It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation Shame

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
What you're complaining about has to do with ideology and not age.

To be fair, no one wants to touch on the one thing that's always skirted around -- nothing springs up in a void with no meddling, so who taught and passed on that ideology?

I figure I'm just as accountable for other millennial idiots masquerading as parents & citizens as the next generation (and I do go after "us" readily) What I think the issue is, is a group is just not used to the same being expected. In other words, it's NOT a bad idea to go after Millennial kin that wreck shizola, and it's equally ok to look to who reared them and bestowed the world the problem children in the first place. I will tell you right now -- a hell of a lot of the M entitlement attitude, came from B parents. Remember, Millennial here, with a Boomer and a Silent Gen parent -- not talking out my ass, I grew up watching the ideology of "Somebody else lift a finger" take shape further. And boy, did it work on my Gen X older brother. Not so much me and my younger brother (thanks for the reality checks, dad, it helped!)

Take aim at Millennials, we earned it. Go light on the oldest ones, they're just X'ers born a little late. But you've got to be able to take the licks openly in return -- and right now, ESPECIALLY when looking at just the expectation of vaccination Just Because Old, Boomers are looking insanely spoiled. I wonder where my generation got it from, eh?

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Young people are our future, but what have they done for society so far? Us old codgers have paid income tax, property taxes and sales taxes for decades. We contributed to Social Security and Medicare for decades before getting a penny back (I recently turned 65). Most of us never get anything back for what we gave to workers comp.

We've bought houses, cars, food, clothing, furniture, electronics, electricity, gasoline, fuel oil, natural gas, etc. We paid sales taxes on most of these things, but just as importantly, our purchases provided jobs for people who produced, transported and sold them.

The money we earned and placed in banks, stocks, 401Ks, etc., was used by bankers and financiers to fund all kinds of things that make our lives better.

Most of us who stayed out of trouble, worked hard, stayed in school and delayed gratification had little need of social welfare programs like food stamps, Section 8 housing, public housing, WIC, Medicaid, earned income tax credit and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (AKA "welfare"). We helped pay for all those things.

We raised our kids at great expense and inconvenience, occasional heartache and worry, and lots of love and support.

I suspect ungrateful, inexperienced Millennials, Gen Zs and Gen Alphas will sing a different tune after they've slogged their way to retirement age. When I was an ignorant, ungrateful youth and young adult, I had no idea how good I had it or how much my parents sacrificed for me. If only they were still alive so I could sincerely thank them and apologize for my ingratitude and the stress I put them through!

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Sadistic much? Great title.

Filial piety isn't part of Western culture for the most part, as it is in other parts of the world. and not just the Orient. There are still many cultures that embrace this to create a different version of the things that most sane people seek, peace, contentment etc.
In the West, it takes money. Respect is purchased. We are defined by our vocations. So we buy our moments. We set the price for our dignity. Our children pay as well, as you have so painfully brought to our attention.

Children today have worse PTSD than most combat vets, just from utube. And thats whos fault?.I ..Most people just don't have the money to change the world, just barely surviving in it.

edit on 1-11-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: content

edit on 1-11-2021 by didntasktobeborned because: content

new topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join