It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock and Roll was murdered

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you for that Tex! Sincerely.

Have you ever honestly teared up and shivered inside the first time you heard a song?

For me it was American Pie, I won't ever forget my emotions in that purely raw moment so many decades ago.

edit on 16-11-2022 by YellowBlueSky22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: pureblood69

Yeah, so white, rock 'n' roll. White like Little Richard, white like Chuck Berry, white like Memphis Minnie and Big Mama Thornton and Robert Johnson.

White like the blank page that contains all the intelligence and learning of white-Fascist trash culture.

you have a dark racist soul.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A great young instrumental metal band from Japan. youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: zenartist

They sound good! I love the bass.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Thank you....some sense.

Black musicians were the inspiration behind Rock N Roll.
Let alone this being the first recognised Rock N Roll recording.

Music is in a state of constant evolution taking inspiration from many varied sources.
Saying Rock N Roll is White is just dumb.

Just as dumb as all the stupid, inane and divisive MOBO Awards and such #e.

Rock music has become very stale in my opinion.....stifled by the large corporate whores that have a stranglehold over the music industry.

I could rant about the state of the music industry....but I don't want to bore the tits off everyone.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Can't forget this White guy!

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   
And no forgetting these White guys!

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pureblood69
a reply to: MykeNukem

So Randy or Eddie?

I was in the Alpine Valley crowd on that absolutely amazing, then suddenly horrific night, just before going overseas to experience something more horrible than I could even imagine at that age, and wouldn't ever wish on anyone at any age.

I'll be rocking Stevie all day in joyous sadness of his legendary greatness and that horrible month now.

At full volume, and possibly in tears.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   
A lot of this new age metal sounds like some dying cow singing, garbage. My gym plays the new age rap crap. It pisses me off so much I end up upping my PR’s.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Truth. As I heard it, Elvis was inspired by the Black blues singers he grew up around. Elvis certainly didn't want to replace anyone.

There would be no rock at all without jazz and the blues!

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   
You can't kill Rock & Roll.

2nd line.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Yeah, so white, rock 'n' roll. White like Little Richard, white like Chuck Berry, white like Memphis Minnie and Big Mama Thornton and Robert Johnson.

White like the blank page that contains all the intelligence and learning of white-Fascist trash culture.

I notice you left out Rosetta Tharp. Shame on you.

This whole argument is old and tired. Rock and roll was an evolution (at least in part) from R&B , just as R&B was an evolution of earlier blues styles, jazz, gospel, and so on. No one can really lay claim to its inception, but all those you mentioned and more deserve their place in it's history.

I can't imagine rock and roll without all of the cultures who participated in its evolution to today.

ETA: To attribute rock and roll at its roots to any single group is erroneous. It is true however, that what we know as "rock and roll" today is more of a white American evolution, but even that has some outside influences, as bands like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin can attest to.
edit on 11/16/2022 by Klassified because: wording and ETA

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I cant listen to the radio. All modern rock/metal on it is super compressed, perfect, sterile, the same.

Its a shame.

However there are some hidden gems out there.

Yes, this totally.

I can hear it because I have done studio work as sound engineer. I did that work when digital efx, sequencing and synthesis were being perfected, just before CDs were marketed. When I sold my studio, I went digital for my own musical projects. I am all too aware of what they have done to music with the developing tech.

I've been recording HD audio from Youtube with a digital recording program. When you look at the track waveform, you can see when the music is totally compressed, no real dynamics, clipped off at the top. When I hear an auto tuner on some vocals I change it fast. Cher had the right idea, use it as a vocal effect, not to control vocal pitch. Some of the older recordings, before such processing was available, the vocals are naturally pure or better yet, you can hear the imperfections of the vocalist.

Rock used to be live, raw and flawed, esp. punk rock and the Detroit rock scene (it seemed to me). The music now-a-days is a sterile formulated product propped up with digital effects. No need for artistic talent these days, they have an app for that I'm sure.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I grew up in the 80s and I love the rock/heavy metal stuff. I cannot stand rap. I think a lot of people would say I am racist for feeling that way. I actually just came across this the other day and it seems apropos for this thread. Successful Ex-Music Director Exposes Secrets behind Rap Music and How to Stop the Violence

I absolutely think that the freedom loving, in your face, bucking authority type rock was engineered to die and the violence promoting, thuggish attitude, slave to money rap was promoted in it's place.
Having said that, I have heard some rap songs that I like. Usually the older cleaner more dancey ones. Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" comes to mind.

