It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knitting community bans posts supporting Trump - such posts are support for white supremacy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Subject line edited to fit...

Really...a knitting community is now joining in the act (along with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) of censuring free speech - if it is conservative speech anyway?

Ravelry, a popular social media platform for knitters and crafters, says it will be banning project ideas, patterns and forum posts that express support for President Trump and the Trump administration, while likening such support to “open white supremacy.”

“We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy,” reads a message posted to the knitting community’s website. “Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.”

Put only a very slightly different way, they are saying they can't provide a "space that is inclusive of all" unless they ban knitting patterns that in some way reflect, in a positive light, the 2016 voting preference of half of the U.S. population.

But don't worry, you won't be banned from the site for simply being a Trump supporter...

Ravelry also said Trump supporters would not be prohibited from using the platform, only that they shout not “talk about it here.”

“We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions,” the post reads.

Yes...true that...intolerance really is a very different beast. And the folks who run the online knitting community are definitely showing a heaping helping of said intolerance.

This kind of nonsense will only stop when people stand up and walk away from platforms - thus impacting their revenues - that decide to impose a political viewpoint on users (by banning their free expression of ideas and speech); users who frequent said platforms for personal entertainment purposes...or even for business purposes, but happen to occupy a part of the political spectrum that the Left does not agree with.

Ravelry, true to recent form for the justification of censorship, goes right to a blanket extreme accusation that they believe everyone will have to agree with.

Well, we certainly don't support "open white supremacy"...and since the Trump administration is declared to be (by the platform operators) openly white supremacist...therefore we must agree with the banning of all forms of seeming support for the Trump administration. Case closed! Well done Ravelry!

Ravelry has 118,000 Twitter followers and over 8 million subscribers. I wonder how they would react if about 59,000 people un-followed them on Twitter, and about 4 million people unsubscribed.

Ban Trump supporters? How about Trump supporters just ban them!

Trump Knitting Patterns Banned - What will Gramma Do?

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
These people are really knit-picking!

...i'll show myself out..

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I tried to make a pun as good as yours, and it was lame so I edited it out.

There is a technique called Mega knitting. Opportunity lay ahead.
edit on 24-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

(post by JustJohnny removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: IAMTAT

I tried to make a pun as good as yours, and it was lame so I edited it out.

There is a technique called Mega knitting. Opportunity lay ahead.

What a bunch of knit-wits!

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Here's the really weird thing, everyone that I know that knits or crochets now is so left leaning you would not even believe it. I guess that is their hobby of choice.

Knitting used to be for old ladies, not anymore. Don't even get me started on cross-stitch

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I guess I'll never get my Trump Hair Orange merkin now.

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

“Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.”

I'm no Trump supporter but that's probably the stupidest thing I've read this week.
Knitting and politics obviously don't mix.

(post by JustJohnny removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
New Scientific Study shows that Online Knitting leads to stupidity.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Trump knitting patterns banned, that must suck for CWM

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
They need to be blacklisted 😆

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Here's the really weird thing, everyone that I know that knits or crochets now is so left leaning you would not even believe it. I guess that is their hobby of choice.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Where do I get one of those ? , I already have the pins.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

“Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.”

I'm no Trump supporter but that's probably the stupidest thing I've read this week.
Knitting and politics obviously don't mix.

I don't know about that. You get a group nice old ladies together circled around sharing a beloved activity... Then pepper in some little candies and hot tea, they' get all jazzed up and start speaking their mind. In my experience, they typically debate on whether the thermostat should go up or down, but occasionally it gets more heated than that.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Where do I get one of those ? , I already have the pins.

I bet if you brought a nice lady her groceries for a few weeks she'd hook ya up

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Does this mean that chat about hate groups is acceptable but politics is not? I suppose that Those who support Republicans talking about the good way our country is now heading are firing up the Democrats and the Liberals aren't acting civil there.

OK.....appropriate to ban talking about Trump since the Liberals can get fired up. Banning political discussions is appropriate for a knitting community.

My wife does belong to a couple of knitting places on the internet and she does not go there to talk about politics. She also belongs to a couple of prepper sites where they discuss ways to organize and rotate pantry stuff and how to prepare for emergencies. She told me that they avoid politics there too, it is just about sharing knowledge about canning, preserving, and emergency preparedness. That has helped to shape our food stores positively, only stock foods you eat and prepare normally so you can rotate things properly. It doesn't matter what political party is in charge, our society is at risk of economic collapse and disasters happen to everyone, being prepared is a good thing to a point. Three months for the extended family is all we can handle.

Being prepared also includes having knitting supplies, if the power goes out for three months you have no internet and she still needs something to do. Otherwise she will turn into a bitch if she is bored.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I am a member there and they have a forum, so I can only think that some members were using their platform for their political agenda.

If you like swastika patterns go somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
supporting the country you live in and hoping for it's success and well being is not allowed? Lefties sure have done a number on their followers. And yes, I fully understand this is just one small group of loonies who happen to be leftovers. That doesn't change the point at all.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I am a member there and they have a forum, so I can only think that some members were using their platform for their political agenda.

If you like swastika patterns go somewhere else.

who taught you that Trump supporters were all NAZI's?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join