It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about an old bass.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 02:58 AM
link   
So I left a bass guitar at a drummers house. The inside rusted and he told me his aunt had and old bass that she never got working, so if I fixed it up I could keep it. I learned it was an old BC Rich Mockingbird from maybe late 60s or early 70s. This thing is a 6 string bass, sounds and plays great. A lot of homemade work done. Anyone know what it might be worth? I know factory ones, non-retro go for like 1200 to 1600 or so. I just don't play it much anymore. The fact that there are holes drilled everywhere and random electronics in it could factor in, lol. I'd post a picture but this site usually isn't friendly with me. Its like handpainted and weird. Definitely fun.

I could maybe do like an image link if anyone is interested.

ETA: I guess this is mid 70s.

ETAA: I tried uploading a pic here, and it didn't work, but I did make a nice medley tripping over the glockenspiel. Lol, I tried.
edit on 1-7-2021 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
So I left a bass guitar at a drummers house. The inside rusted and he told me his aunt had and old bass that she never got working, so if I fixed it up I could keep it. I learned it was an old BC Rich Mockingbird from maybe late 60s or early 70s. This thing is a 6 string bass, sounds and plays great. A lot of homemade work done. Anyone know what it might be worth? I know factory ones, non-retro go for like 1200 to 1600 or so. I just don't play it much anymore. The fact that there are holes drilled everywhere and random electronics in it could factor in, lol. I'd post a picture but this site usually isn't friendly with me. Its like handpainted and weird. Definitely fun.

I could maybe do like an image link if anyone is interested.

ETA: I guess this is mid 70s.

The easiest way to post a picture is to open up 2 ATS's. Upload your picture on the second one, copy the 2nd of the 3 that tell you URL ( I think ) just go for the second one on the upload. Then go back to your 1 st open post and paste it . Very simple. Check out my pizza picture I posted, that is how I did it. If you just try it on one post only, I've never been able to do it.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I'll be honest, I'm confused. Uploading used to work, but now it doesn't. I do everything on my android devices. Maybe that's the problem? It shows up as having uploaded but then it's just not available. Oh well. I think your "very simple" comment made me dumber, lol. Regards, an electronics graduate.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:24 AM
link   
BTW, holy crap I'm looking up handcrafted mockingbird going for 6 grand plus. Man, I can play a decent baseline on water stained walls. This is bananas. Kinda wish I didn't pawn me 58 Gibson. Can't win em all.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I'll be honest, I'm confused. Uploading used to work, but now it doesn't. I do everything on my android devices. Maybe that's the problem? It shows up as having uploaded but then it's just not available. Oh well. I think your "very simple" comment made me dumber, lol. Regards, an electronics graduate.

On a phone, well, that I don't know how to do. But as you just saw on my pizza post, I know how to do it on a computer.

Open 2 ATS post ( not sure how to explain it, just on the top of your computer you show 2 ATS open. On the 2nd one on where it says " upload" next to complain. There upload your picture. Then your picture will show up along with 3 links, choose the 2nd on the list, copy it, then go back to your 1st post , paste the link and it will show up. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Maybe this will work.

ibb.co...

Low quality... It is what it is, lol

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:45 AM
link   

BTW, holy crap I'm looking up handcrafted mockingbird going for 6 grand plus. Man, I can play a decent baseline on water stained walls. This is bananas. Kinda wish I didn't pawn me 58 Gibson. Can't win em all.

I've got an exported Gibson Les Paul here made for the export market. It has the coil tap pickups and with modern weight relief body.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Maybe this will work.

ibb.co...

OK, it works.

6 strings are something that goes into the pro area of playing. If you go to www.talkbass.com... they might help you out.

I have a bass guitar also, but its a Fender, sorry I can't help you out more.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I've got an exported Gibson Les Paul here made for the export market. It has the coil tap pickups and with modern weight relief body.

That's cool, man. Mine was one of those cheap les Paul Jr line. Cherry red and aged well. You're in Japan, right? I gotta old violen from the early 1800s from Japan. Probably not worth much but its special to me. Family heirloom stuff. I've been trying to find a good Luther to touch it up. God, the amount of instruments I've acquired over the years is just insane.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Maybe this will work.

ibb.co...

