It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SCOTUS is currently deciding if you have a constitutional right to privacy….

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: TzarChasm

Technically I am pro choice, I believe in / abortion when the mother's life is in danger. I am 100% against Roe V Wade, it's a flawed argument. I can not privately kill someone and it not be a crime because I did it in private with a Dr.

I still have my right to privacy even though I can't commit murder in private to make it not a crime.

BTW your source says SCoTUS should overturn Roe V Wade and send it to the states, that is the LARGEST group in the poll at 44%.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm on board with that decision.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

And Citizens United went beyond "corporations are people" but so what? That's not how it's portrayed. Occam's is right. Whatever you think about the fundamental issue, Roe was bad case law and a very flawed legal decision. It should not have been settled the way it was no matter what your feelings on abortion are.

The issue should not have been taken from the states to begin with, and it will not magically become illegal everywhere if this ruling goes through the way the draft suggests. Some states will make more restrictive and others much looser. New York will be able to kill them right up until the head comes out just like they do now. That won't change.
edit on 3-5-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

Removing the federal gov from "your body your choice" is what doing away with Roe V wade would do, facts

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

People are blinded by their own beliefs to realize that a Pandora's box will be opening.
Personal beliefs should never infringe on personal freedoms.

Oh please please sermon to us oh hypcrite of hypocrites, you have NO right to talk about "blinded by beliefs"

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And Citizens United went beyond "corporations are people" but so what? That's not how it's portrayed. Occam's is right. Whatever you think about the fundamental issue, Roe was bad case law and a very flawed legal decision. It should not have been settled the way it was no matter what your feelings on abortion are.

The issue should not have been taken from the states to begin with, and it will not magically become illegal everywhere if this ruling goes through the way the draft suggests. Some states will make more restrictive and others much looser. New York will be able to kill them right up until the head comes out just like they do now. That won't change.

People just hate to loose an argument... and this is a big one.

New Yorkers as a whole really don't care what happens in Mississippi (or visa versa); people today simply hate to be told their opinion is wrong.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: VoodooChili

I remember how outraged I was with the Patriot Act and one of those rare occasions I was against Republicans and despised the Bush administration. But that was another time and another era, we are now living with the results of the biggest killer of our privacy rights and freedoms, thanks the unpatriotic piece of crap act.

Interestingly 20 years later, nobody have stricken down no even the democrats when they got in power after Bush. Soo what that tells you, both party just love to rob citizens from their rights.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

The Democrats are in charge of the White House and both chambers of Congress. They would love the torch and pitchfork crowd to come out so they can implement martial law and their version of the fascist state.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Republicans shot themselves in their foot and that is going to hunt them during mid terms. The dmeocrats played a wild card and it is working.

This will be the main issue until mid term, the rights to personal privacy, the rights to your body.

Regardless of what many come to cry about, sorry but guess what Democrats are Marxist communist and now Republicans has been taken down low in the same category and for what?

None of this parties give a crap about your body your right, they are about what they can do with it to their benefit.

fools, wake up, stop crying about fetuses this about personal rights, but Republican hypocrite politicians love to play with peoples feeling.

And Remember who love to pander more than the democrats to big pharma, your body your choice will be no longer.

People sometimes just can not think straight, due to political affiliations and emotions.

I should not even give a crap about wade vs Roe because I am not going to get pregnant any time ever, but I care about personal rights, our rights, our body.

Be careful what you wish for.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Even the left's hero judge Ginsberg said basically the same thing.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

..except in the case of murder. No one has a right to murder another human (i don't support any death penalty either). The problem we have, and that is ignored widely in this discussion, is that a lot of folks (myself included) believes abortion is murdering babies.

Should a Texas woman that has an abortion in Mexico be tried for murder when she returns to Texas. If so what is a reasonable punishment if convicted.

Does Texas have standing in Mexico?

Would be news to me.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

They don't need to. They already prosecute people here in America for things that are legal in the country they do them. Such as sex with minors.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Did not Texas still have anti sodomy laws, in the books, I mean even after supreme court ruling that was unconstitutional,
bizarro world.

Sodomy Laws Applicable to Same sex (law found unconstitutional and thus unenforceable)
Penalty for Sodomy Pen. 21.06 Homosexual conduct: Class C misdemeanor; Note: found unconstitutional by Lawrence v. Texas (2003) and thus unenforceable.

Still in the books,

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Soo the violence starts with the court leaked draft, California is the first to throw the first rock, or bottle.

LA abortion protest turns violent: Protesters lob 'rocks and bottles' at cops, smash cruiser's window

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   
From what I understand; The fourth is always in effect until violated and when that right is violated most typically plead the fifth. Making the entire burden of proof fall on the court.

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wrong thread...
edit on 4-5-2022 by ATSAlex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox
Are they intentionally wanting us to bring out the torches and pitchforks?

Well, Hey If that's how you perform abortions...

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
If the SCOTUS determines that US citizens do not have a constitutionally or federally protected right to privacy then….

States still have a say in the matter.

State Laws concerning Privacy that already exist shouldn't be affected. If the Constitution doesn't include a provision for Privacy, Responsibility then falls to the States to define it and enforce it. And just like Medical Marijuana, the Federal Government can't contradict the State Law. Except in certain limited circumstances.
edit on 5-5-2022 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

UMM it is called the 4th amenment.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Who was the last person prosecuted for it? Also, your reply has literally no bearing on what I said.

Federal law prohibits an American citizen or resident to travel to a foreign country with intent to engage in any form of sexual conduct with a minor (defined as persons under 18 years of age).

www.justice.gov...#:~:text=Federal%20law%20prohibits%20an%20American,to%20travel%20fo r%20these%20purposes.

Like I said, you can be prosecuted for doing something that is legal in the place you do it.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 10:58 PM
link   

What?

Privacy is defined in Article 4. Making something illegal does not infringe on your privacy. Nothing is stopping you from getting an abortion illegally, just like the countless other criminal acts that can't be proven without a warrant.

Article 14 states, "...nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law"

Abortion directly deprives an unborn child of life and liberty. It would seem legalizing abortion across the board is unconstitutional.

Pretty clear.

In the actual decision on Roe v Wade, the Supreme Court stated:

"A State may properly assert important interests in safeguarding health, maintaining medical standards, and in protecting potential life. At some point in pregnancy, these respective interests become sufficiently compelling to sustain regulation of the factors that govern the abortion decision. ... We, therefore, conclude that the right of personal privacy includes the abortion decision, but that this right is not unqualified and must be considered against important state interests in regulation."

What that means is, the "right" to privacy with regards to abortion is not absolute and the State CAN impose restrictions on abortion.

Kind of convenient how the political narrative always seems to leave that part out.

But I tell you what: go get all the abortions you want as long as you pay for it yourself and my tax dollar isn't paying Planned Parenthood to perform them.

edit on 5-5-2022 by rounda because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join