood on strike

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So the writers and actors strike continues and here Ron Perlman goes bonkers on the studio execs.

Has anyone missed them?

Hellboy? meh Sons of Anarchy? meh Beauty and the Beast? double meh

I wonder if the studio execs lawyers will demand he shut up? It would do is all a favor.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Hellboy? meh Sons of Anarchy? meh Beauty and the Beast? double meh

What does your opinion of his work have to with his comment? Are you trying to qualify the validity of his comment through his perceived talent? He certainly has been able to sell at the box office, which puts cash in the pockets of the studio executives.

Besides, you've got to expect a passionate response, from people who play passionate characters that make studio execs money, to the same studio execs threatening to wait the strike out and let the actors and writers lose their homes and let their children go hungry.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Defy ignorance bro

And by ignorance I mean your apparent lack of due diligence in the subject of sag-aftra

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SigmaXSquared

Defy ignorance bro

And by ignorance I mean your apparent lack of due diligence in the subject of sag-aftra

I understand it...both IATSE and SAG/AFTRA I plan to be on the picket line infront of Netflix when called.

Union Proud, Union Strong....

Anyone dissatisfied with the current state of the entertainment biz...change it...write a screenplay, script, TV series, anything. My production co. can turn a novel into a script if you have one. The studios are already beginning to fold...no product...no profit.

www.finaldraft.com...

If you have any imagination at all and can write a coherent ATS thread or post, you can write a movie script and make an obscene amount of money.

www.socreate.it...

edit on 16-7-2023 by olaru12 because: syntax

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

So his claim to fame is being the ugliest man to ever land in Hollywood. He is angry. Rich as hell and angry. Probably because he never got any sumptin until after he got the money. Surely not in his formative puberty years.

That being said. These are terroristic threats!! And you excuse it because in your mind, he is a talented PASSIONATE actor and he holds silmilar political views.

Predictable! Sad.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SigmaXSquared

First of all, I'm not your bro.

Second, you are saying I'm ignorant because I don't understand or sympathize with his terrorist threats?

Cool.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I have no problem with people supporting the little guys, the actors that have to wait tables, the poorly paid writers that have to compete with youtube, and a rapidly changing media world.

I have no problem with anyone that wants to walk a picket line.

But it's not ok to make terrorist threats against 'management'. And I think Mr. Perlman crossed that line here.,

Hopefully, he will be visited by some kind of LEO and will hear from a couple of studio lawyers. Maybe, oh no! He won't be able to work again.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Probably one of the few people on Earth who could play a caveman with almost no makeup. I commend him for standing up for his friends.

edit on 16-7-2023 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

But it's not ok to make terrorist threats against 'management'. And I think Mr. Perlman crossed that line here.,

Hopefully, he will be visited by some kind of LEO and will hear from a couple of studio lawyers. Maybe, oh no! He won't be able to work again.

Perhaps he did...personally I'd like to see Perlman take Bob Iger [Disney CEO] out behind the studio and bust him wide open for what he has done to a once great Production co. I suppose I'm a hypocrite...I still work on Disney projects and cash the checks.

edit on 16-7-2023 by olaru12 because: sp

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Just some coddled Leftist spouting off like a tough guy.

Who, in this upside down world, is perceived as important for some reason.

Society would not fail without this dude and his industry. When was the last time some trash collector was allowed the same exposure and media coverage this twit enjoys.

Because without the trash collector society will indeed fail.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:42 PM
link   

So his claim to fame is being the ugliest man to ever land in Hollywood. He is angry. Rich as hell and angry. Probably because he never got any sumptin until after he got the money. Surely not in his formative puberty years.

That being said. These are terroristic threats!! And you excuse it because in your mind, he is a talented PASSIONATE actor and he holds silmilar political views.

Predictable! Sad.

He may be rich, but I’m sure he has formed relationships with people in the industry who aren’t. He worked side by side with them, and he’s still a far cry from an executive, just a well known actor who debatably isn’t even A list.

I understand why he’s upset. The industry, at least in some ways is thriving, but with a disparity towards those who don’t actually make the content. Then you have a CEO who just locked in a few more years with crazy bonuses when many want change say that he’ll just wait until people lose their houses before hear them out.

Did Perlman cross a line with what he said and the implications? Sure. Do I understand where that emotion could have come from while not just being violent in intent? Absolutely.

