It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if it's not what we expect?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   

An example of an extraterrestrial race portrayed in mass media

You know, all my life I grew up believing that we're not alone in the universe. The famous Drake Equation - I first read the Drake Equation as a child. At that time my parents were buying me astronomy books, which I remember fondly. Not children book - real books for professional astronomers. I was learning black holes right after memorising multiplication tables. And so I pretty much grew accepting the Drake Equation - I grew up assuming that with all those stars, with all those planets, of which that are in their Goldilocks zones, surely the Universe must be teeming with intelligent life.

But now, after everything has been said about aliens, after all those hoaxes made those that want to blindly believe, after all those alleged abductees of which half are delusional and the other half victim of very human psychological trauma, after all those people that claim to hear pleiadians and inner Earth people and blue birds, after all those "scientists" trying to listen to any possible kind of message in the silent cosmos, after all those other "scientists" that are convinced aliens are coming to eat us all, after all those movies and ancient aliens, after all this hemorrhage of useless information that they have poured on my mind for three decades, I have to come to a conclusion: I have not met a single Mr Spock, I have not physically met a single of all those aliens everyone speaks about.

I am done waiting. I used to dream about aliens, in fact I still dream of absurd creatures. But then I did often dream I was a dragon, and this doesn't make my dreams any more real. Everyday, every night I go out and stare at the stars, they are silent.

Could it be that the truth is something that humankind could never accept? Is it possible that the truth is so grim, so depressing, that humankind prefers to subscribe to the illusions and the delusions perpetuated by a mass hysteria? What if humankind truly is a freak evolutionary phenomenon, and that our advantage over other animals comes with a price - the realization that there's nothing else like us out there, just like there's nothing else like us here? Is it possible mankind is too afraid to admit being the one intelligent yet most unwise species in the universe - blowing the unique privilege that evolution has given us? Is it possible that all these hoaxes and all these people that are convinced they are channeling aliens, they are simply acting out of the fear of the absurd actual lonely nature of the universe - like children pretending to have imaginary friends so to better deal with the absurdity of being alone?

I recently read a very good paper, from a scientist that addressed every variables of the Drake Equation. He pointed out that the figures in the equation are traditionally grossly exaggerated, and that they are usually biased in favour of proving alien intelligent life existence. He then proceeded to input the actual, most likely values for the variables. According to his calculations, there is actually a 53%–99.6% probability that we are alone in the Milky Way galaxy. And there are 39%–85% chances we are alone in the entire universe.

arxiv.org...

Could it be that we are actually the only civilisation in the universe? That the absurdity of being alone has only one simple (but scary) answer: The reason why it appears so absurd, is simply because we are the only ones cursed with the capacity of observing how empty the universe is.

Perhaps this is the explanation for the silence of the stars, perhaps this is why so many of us wait in vain - we are chasing the illusions that our minds have created so to deal with the actual, cold emptiness of our existence. Sometimes the illusion, even if fake, feels more comfortable than the truth. Let's make any hoaxes, let's even invest in giving meat to myths, modern myths, anything to believe in. I am thinking about David Wilcox and company, with his new blue avians and his stories about his friend visiting aliens across the solar system every night. Or Anonymous members living in their parent's basements and fabricating "evidences" that HM the Queen Elizabeth II is an alien. When will these obvious (and so verifiable) hoaxes cease? How many puppets, how many characters will we create until we recognize the puppeteer?

Are we, as a species, stubbornly remaining the child with its imaginary friends (and imaginary foes)? If so, then at what point will we grow, evolve, and cease feeding our common delusions?

Could it be that the actual "truth out there"... is that we're facing the heavy burden of being alone in an empty universe? The burden of being the first to figure our ways in the darkness between the stars, at the price of so many embarrassing missteps?

Anyways, I just wanted to share my thoughts out loud. What are your opinions?

edit on 26-9-2019 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Then so be it.

But i think nothing could be further from the truth.

There is life undoubtedly just wether it's intelligent or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   
We're not the only intelligent species on Earth despite our arrogance and denial otherwise, sooooo....

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

Life? Of course there is life.

Tardigrades are tiny bugs that can survive the vacuum of space. I actually expect them to show up on other planets.

But Mr Spock or the Asthar Command? I doubt so.

originally posted by: Puppylove
We're not the only intelligent species on Earth despite our arrogance and denial otherwise, sooooo....

