It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A startup says it’s begun releasing particles into the atmosphere

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Yup want to actually make a dent, bulldoze these mega cities move people into smaller more eco friendly towns and replant the forests.

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You know, I'm starting to consider a theory. All of our problems start in big cities.

They're crowded and uncomfortable.... "Hey, we're overpopulated. Kill the useless eaters. No more babies."

They're drowning in trash and stink... "Hey, pollution is top priority. Everyone must pretend to recycle."

They can't manage social order without descending into violence... "Hey, ban all guns."

See where I can go with this?

edit on 12/26/2022 by Maxmars because: Because I'm not perfect

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wow… we are moving into a quiescent sun phase and a subsequent grand solar minimum … and these jokers want to cool the planet some more. Totally nutty and ignoring good solid science ! They definitely should not be allowed to do this.
edit on 26-12-2022 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
oh im sure that this is a brilliant idea and nothing will go horribly wrong 🤦‍♂️😒

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As for our atmosphere . . .

Researchers from NASA and the University of Alaska
are about to perform an unusual radar experiment. They're going
to ping a near-Earth asteroid using shortwave radio.
The target is a 500-ft-wide space rock named "2010 XC15."
When it passes by Earth on Tuesday, Dec. 27th, the HAARP
array in Alaska will hit it with a pulse of 9.6 MHz radio waves.

Not ONLY that,

NOAA forecasters say that G1-class geomagnetic
storms are likely on Dec. 27th when a CME is expected to hit
Earth's magnetic field.

AND

space rock named "2010 XC15."
When it passes by Earth on Tuesday, Dec. 27th

SOURCE

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

The Present grand solar minimum will not End until 2030 . Look for Average Global Temperatures to Drop Below Normal for the Next 7 Years .

posted on Dec, 26 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Read a theory back in the early days of the internet, it proposed that society would continue to degrade till it reached a point where a civil war occurred then we would return to smaller town living in the aftermath with the destruction of the mega cities.

*shrugs* nothing we can do till the city folk elites eat each other or come to their senses that treating people like cattle in the megalopolis ends up with a bunch of monsters.

posted on Dec, 27 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
this means they have already been doing it.

posted on Dec, 27 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
a reply to: Irishhaf

You know, I'm starting to consider a theory. All of our problems start in big cities.

They're crowded and uncomfortable.... "Hey, we're overpopulated. Kill the useless eaters. No more babies."

They're drowning in trash and stink... "Hey, pollution is top priority. Everyone must pretend to recycle."

They can't manage social order without descending into violence... "Hey, ban all guns."

See where I can go with this?

It is conditioning.

I have family and friends that were born in a city. They get allergic smelling hay, and prefer Park Avenue and a penthouse view.

Me, I was born in the country, no city lights, farm living, land spreading out far and wide, out in the countryside.

A little poetic license there.

Seriously though, when I was younger, I dreamed of big cities, the lights, the hustle and bustle, and made a beeline to the city after graduation. But it did not take long for the bloom to fall of the rose.

Most people adjust, mentally and physically, to the environment they are accustomed to. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl. But just as often, you can take the man out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the man.

I think survival instincts are naturally developed, based on how and where you live. Each environment will come with it's own set of individual blueprints.

posted on Dec, 27 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nothing to worry about.

"Scientist"/"government" and "idiots", have been screwing with things they have no business with, from the beginning of time.

Life is much simpler and less stressful, if you just embrace the fact that only you, can protect you and yours, from the ignorant.

When "educated" people can't trust you with a kitchen knife or a "high capacity" magazine! You're a sheep, just a pet.

You can't "govern"/trust yourself?

Obviously the sky above you, doesn't belong to you.

Personally?... I'd just get a kitchen knife and High Capacity magazine and wait for "the particles" to fall.

But then again, fear isn't one of my virtues

posted on Dec, 27 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   
If Mexico had any brains they'd put the kibosh on this activity.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 02:11 AM
link   
In NZ it's obvious this is happening weird "rainbow clouds" and clearly seeding the skys

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Sounds like a scam to me

In any case I hope they have a lot of insurance and some very good lawyers, cos they may well need 'em !

Meanwhile, in the real world:

Can geoengineering fix the climate? Hundreds of scientists say not so fast

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
If the worst case predictions are true they don't have any other viable options except geoengineering.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The last time we tried to "save the planet" was the catalytic converter... you know, that thing on your exhaust system that drains horsepower, drops fuel mileage, and raised the cost of a new car considerably, leading to inflation?

