It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knitting community bans posts supporting Trump - such posts are support for white supremacy

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I saw this over the weekend. Just shaking my head. Next they'll have to ban pussy hat patterns because they're transphobic and aren't inclusive of "women" with penises.

According to the Guardian, it started with one (White) woman's "microaggression":

The Trump ban comes only months after political upheaval gripped the knitting and crochet community around issues of racial and cultural insensitivity. That debate was sparked by popular knitwear designer and blogger Karen Templer, who wrote in January about a planned trip to India, likening it, in her excitement, to visiting Mars. Many in the craft community objected to the characterisation, calling it othering and reductive.

Apparently comparing the joy and thrill of a trip to India to a trip to Mars is suggesting that Indian people are space aliens.

I really doubt this will work out well for them. Since any dissenting voices are banned/deleted, we won't know just how great that dissent is. But I have a feeling they have (or had) far more contributors who support Trump than don't, and that doesn't bode well for a user-content-generated site.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: gortex

“Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.”

I'm no Trump supporter but that's probably the stupidest thing I've read this week.
Knitting and politics obviously don't mix.

I don't know about that. You get a group nice old ladies together circled around sharing a beloved activity... Then pepper in some little candies and hot tea, they' get all jazzed up and start speaking their mind. In my experience, they typically debate on whether the thermostat should go up or down, but occasionally it gets more heated than that.

Every Wednesday afternoon my wife goes to the library where some women go to knit. They are mostly older, so they all know how to knit. It is a gossip session coupled with a review of restaurants and often they discuss how their husband banned pinterest for recipes. My wife is banned from getting recipes from pinterest, I hate wasting food when neither of us eat the stuff she makes. My wife has some great recipes, I do too, she makes the best lasagna I have ever had yet she wanted to try one from pinterest. Half of it got tossed, we even brought a piece to the daughter at work and she threw it out after one bite. Evidently the other women at knitting also have learned from experience to avoid pintrest recipes.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

These liberal tools are actually pretty funny. We want to provide a forum for ALL groups (A, B, C, D, E, etc), but we are not going to provide a forum for (A). What kind of doublespeak BS is this? It's like their tolerant BS, they only tolerate what their individual subgroup believe, it's why they've started eating their own.

I think their should be a knitting war now! Those knitting needles are great weapons for stiring brains lol.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/24.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I guess I'll never get my Trump Hair Orange merkin now.

Oh noes! Can't have that!!!

I'm not much of a knitter... but I can crochet you one...

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Years ago I worked in many capacities for a country club. We would open up to do our prep work for the day, and at around 10am we would put out a salad bar. No one would come in at this time except older ladies... knitting club, bridge groups, gardening club ect... I have an intimate knowledge of what goes on in those secret societies.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I am a member there and they have a forum, so I can only think that some members were using their platform for their political agenda.

If you like swastika patterns go somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I think what they are saying is that if you want to talk politics in a knitting club dont expect to just be allowed to use their site as a platform for it.

There is no denying that politics are always riddled with radicals who will look for any space on the internet to push the boundaries. They probably had a few posts that were to far and just said enough.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

www.vice.com... yeah vice is running with it too ,how in the heck is saying your as excited to go to india as you would be to go to mars in any way shape or form "racist" or showing white supremacy?

www.vice.com... guess some RPG gaming comunity did the same

The RPGnet admins had been toying with the idea of banning Trump talk since 2016. “Different staff members had their own breaking points, but after Christine Ford's testimony, and Trump's public reaction to it, I don't think we had any more holdouts,” the admins said. “If someone came to a dinner party and decided to mock a sexual assault victim at the table, I think most reasonable hosts would kick them out, or at least not invite them back again.” The admins aren’t banning all political discussion, that’s still fair game. So are posts criticizing the Trump administration. It’s exclusively pro-Trump posts they’re concerned with. “We aren’t going to take notice as staff if someone wants to argue for the elimination of the estate tax, or if someone makes a reasoned case for why the new tariffs are a good idea,” they said. “The Trump administration promotes those policies, but they aren’t Trumpism. You can be a conservative, or a Republican, and not run afoul of our rules. We think all those things are distinguishable. An idea shouldn’t be excluded from our board only because Trump happens to espouse it for however long it can hold his attention.”
so political talks are ok on the site but god forbid you speak highly or positively about trump..... and people wonder why conservatives are getting pissed off at the levels of censorship from the big tech companies down to frigging gaming communities....

forum.rpg.net.../new-ban-do-not-post-in-support-of-trump-or-his-administration.835849/