I love dolphins. I really do. But I have to point out that their technological advancement is not as developed as mankind's. And when most of us think aliens, think intelligent aliens, we also think technological advancement. Flying saucers, electromagnetic levitation (whatever that means), even (according to Corey Good) vehicles that fly through rocks. So, though it is true we might not be the only self-aware species on Earth, we are still the most advanced one (sometimes for the worst).

The stuff we see here on Earth... The very fact that dolphins or parrots have not succeeded in developing the level of technology we did... is actually a good example of how of a freak accident mankind is.

edit on 26-9-2019 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Yes, but technology is not necessary for sentience.

What makes us unique is not sentience or intelligence, it's a combination of traits that allows us to best put that to use. Like I'd argue some octopus are more intelligent than us, but lack the life span, social structure and environment necessary to truly make use of that intelligence. Advanced tech simply can't be invented underwater, and no matter how smart you are, with no one educating you on past discoveries to allow you to add to them, and a life span under a decade, it won't matter.

My point is, we go out of our way to deny signs of other sentient species on our own planet due to fear of the moral and ethical implications of such, as well as societal altering complications it might bring. It's a defense mechanism. How many space anomalies, or signs might we be ignoring, or making excuses for, or chalking up to other things, for similar self defense denial? No matter how scientific and objective we may claim to be, everything is filtered through the human experience and psyche.
edit on 9/26/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

You make good arguments; and I actually happen to agree, because this is exactly what I mean. The uniqueness of mankind is a collection of the very tiniest detail in environment, lifespan, social structure, etc. Without which it can be deduced that humankind is truly a freak phenomenon, unlikely to have reproduced elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:41 AM
link   
What if life is more complex than we can imagine. What is going on with some of those SOHO images? We are finding forms of life everywhere we look here on Earth, extreme environments.

A lot of things add up for a secret space program going on. Past recoveries, top secret orders, corporate control, witness statements and straw man arguments. Power and control is a common motivator in all of this.

What if some aliens are walk ins, some could look human and others disguise themselves as human? How would we know? The only thing I expect when looking amongst the stars is that no two places are exactly the same.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by the Ashtar Command. I will continue to dream they could exist until I'm told they don't.

I wonder why I've been so fascinated by the idea of the Nordics but the Grey's don't fascinate me much at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I think a lot of evidence is ignored, or not given the proper weight, or hidden because of the societal ramifications. Potentially the aliens don't even want us to know they are out there or who they are. We always assume the government is hiding them from us. What if the aliens are hiding themselves?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I have little doubt that there is life out there in the Cosmo.
More than likely intelligent life too, both more and less advanced than humans.

That being said I'm not to sure about "intelligence" on earth....
We are slightly above animals throwing poo but at least the poo tossers aren't killing each other over land and religious disputes.

I have read and watched science fiction since a young age and alien life has always fascinated me but I must admit the more science that I've learned the less I feel we will ever encounter off word life. At least out of our own solar system life.
The distances to other worlds are difficult to comprehend.
The light speed required to get there is impossible, thanks mr einstein.
Truthfully the only reasonable method of travel would necessary have to include warping space and time.
Imagine hitting a pee sized rock while traveling at half the speed of light..
The result would put a nuclear explosion to shame.

If mr Einstein is correct, and I'm not smart enough to argue with him, the energy required to achieve light speed is basically infinite and the time dialation as you approach would make anything learned useless because you could never tell anyone.

If we are being visited by anyone or anything, we would likely be no more important to them than a bug scurrying in the dirt.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
What are your opinions?

My opinion is that the recent UAP US NAVY data is signaling there IS other Intelligence coexisting with mankind.

Further... I feel there are some truths within the various religious data information associated with the Human Eternal Spirit, Angels/Demons and the CREATOR-GOD. And I feel Humanity in flesh and spirit is caught in-between the wars between the benevolent and malevolent factions associated to these beings with interdimensional attributes.

Last I feel there are numerous government divisions that DO know WE ARE NOT ALONE.

They would report to and are indoctrinated possibly into a higher galactic and or intergalactic society and operate with various planetary government Systems beyond the vision of general politics that may govern the masses unaware of their presence and the activities within the universe. They also have access to advanced technology.
I have a feeling it's more aggressive out there in the universe especially when considering interdimensional traveling. Yes some planets may Exist in Goldilocks zones but what if there also Exist Intelligent life that interacts with those planets already? How would that Intelligence interact with human EA*RTH Intelligence? Not just advanced aliens but large cosmic animals that may interact near or even land on said Planets to seed or feed from time to time. Large Cosmic Animals that may be restricted somehow from entering EA*RTH Space...
The beautiful thing is I feel one way or another we gain the knowledge we seek with our experiences during the phases of life and death within Existence.
Be well bro/sis

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Yeah. My personal guess would be a 50% chance that we are alone in the universe.