For those who don't remember, California decided everyone must have this thing on their cars, and they managed to get it included in Federal law. They had to get rid of all that smog in Los Angeles! A few years later, catalytic converters started filling up with sulfur. When they had all the sulfur in them they could hold, they started releasing it as sulfur dioxide.

That's the same stuff that makes rotten eggs smell. It's why the catalytic converters used to smell so damn bad.

The thing about sulfur dioxide is it stinks, but it also breaks down pretty quickly. All it needs is sunlight, heat, and water. All these things are present in the atmosphere, so the sulfur dioxide broke down as nature intended... and became sulfuric acid. The catalytic converters said S+O2=SO2, and nature responded with 2H2O+SO2=H2+H2SO4.

Everyone should know what H2SO4 is... we had a nursery rhyme about it:

Poor, poor Johnny.
We'll not see Johnny more,
For what he thought was H2O
Was H2SO4!

H2SO4 is sulfuric acid... commonly known as "battery acid." In a diluted form, it's the acid in lead-acid car batteries. Really nasty, strong stuff. When it dissolves into water, it falls as... wait for it... drum roll, please... ACID RAIN!

We legislated acid rain!

I'll also add, for the home gardeners and farmers in here, that sulfur is one of the more common materials to acidify highly alkaline soil. That's why... it breaks down into SO2, which then becomes H2SO4, which makes the soil acidic for plants that need acidic soil. It's also pretty strong... a little dab'll do ya. Too much and it 'burns' the plants, same as fresh chicken poop will 'burn' plants... and for the same reason. Chicken poop has a lot of sulfur in it.

Mostly, that acid rain problem was fixed when we also legislated much lower sulfur content in gasoline and diesel. But that took a few years, and many thousands of acres of forest was wiped out in the process. Also, all that ocean acidification everyone likes to complain about? You know, the stuff that's killing the coral reefs? Compare the locations of all that acidification sometime with major shipping lanes and prevailing oceanic currents... they correlate. International shipping was one of the last transportation systems to decrease sulfur content. At one time, they were allowed sulfur content up to 1.5%! Compare to UKSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) at 15 ppm or 0.00015% (USA standards).

It's not carbonic acid. I just took a big swig of concentrated carbonic acid... mine says "Mountain Dew" on the side, but it comes in many flavors. I strongly, strongly suggest no one try to drink dilute sulfuric acid... see rhyme above.

Now I see this:

A startup claims it has launched weather balloons that may have released reflective sulfur particles in the stratosphere, potentially crossing a controversial barrier in the field of solar geoengineering.
From the source listed in the OP.

Sulfur is not natural in the atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is; it's a product of respiration and combustion and it provides the needed raw material for photosynthesis and plant growth. It can occur naturally in the atmosphere when a volcano erupts, though, which we refer to as a "volcanic winter" event... considered a very bad thing, as it tends to bring life to a screeching halt. Everyone still remember Winter Storm Elliot? You know, the massive blast of Arctic air that has killed so many people with that death count still rising? A volcanic winter is worse than that... much worse. It can last for years instead of days.

"Make Sunsets" should be called "Make Death."

Now, admittedly, the amount they are releasing is tiny... nowhere near enough to call for a doom-and-gloom chant... but the idea that one damn eco-idiot with more dollars than sense can decide to put any sulfur into the atmosphere purposely is what I find terrifying. The owner of Make Sunsets should be hauled up before an International Court and charged with nothing less than attempted genocide of the human race! When convicted, his death sentence should be carried out in a public forum, with pomp and circumstance, and aired on every communications device anywhere in the world.

This is why I argue so vehemently against the Global Warming hoax! It's one thing when radical extremists try to spread their hogwash, but it is quite another when they decide that since no one is listening to their BS they should "prove" it to everyone by destroying the damn planet!

There is no Global Warming. Any Climate Change that is occurring is the result of natural processes that have existed for millions of years. The BS being spread is unscientific drivel preached to those with weak minds to try and separate as many fools as possible from as much of their money as possible with their own uninformed, unthinking consent.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I've been saying that for years. That's the crux of all our political strife: people in the cities, many of whom never travel more than 25 miles from their birthplace, think they know what happens outside their little circle. They don't. No one living inside a metropolitan area should ever be allowed to affect laws that affect those in the country. What works as a stopgap for them will kill us... literally.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It looks like they've been studying the effects of sulphuric acid particles in the atmosphere for quite a long time. It also appears to be an extremely complicated endeavour, hence the controversy.