Policy outline: 1. We are banning support of the administration of President Trump. You can still post on RPG.net even if you do in fact support the administration — you just can't talk about it here. 2. We are absolutely not endorsing the Democrats nor are we banning all Republicans. 3. We are certainly not banning conservative politics, or anything on the spectrum of reasonable political viewpoints. We assert that hate groups and intolerance are categorically different from other types of political positions, and that confusing the two legitimizes bigotry and hatred. 4. We are not going to have a purge — we will not be banning people for past support. Though if your profile picture is yourself in a MAGA hat, this might be a good time to change it. 5. We will not permit witch-hunts, progressive loyalty-testing, or attempting to bait another into admitting support for President Trump in order to get them banned. The mod staff will deal harshly with attempts to weaponize this policy. 6. It is not open season on conservatives, and revenge fantasies against Trump and Trump supporters are still against the rules.
their policy for the RPG forum
edit on 24-6-2019 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I am a member there and they have a forum, so I can only think that some members were using their platform for their political agenda.

If you like swastika patterns go somewhere else.

I mean, I'm all for being critical of ideological teams when it's a fair argument.... But Trump's base would be more likely to knit the flag of Israel than a swastika, so I'm gonna have to veto that one.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My grandmother and her friends certainly discussed other things than the thermostat...

At the risk of dating myself, I distinctly recall instances of LBJ being...ummmm, castigated. Nixon, too. George Wallace may have been mentioned in language less than complimentary, too...

...and, of course, whose grandkids were cutest. In short, rather a typical, I guess, gathering of friends. Most of whom had known each other for many, many years.

Good memories. Though I've long forgotten any knitting I ever learned...

This is, indeed, a sure sign of TDS...

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I think what they are saying is that if you want to talk politics in a knitting club dont expect to just be allowed to use their site as a platform for it.

There is no denying that politics are always riddled with radicals who will look for any space on the internet to push the boundaries. They probably had a few posts that were to far and just said enough.

I think they said what they said quite clearly. I didn't need an interpreter for this one.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

In our increasingly online commercial economy, being banned from revenue-generating platforms actually is a big deal. Being prevented from selling merchandise that would appeal to roughly half of the available consumers is a big deal.

Being "de-monitized" because of your political opinions (by YouTube for example) is a big deal. Being declared a "hate group", or a purveyor of "hate speech" by a left-wing outfit like the Southern Poverty Law Center...and then, asa direct result, having your access to payment platforms (like Paypal) or to commercial banking services cut off, is a big deal.

Having the mega-tech-platforms monitoring you wherever you go - ie. when you are not even operating on their platforms - with AI reading all of your emails, logging the sites you visit, interpreting your posts on forums, tracking your purchases...and then banning you for off-site activities it considers to be problematic (which Facebook has recently announced it will be doing)...is a big deal.

This is a very dangerous trend in global commerce - none of it happening at the (open) direction of lawmakers (in most Countries yet anyway).

As with all past examples of creeping authoritarian control over the minds and activities of people, the people who are not currently being affected pay it no mind (or, worse, silently cheer the oppression on).

And, as with all past examples of creeping authoritarian control, eventually it will come to roost with everyone - and by then it is too late.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Oh wow... that Vice article is really something! Maybe they need a little cheese to go with their whine?

"Poor poor me! If people see my in my pics then they know I'm a person of color and that's bad! But poor poor me! If people don't see me in my pics then they think I'm White and that's bad!"

Honestly, the more I read, the more convinced I am that this is an excuse to prevent member support in the elections next year -- they're just getting a jump on it. Can't have women talking all nice about our prez...

And they sure can't have women posting patterns that might support our prez. If someone posted a pattern for a Trump hat or scarf that went viral for example... oh dear!

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Years ago I worked in many capacities for a country club. We would open up to do our prep work for the day, and at around 10am we would put out a salad bar. No one would come in at this time except older ladies... knitting club, bridge groups, gardening club ect... I have an intimate knowledge of what goes on in those secret societies.

People are untrusting of the Masons....the Masons are nothing compared to the knitting club.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

My grandmother and her friends certainly discussed other things than the thermostat...

Talk of the thermostat is usually right off the bat to break the ice.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

People are untrusting of the Masons....the Masons are nothing compared to the knitting club.

We are largely subservient to the Knitters. Just do what your told, and nobody has to find out how sharp these needles are.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Some would say they are the very fabric of our society.... The early founder even wove their agenda into the flag.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

So you think giving a platform for hate is ok or not ok? I mean the way you joke about swastikas makes it seem like you are ok for idiots to post garbage on a hobby forum.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

We are largely subservient to the Knitters. Just do what your told, and nobody has to find out how sharp these needles are.

Did you watch that documentary with Angelina Jolie "Wanted" too? Riveting.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join