It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glasgow and Scotland

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

Not Glasgow, but I lived in this house near Inverurie for some time when I first went to school. Stone floors... my feet would cramp up at night when I got out of bed and put my feet on them. Can't imagine how old this house is. Was ancient when I was there in the 70's.

As far as I understand it is always cold in such houses.

In addition, I looked at the temperature of the seasons for Glasgow and concluded that it rarely exceeds +20 degrees Celsius.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: turretless

Thats Cranhill, bit of a crap hole really.

They houses look council or association, you can tell because the majority have the same windows.

Think they are part of greater Glasgow.

And they do indeed look to be about 2 or 3 apartment suitable for families with 2 or 3 kids.

Glasgow Cathedral is still in operation and still holds services far as im aware.

As to the necropolis, well apparently there has been a load of poltergeist activity surrounding the crypts and area in question reported over the years .

I'm not sure as to when the last burials were but i think the place dates back to about the 17 or 18 hundreds if memory serves.

edit on 18-4-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376

Search for Rubislaw Quarry,Aberdeen, Scotland in a map app.Im on my phone so linking is a pain.

Thank you. I read information about it and looked at its photos.

I thought it was much larger in diameter.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Anyhoo on to more palatable topics, the art galleries here in Glasgow are rather beautiful, take "The Burrell Collection" at Pollok Park or "Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum" for instance.

Both are free to visit and have quite a few interesting pieces to behold.

Thank you. I looked at both of these buildings.

Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a noble and beautiful building.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam
Nice to see a local. I spent 10 years in Glasgow, originally from Balvaird in the Black Isle.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Some of the architecture in Glasgow is a sight to behold turretless.

Check out "Charles Rennie Mackintosh" contributions.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:14 AM
link   

May to September it gets above 20 quite frequently. But not if it's raining. Which is often. Glasgow is one of my favourite cities, love the people there even if I did have the piss taken out of my teuchter accent (which is rich if you've ever heard a proper weegie speak)
edit on 18-4-2022 by Revolvacron because: spelling

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Thats Cranhill, bit of a crap hole really.

They houses look council or association, you can tell because the majority have the same windows.

Think they are part of greater Glasgow.

And they do indeed look to be about 2 or 3 apartment suitable for families with 2 or 3 kids.

Glasgow Cathedral is still in operation and still holds services far as im aware.

As to the necropolis, well apparently there has been a load of poltergeist activity surrounding the crypts and area in question reported over the years .

I'm not sure as to when the last burials were but i think the place dates back to about the 17 or 18 hundreds if memory serves.

Thanks for the info.

I watched the video to the end.

The first thing I want to say is that you have Putin's agents. At 01:36 a voice of a Russian guide is heard.

The second thing I want to say is that your cathedral is very beautiful.

The necropolis is surprising in that it is located at a height above the city. Is this a Scottish tradition?

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I think the location is more to do with being next to St. Mungo's Cathedral rather than any sort of tradition.

Suppose one could argue that the Cathedral is on or about the hill so it could be seen from further away back when Glasgow was not exactly the sprawling metropolis she has become.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Not so much a tradition as it is Glasgow being built on quite uneven, hilly terrain, as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Some of the architecture in Glasgow is a sight to behold turretless.

Check out "Charles Rennie Mackintosh" contributions.

I found houses similar to those whose photo is in the first post of the topic - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8624017,-4.2057976,3a,75y,155.15h,108.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYDTRcV_EqcRpiyIYgb4gQA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I read information about Charles Rennie Mackintosh but I didn't understand anything.

His The Willow Tearooms seems like an ordinary building to me.

I don't know where to find the Former Daily Record offices and Former Glasgow Herald offices.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Apparently "In 1904, the paper's growing success was reflected when the Record moved into a purpose-built headquarters at Renfield Lane in Glasgow city centre."

Don't know if that will help with your search.

As to the former Glasgow Herold offices, came across this article which may be of assistance.

www.glasgowtimes.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolvacron

May to September it gets above 20 quite frequently. But not if it's raining. Which is often. Glasgow is one of my favourite cities, love the people there even if I did have the piss taken out of my teuchter accent (which is rich if you've ever heard a proper weegie speak)

Thank you. And then I already thought that the weather in Scotland is very sad.

Your schools look interesting - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8621694,-4.2068676,3a,75y,193.88h,109.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szIJ5QEoAPTH-iar-HxVd_A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:45 AM
link   

I think the location is more to do with being next to St. Mungo's Cathedral rather than any sort of tradition.

Suppose one could argue that the Cathedral is on or about the hill so it could be seen from further away back when Glasgow was not exactly the sprawling metropolis she has become.

Is Glasgow Cathedral and St. Mungo's Cathedral the same church?

As far as I remember, there is St. Mungo's Hospital in Rowling's Harry Potter books, but I thought it was a made-up name since I had never heard of such a saint.

How's the Loch Ness Monster doing? I haven't heard anything about it for a long time. Has it sunk?

originally posted by: Revolvacron

Not so much a tradition as it is Glasgow being built on quite uneven, hilly terrain, as far as I know.

I noticed that some streets in Glasgow have a big slope.

Yesterday I talked about the eclecticism of Glasgow houses, but today I get a different impression from other parts of the city - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8632362,-4.2129502,3a,75y,297.37h,98.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGFct79uJGIaoXivzEQl9aw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Now I see streets with houses quite similar to each other.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Apparently "In 1904, the paper's growing success was reflected when the Record moved into a purpose-built headquarters at Renfield Lane in Glasgow city centre."

Don't know if that will help with your search.

As to the former Glasgow Herold offices, came across this article which may be of assistance.

Well. Let's leave this architect alone. In any case, I can not connect to the site to which you gave a link.

I like these strange old red brick buildings with no clear purpose - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8644134,-4.2224931,3a,75y,357.45h,107.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szlbZJ4yACyjeng2mqhMiYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

What is it? The reconstructed building of a former church? - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8651508,-4.2262532,3a,75y,65.03h,95.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPKuosM0Odzq1-1MrW98oWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It is indeed the same place.

www.historyhit.com...#:~:text=Glasgow%20Cathedral%20(also%20known%20as,not%20'un%2Droofed'.

Never hear the poem "Here is the bird that never flew. Here is the tree that never grew. Here is the bell that never rang. Here is the fish that never swam"?

Thats all about St Mungo and contained within the cities motif.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Looks like an old garage or the like. Look at those big massive arched windows all the same, nice architecture indeed. Might have been an old bingo/dance hall at one point or something similar.

As to the other building it looks to be a hostel/hotel or pub now.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

It is indeed the same place.

Never hear the poem "Here is the bird that never flew. Here is the tree that never grew. Here is the bell that never rang. Here is the fish that never swam"?

Thats all about St Mungo and contained within the cities motif.

No, I have not heard this poem.

The only Scottish poet on my bookshelf is Robert Burns (in Russian translation).

Zelenograd strikes back!

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Well "To a Mouse" is crazy enough in Glaswegian.

I canny even imagine how that would translate to Russkiy if I'm honest.

Cool Zelenograd motif.

Our Squirrels are mostly all grey now.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolvacron

there was someone posting from Tain earlier we sure do get about and ATS has more than its fair share of Scottish members on the boards .

It's a fair bet your surname starts with a P, J or ,S from where you were born and why it's called the black isle , nothing to do with all the with witchcraft or devil worship trials Of the past that wee Crankie just apologised for

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join