"Stratospheric aerosols are a small variable in the climate change equation," said Larry Thomason, a scientist at NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., and co-author on the paper. "But if you compare the climate system to a balanced scale, it doesn't take much to tip that scale. Stratospheric aerosols have that potential."

These stratospheric aerosols that need to be taken into account are heavily influenced by a natural source—volcanic eruptions.

When a volcanic plume reaches the stratosphere, it may inject sulfur dioxide. Within a month, the sulfur dioxide transforms into sulfuric acid droplets, which linger in the stratosphere and reflect sunlight. Human activities, such as burning wood and coal, can also increase the amount of sulfate aerosols in the stratosphere; however, human-caused effects are small compared to those of volcanoes.

"Even in times without major eruptions, the role of the stratosphere's sulfuric aerosol in climate has remained significant. If they are neglected, it can result in overestimates of global warming in coming decades, particularly if these aerosols remain present at current values or increase," said Thomason.

Vernier explains that the radiative effects of aerosols are noteworthy—about 1/3 that of carbon dioxide over the past decade. The average radiative forcing between 2000 and 2010 by stratospheric aerosols has cooled the Earth down at 0.1 watts per meter squared, while the amount of carbon dioxide emitted in the same decade has warmed the Earth at 0.3 watts per meter squared.

"Climate simulations should include the temporary cooling effect of stratospheric particles, said Vernier. "They have partially masked the warming from human derived greenhouse gases in the last decade."

climate.nasa.gov...#:~:text=Particles%20in%20upper%20atmosphere%20slow%20down%20 global%20warming,%28Mount%20St.%20Helens%20photo%20credit%3A%20USGS%29%20Jennifer%20LaPan

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Very interesting stuff... and a timely addition to our discussion.

It seems like the disconnects happen so often in the "climate warrior chanting" that it becomes harder and harder to believe it's just ignorance... I'm still having a hard time letting people know that electric car manufacturing is many times more damaging than manufacturing combustion cars... "But, but, it's zero emissions" is the response, as if the damage they do making them doesn't count. That's environmentalist marketing for ya!

Sulfur dioxide is - according to some - a solution to the "environmental problem" just because they figured it out on paper.

I can't help but want to call this a "Gorian solution."

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
a reply to: quintessentone

Very interesting stuff... and a timely addition to our discussion.

It seems like the disconnects happen so often in the "climate warrior chanting" that it becomes harder and harder to believe it's just ignorance... I'm still having a hard time letting people know that electric car manufacturing is many times more damaging than manufacturing combustion cars... "But, but, it's zero emissions" is the response, as if the damage they do making them doesn't count. That's environmentalist marketing for ya!

Sulfur dioxide is - according to some - a solution to the "environmental problem" just because they figured it out on paper.

I can't help but want to call this a "Gorian solution."

I agree and don't they know that what goes up must come down?

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Humans are their own worst enemy. Every other living thing on this planet, adapts to the changes in our environment.

Humans think they can control nature. Sulfar has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

We have seen the disastrous effects of indiscriminate use of other similar agents. Nature makes changes to sustain life on this planet, we are not as diligent.

I think the best thing we can do to help the planet is to leave it alone, and adapt like all the other species on this planet.

Of course, our egos will not let us do that, because we are so much smarter. We know just enough to destroy the whole thing.

I am playing devil's advocate here. People always claim humans are going against nature, but are we not in fact, a part of nature? We are not separate from the universe, we are the universe. We have brains, we are curious, we are capable of amazing things. Would it not be a waste if we just behaved like animals? Hunting, eating, sleeping, procreating, but not actually using our intellect and advancing?

Back when the first life started, the life forms significantly changed the atmosphere and environment, which enabled new forms life to evolve. Earth is drastically different now than it was then. After various climate changes, mass extinctions, and countless billions of species, we are here. How do we know what we are doing is not the intended will of the universe? Sure humans are arrogant and stupid, and for the most part we are stumbling in the dark. But maybe we are simply here to prepare the way for the next evolution of life, which will be a lot better than ours.

If all else fails though we could look out for whoever is building a very big train and buy some tickets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join