I think the CEO’s words carried more character flaw though. It’s just gross that someone in a position of power and incredible wealth would rather see such destruction in people’s lives and the industry than have to compromise.

The demands aren’t crazy either. Actors don’t want to lose control of their likeness to AI. Writers don’t want entertainment to just become AI hive mind void of human creativity. And for those who aren’t stars in the industry but are still critical to it, they want to be able to live relatively near where they have to work without being poor.

This is about industry outsourcing. If it was done to China, it would be a bipartisan issue, we’ll AI isn’t even human, so it’s arguably worse.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuffx2

The garbage strikes in France got a lot of news, I remember hearing about it here in the states.

Perlman risked being in future works for what he said, which probably benefits the little guy more than himself.

What he said may have been too far, but I don’t see how it would be construed as obviously selfish.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Perhaps he did...personally I'd like to see Perlman take Bob Iger [Disney CEO] out behind the studio and bust him wide open for what he has done to a once great Production co. I suppose I'm a hypocrite...I still work on Disney projects and cash the checks.

It's quite silly though. He's an old over-paid successful actor. He's not going to go around busty exec heads in. And who cares what some rich actor thinks. He's not a writer. He's part of the problem of actors getting paid extensively more than writers (which matter a lot more IMO).

There's been quite a few shows ive liked that have gone down the gutter lately. The Witcher, Black Mirror, and a few others. Writing has been aweful.

These are big-budget shows with expensive actors but seems like they put zero effort into the writing.
edit on 16-7-2023 by Turquosie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie

There's been quite a few shows ive liked that have gone down the gutter lately. The Witcher, Black Mirror, and a few others. Writing has been aweful.

These are big-budget shows with expensive actors but seems like they put zero effort into the writing.

And that's the very reason I try and inspire ATS members to write what they think will be a positive change in all types of media.
I'm at best a halfassed writer but sell treatments and scripts on a regular basis. I also buy scripts that I think will fit into our small production companies model. Even with AI a writer can still make some serious coin. Think about it....everything you see on any media starts with someone writing it down first.

edit on 16-7-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

LOL....Okay, there.

The studio executive was quoted as saying that studios are intentionally delaying negotiations with the Writers Guild of America “until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses.”

www.bollyinside.com...

I don't know anything about Ron Pearlman's political views. But, considering the studio executive said he was going to let writers and actors lose their homes as a tactic, screw negotiations, Pearlman's, now deleted, threat to see THAT studio executive lose his home doesn't seem so much as a terroristic threat as a comeuppance.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Don't ya know if Perlman was a Republican, they would be singing his praises; striking a blow for the common man.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Don't ya know if Perlman was a Republican, they would be singing his praises; striking a blow for the common man.

Is he? I don't know. He could be just another RINO

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I’m sure that there are a lot of underpaid and overworked people in the industry that don’t get the credit and compensation that they deserve.

I do have an issue with the top tier people in the industry relying on a union though. They make millions upon millions a year. Maybe the revenue generated from the productions should be spread around more. But that would take money out of the pockets of people like Pearlman.

I’m sure that there are nuances and details that I’m not aware of. I literally don’t follow the movie scene at all.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuffx2

The sad part is a lot of these people who don’t make a lot are skilled laborers. It’s not entry level, we don’t have the debate of “should someone be able to live on minimum wage”.

And I think the frustration people have is a lack of good will from the decision makers, that’s where this seems to have started.

But what the CEO said was fuel on the fire. The industry is also at a crossroads when it comes to outsourcing to AI. So it makes sense that the workers are making such a stand before a line is crossed that won’t get walked back.

We all watched this happen to our manufacturing and other blue collar industries. We’ve even seen it with more entry level white collar like customer service.

We’re seeing a continuation of executives play a shell game to move money to shareholders so they can get bonuses. That’s not necessarily illegal, ironically they’re legally bound to decisions made in the interest of share holders. But that doesn’t change what the fallout is and who holds it.

I’m not implying the government has a place in the decisions, but as consumers it is our civic duty to recognize when workers are getting a raw deal and vote with our dollars to support them. One day it’s them, the next it may be us.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Is he? I don't know. He could be just another RINO

I don't know what he is either...but I do know he still makes millions from the streaming residuals he gets from "SOA"
He doesn't need Hollywood any more. Even a lowly bit player like myself make more from residuals than I do from my current SAG parts; minus 10 percent my agent gets off the top.

www.backstage.com...
edit on 16-7-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join