OK, it works.

6 strings are something that goes into the pro area of playing. If you go to www.talkbass.com... they might help you out.

I have a bass guitar also, but its a Fender, sorry I can't help you out more.

I got a 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, it goes on. Fender, squire, Ibanez, (my guilty pleasure) Sigma, my crappy 64 Silvertonr. Lol they all got their personalities.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

The new mockingbirds suck...if you have an old one, its got some value.
I doubt 6 grand but it is worth something if its in good shape.
I am kind of jealous of you right now.

Usually the serial numbers on the back will tell you what factory it was made in and what year it is.
If it has been modded, I'd just keep it...but thats just me.

That is easily worth a grand without sneezing, the mods on it might be an issue but if it sounds good and plays good, thats a nice bass.
Good luck.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:03 AM
link   

That's cool, man. Mine was one of those cheap les Paul Jr line. Cherry red and aged well. You're in Japan, right? I gotta old violen from the early 1800s from Japan. Probably not worth much but its special to me. Family heirloom stuff. I've been trying to find a good Luther to touch it up. God, the amount of instruments I've acquired over the years is just insane.

Gibson Les Paul Jr. cool, nice guitars . Bought my daughter one at Guitar Center while in the States years ago. She still has it and her husband plays bass guitar.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Ok, the thing is this. It was one of those build it yourself things. Thus the handpainting and holes and random electronics. I kinda just finished it. Its old as all hell and hasnt been worn out. Also, yes, id never buy a newer mockingbird.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   

I would just keep it.
I have an 83 Ibanez roadstar and I am never letting it go....the old stuff is the good stuff IMO.
My baby is a Les Paul and thats the last guitar I am ever going to buy but we both know thats a lie.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I would just keep it.
I have an 83 Ibanez roadstar and I am never letting it go....the old stuff is the good stuff IMO.
My baby is a Les Paul and thats the last guitar I am ever going to buy but we both know thats a lie.

The Les Paul Studios of 2013 with the coil tap pickups with the special wood fretboard will be a guitarist dream to have in years to come.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I dunno how much that's worth, but it's a really beautiful bass.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The value of these kind of things are subjective. Do you have any SN or info that could help better date? Type of wood/electronics?

You could do 800/900 for a quick cash sale or push and be patient for 1700-2000 usd to an interested buyer. More exacting info usually helps you sell at a higher price.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

I would just keep it.

As wood ages it has a different resonance, the most modern guitars are well built, but there are a lot of composite materials that can’t compare to the older stuff.

Some people love composite guitars made by Sears, rock on

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
The value of these kind of things are subjective. Do you have any SN or info that could help better date? Type of wood/electronics?

You could do 800/900 for a quick cash sale or push and be patient for 1700-2000 usd to an interested buyer. More exacting info usually helps you sell at a higher price.

I dont have a SN. Like I said this thing is like handmade. It's all one solid chunk of wood though, I jokingly refer to it as a murder weapon. There might be a SN under the paint. Someone painted these weird imperial eagle designs around the neck. They look kinda cool, ive never bothered to mess with it. I had to wire the pickups myself. That area was just hollow. I used one of the holes to wire up a switch, and that design in the middle is an eyeball that lights up with some LEDs. Made with tissue paper, plexiglass, and sharpie ink. I actually made a few designs that are interchangeable depending on what show I was playing at the time. The damn thing is a freak.

Maybe I should hold onto it. I'm kinda trying to downsize my collection, and it's been hard to find info on this.

Any ideas on checking a SN without marring the paint? If there is one, its certainly covered up.

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I've never seen a Mockingbird earlier than '80 with
more than 4 strings, so there's that. If it's a prototype
you're looking at a probable one-up for a major talent.
I'm not going to say what it could appraise at right NOW...
but if that's an old BC still well into four figures.

I know of a couple of early 70's 4 string Eagles with the
original DiMarzios: that got more than 5 grand Buy-It-Now.
Personally I'd hold onto it until the next NAMM and show
it off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join