There are two issues for me to be that pessimistic.

Abiogenesis. Going from organic goo to self replicating structures is imho a freak accident. Sure given billions of billlions of planets it will almost certainly happen, but it will be an extremely rare occurrence.

The other issue is that we see no signs of intelligent life so far, and we can see pretty far. If intelligent life was not extremely rare, the universe would be teeming with it. There should be signs everywhere.

Take us as an example. We are not particularly advanced and we are already sending stuff out of our solar system. And I believe that we will be sending relativistic interstellar probes to other systems within a hundred years or so.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Many people report contacting ETs or dimensional beings through meditation or psychedelics and not physical contact. The reason being you have to change your vibration to make contact.

As you point out, it's very possible that we are alone. I don't believe so, but that's just my belief. I believe the more positive ETs will only contact us when the majority of us evolve. I think a spiritual evolution is needed to make a global contact possible.

Interesting thread on the drake equation though.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Anyone ever consider our universe is one tiny atom in a trillion universes both equal and different...most teaming with life?

A trillion separate universes as atoms compiling into one incomprehensibly HUGE "something"?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Yup.. i think they have no reason to make contact with us until they know we are of higher minds and intelligence.

It's like contacting a group of hominids who just disvovered fire and using tools. We might abduct one and observe them with drones and cameras, but what would introducing them into our society do without creating chaos and confusion?

The hominids have shown they are technically advancing, but still aren't even close to being capable of philosophy, psychology, complex science and understanding of morals.

I imagine it's like that, but swayed towards the "spiritual" aspects of human growth which we have yet to accomplish.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Possibly..! And maybe there are advanced ETs in other universes which can jump between universes. Endless possibilities!

We shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions when we know so little of what there is to know.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Possibly..! And maybe there are advanced ETs in other universes which can jump between universes. Endless possibilities!

We shouldn't be jumping to any conclusions when we know so little of what there is to know.

I'm thinking...we have no conception...zero....of things we dont know or discovered in places and with materials impossible to even understand.

We need to stop thinking of "beings", arms, eyes, legs, speech...needing colored lights and propulsion "engines" whatever...to fly around universes? These are all our ideas...

Hell. They might be light...or simple thought!
edit on 26-9-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

I don't agree with the whole reaching some kind of advanced spiritual equilibrium thing so many hopeful alien enthusiasts like to believe in. For one, if they are anything but these beautiful enlightened beings such belief is dangerous. Is better to keep an open mind in either direction, or best, in my opinion, all directions, as all directions seems most plausible based on observing nature and intelligence.

Is like dolphins, which were mentioned earlier, clearly very intelligence beings. They are, however, not the enlightened spiritual beings many like to portray them as. Their personalities are exceptionally varied, some can be friendly and helpful, saving people and being all playful and joyful, while others roam in gangs, get high on puffer fish, and find lone porpoises to gang rape. This variation in personality seems to increase the more sentient and intelligent a species is. The more complex the brain the more varied the behavior.

As such, I find the weird views people have of trying to pigeon hole entire alien species into possessing singular shared personality traits among them as a whole a bit, well, unbelievable. If anything, they should be more varied, possibly more complex in ways we can't even imagine. That or similar to us, just with better technology and the social changes that might come with it. Imagine if you will, humans, with infinite free time to do whatever they wish, be it for good or ill, as we are capable of both. Also imagine if we had infinite or near infinite resources, and that all menial tasks are performed by AI or biological machines. Now look at internet, YouTube, video games, sports and television, and other things we do for entertainment, from helping others to trolling. Just advance us, and imagine. There's no emotional trait or societal action humans demonstrate other intelligent beings don't possess on our planet, why, simply because they're alien, do we assume evolution would act drastically different on their planet?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I concur, as I replied above. Thanks. Better put then I

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

There are native tribes leaving right here on Earth who have never come into contact until recently with the outside world. We didn't know they where even there.

Same can be said for ET. They are possibly there, but we have not come into contact with them as yet. Well not officially anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join