It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scan your smile to pay for your shopping - huge checkout change on way for supermarkets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Morning ATS Colleagues.

Just came across this during my morning coffee.

It seems Mastercard are trialling facial recognition to pay for your shopping. First cashless, now cardless?

"“The trusted technology that uses your face or fingerprint to unlock your phone can now be used to help consumers speed through the checkout. With Mastercard’s new Biometric Checkout Programme, all you will need is yourself.”"

Is this why new self service tills with cameras and screens have been rolled out in recent months? (discussed elsewhere on ATS and I'll add the link if I can find it)

For your perusal ....

Scan your smile to pay for your shopping - WalesOnline

Thoughts?

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

So, now when you take a photo of someone, you are stealing there identity?

(Holding phone up to camera showing picture of random stranger) "Thank you for shoping at ripoff mart. Have a nice day."

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

Not really. The biometric scanner is actually taking hundreds of pictures of you at checkout in that brief moment and running this against a protocol that determines 'realness'.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Well, my only thought here is that this is just another way for the damn banks to take money and keep people in line buying more useless crap to keep the mega corps in line with what they want (buying more teck) Anyway I do not see this happening on any large scale any time soon.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not really. The biometric scanner is actually taking hundreds of pictures of you at checkout in that brief moment and running this against a protocol that determines 'realness'.

That is what they said about the fingerprint readers also. They are so easy to fake a fingerprint on you would not believe it. Remember years ago when laptops had fingerprint readers? Wonder why they don't have them any more?

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   

That is what they said about the fingerprint readers also.

Try going through a facial recognition device with a 2D photo and get back to me.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   

How will this system be able to be manipulated by the elites who have body doubles, especially when this is done through a blockchain?

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Fingerprint readers are fairly standard on business class laptops still.
They're widely used and even required in most healthcare related fields.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:51 AM
link   
All I have to say is.... No.
That isn't welcome here.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Fingerprint readers are fairly standard on business class laptops still.
They're widely used and even required in most healthcare related fields.

That is scarry. All you need is a printout of the person's fingerprint with a drop of oil on the paper. The scanner will think it is an actual fingerprint on skin.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm so glad we got past the Model T.

Because it seems ANYTHING that might be used to make things easier, is now bad.

Yes, this probably could be used for nefarious reasons, but, I like the idea.

And this isn't going to change the fact that "THEY" already have all your info. If you have a mortgage, a social media account, a cell phone, an internet account. They already have most of your info. And they also have most people's pics because you all post them just like me.

It's called progress. Don't be so afraid of it. Don't be so afraid period. Remember, that Second Amendment will save you. Not really, but it's nice to say.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:02 AM
link   

That is what they said about the fingerprint readers also. They are so easy to fake a fingerprint on you would not believe it. Remember years ago when laptops had fingerprint readers? Wonder why they don't have them any more?

Normal organic technology progress or planned tech progress, either way, fingerprint scans weren't foolproof but they had their advantages over previous methods. Just as a face scan has advantages over a fingerprint. Can it be hacked or used for nefarious reasons? sure it can but not as easily as previous methods. Besides don't they still use fingerprint scans at banks?

Regardless companies are always going to look to process payments faster and cheaper, they don't care about unintended or different risks unless it affects their bottom line. It doesn't mean there should be oversight etc. but that's where the government comes in, and do we really want our government deeking around in anything else?

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

So now instead of waiting on someone in front of you to dig out their card, you will have to wait for for them to redo their makeup, hair, and put on the right glasses to match what the machine thinks is them? And you think this is an improvement?

Speaking of glasses, that is another problem with facial recognition. The glasses distort the face and make it unreadable. They can't get a consistent scan if you have strong glasses. This has caused several trials to give up.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Regardless companies are always going to look to process payments faster and cheaper, they don't care about unintended or different risks unless it affects their bottom line.

Payment transactions are already processed in seconds, this is more about liability mitigation. Fraudulent activity is still a large revenue loss for the issuers/acquirers and payment networks.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Speaking of glasses, that is another problem with facial recognition. The glasses distort the face and make it unreadable. They can't get a consistent scan if you have strong glasses. This has caused several trials to give up.

Clear glasses are not a problem, CBP has been using these devices for years at airport customs checks.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:22 AM
link   

a reply to: MiddleInsite

So now instead of waiting on someone in front of you to dig out their card, you will have to wait for for them to redo their makeup, hair, and put on the right glasses to match what the machine thinks is them? And you think this is an improvement?

Pretty sure that isn't how biometric face scan tech works, make up variations wouldn't make a difference nor would glasses. Regardless if Master Cards' vendors don't like it, it won't be used or adopted. I could see its advantages in convenience stores, gas stations, etc., and other retailers. Again if it isn't secure enough or easy to use it won't be used by enough vendors and it will be either tweaked or abandoned for the next tech breakthrough

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Regardless if Master Cards' vendors don't like it, it won't be used or adopted. I could see its advantages in convenience stores, gas stations, etc., and other retailers.

EMVCo chip cards weren't popular in the United States because it required upgrading the terminal to a chip reader/SoftPOS. This will be the same but the payment networks have leverage about using their product and will eventually compel this through various types of incentivization.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Regardless companies are always going to look to process payments faster and cheaper, they don't care about unintended or different risks unless it affects their bottom line.

Payment transactions are already processed in seconds, this is more about liability mitigation. Fraudulent activity is still a large revenue loss for the issuers/acquirers and payment networks.

I mean at the POS, at the register for the vendor, face recognition is faster than using a card chip/or PIN.

Master Card wants face recognition, for a multitude of reasons, security obviously, but full implementation of face recognition tech would have cost and time-saving aspects as well.

Fast Verification

Another major advantage of face recognition technology is it's fast verifying or processing nature resulting in contactless user authentication.

accurascan.com...

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I mean at the POS, at the register for the vendor, face recognition is faster than using a card chip/or PIN.

It will probably be about the same, the facial ID device still has to interact with the payment network which is where the largest portion of time running the kernels takes place.

Master Card wants face recognition, for a multitude of reasons, security obviously, but full implementation of face recognition tech would have cost and time-saving aspects as well.

They aren't at that point yet, they haven't even stepped into the EID world like some other clients of ours. It's being discussed but this is more of a security/convenience factor.

Fast Verification

Another major advantage of face recognition technology is it's fast verifying or processing nature resulting in contactless user authentication.

That's purely a facial recognition device that is not connected to a network gateway or doing payment processing. This adds time as security protocols need to be run and verified, then the payment authorization takes places. This all happens in seconds so latency is not really a major concern with facial ID implementation.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Regardless if Master Cards' vendors don't like it, it won't be used or adopted. I could see its advantages in convenience stores, gas stations, etc., and other retailers.

EMVCo chip cards weren't popular in the United States because it required upgrading the terminal to a chip reader/SoftPOS. This will be the same but the payment networks have leverage about using their product and will eventually compel this through various types of incentivization.

I have no doubt it is coming, too much money has been spent on research and development. If it wasn't more secure companies wouldn't want to use it, but all this tracking and picture taking is likely to get individual hackles up on a conspiracy site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join