As an adult, I'm seriously appalled at what I listened to when I was young and didn't really think about the bad messages. A LOT of rock and heavy metal glorifies casual sex to say the least. As such, I grew up having skewed ideas of what a desirable woman would do to please men.

Anyway...
annnndddd...

edit on 16-11-2022 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well, just wanted to add my 2 chords

These guys do a killer live show.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

live, raw and flawed

Truth.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I saw Aerosmith and Run DMC perform together live. It was entertaining.

I listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd to this day and enjoy it.

Not about color for me.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Truth. As I heard it, Elvis was inspired by the Black blues singers he grew up around. Elvis certainly didn't want to replace anyone.

There would be no rock at all without jazz and the blues!

Gospel too!

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: YellowBlueSky22

Gospel too!

Yes! How could I have forgotten that?

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the OP, but I think it goes much deeper. Speaking from my personal experience, in the 1960s and 1970s, there were all kinds of music and it flourished side by side on the radio. Pop, Soul, Rock, and in the '70s, hard rock and disco were comfortably side by side as well. But in the 1980s, something changed. Towards the mid-1980s, Hair Metal came along and seemingly wiped everything else out. Then in the early 1990s, Grunge totally wiped out Hair Metal and it disappeared from the airwaves. The late 1990s brought Alternative Rock and it ruled the airwaves. After that, about all you could hear was pop and rap. It seems like somebody is forcing what people will listen to from behind the curtain in Oz. Why did each new type of music come along and totally obliterate everything else? And how was that possible? I'm certain everybody didn't just suddenly lose interest in listening to their favorite type of music. People's tastes don't change all at once like that.

And I've also noticed that starting in the 1980s as well, this phenomenon was happening to lots of other things. More personal experience: I've always had kind of weak ankles, so I always wear "high-top" shoes, and high-top tennis shoes, too. When rap music hit in the late-1980s, everybody suddenly started wearing high-top tennis shoes. You know why. This was all right by me, because I always wore them anyway. I wasn't joining in on the fad, just being my normal self. So, for a decade or so, they were in every shoe store. But by the early 2000s, somebody deemed they were no longer to be around, so they disappeared. I mean vanished! I needed a new pair in 2003 and went to 11 different shoe stores before I finally found only ONE SINGLE PAIR. At each store where I couldn't find them any more, I was told the same thing over and over: "Nobody wears them anymore." Well, the fact that they weren't stocked on any shelves probably had a lot to do with the reason why nobody was wearing them anymore. I'm pretty sure! When I pointed this out, they just looked at me like I was from Mars.

I mean, look around. Remember when tooth brushes used to have straight handles? Then somebody came out with those kinds that bent up toward the top. When was the last time you saw a straight-handled toothbrush in a store? From my experience, they don't even make them anymore. The reason I noticed this is because I needed a new toothbrush but not a new toothbrush holder, it was still in good condition. But all I could find everywhere I looked was the ones with curved handles, which did not fit in my perfectly usable toothbrush holder any more. So, I was forced to get rid of my old toothbrush case because there was nothing to put in it. Somebody decided to make it obsolete.

The same with video recorders and videotapes. When the industry moved on to DVDs, they wiped out the videotape market. I still play my old videotapes because they still work fine. But, did you know that the very last company that made videotapes stopped making them in 2010? They are not made anymore - they are totally obsolete by industry standards. I'm being forced to move on when I really have no need to. Sure technology moves on, but it does so differently these days. These days, new technology doesn't just appear, the old technology it replaces totally disappears. And it seems intentional. You're aware of 78 r.p.m. records, right? They seem to have been replaced by 33 1/3 r.p.m. album technology around the mid-1950s. Albums could hold more music per disc, which was a good thing. But........ Did you know that The Beatles still put out 78 r.p.m. records for their fans in places like India (who didn't have electricity and used those old wind-up crank phonographs) up until about the 1970s?

Somebody is in control of what people will use, wear, listen to or eat. And that's just not right. I know it's going on, though. You'd have to be blind not to see it. Just think about these things I've said.

TCB

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join