It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria hit with massive sustained attack: Russian S-400 defenses possibly active In huge escalation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Who is bombing Syria?
My GUESS would be Israel but I am not sure at this time.
Some questions arose about a possible US strike as the cruise missiles are being fired from the sea. Yet, the US-funded VOA News reports a Pentagon spokesman issuing the following statement: "I can unequivocally say this is not us," said Navy Cmdr. Sean Robertson.

Earlier:

Another attack on Syria has occurred tonight on multiple locations in what is the largest sustained series of what are believed to be Israeli or possibly US air strikes in months. But hugely significant is that early reports suggest Russia's S-400 anti-missile missile defense system engaged the inbound rockets.

On Monday night Syrian state-run SANA confirmed multiple missiles fired "from the sea into Lattakia city" in "an aggression from unknown source" which state media says involved successful intercepts by Syrian missile defense.

British-Syrian journalist Danny Makki, currently reporting from the ground, says the attack "lasted for a total of 1 hour 30 minutes" and missiles soared over four cities including Latakia, Tartus, Homs and Hama - with rockets and explosions lighting up the sky especially over the coastal towns.

Though it appears another Israeli strike - as it came less than two days following an attack near Damascus - the details are still unknown, and some observers are speculating it could be an American attack, given that at least some of the missiles were fired from the sea.

Lin k

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Video of one of the strikes:
Video

edit on 17-9-2018 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Interesting turn of events, so...a mystery force out there lurking....

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

It's somewhat hard to believe the capability doesn't exist to determine who's responsible for such an attack??

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

It's somewhat hard to believe the capability doesn't exist to determine who's responsible for such an attack??

I must agree. With all the satellites and such it would seem easy enough.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

I would imagine Russia and the US both know who launched the attack, now whether they will say who it was or not? Probably not, at least not right away.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Update #2

A Russian military Il-20 aircraft with 14 service members on board went off the radars during an attack by four Israeli jets on Syria's Latakia province, the Russian Defense Ministry said. Air traffic controllers at the Khmeimim Air Base "lost contact" with the aircraft on Wednesday evening, during the attack of Israeli F-16 fighters on Latakia, said the MOD.

Russian radars also registered the launch of missiles from a French frigate in the Mediterranean on the evening of September 17.

Fourteen people were on board the plane at the time of the disappearance. A search and rescue mission is underway.

An hour-long attack on Latakia began around 10 pm local time, and targeted a power station as well as two facilities belonging to the Syrian military. Syrian officials said the attack was "foreign" and came "from the sea," but could not initially confirm rumors that Israel was behind it.

The attack on Latakia came just hours after Russia and Turkey negotiated a partial demilitarization of the Idlib province, which is the last remaining stronghold of anti-government militants, including the Al-Qaeda affiliate Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (also known as the Jabhat Al-Nusra).

lin k
A French frigate????
edit on 17-9-2018 by Quadrivium because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

I would imagine they know who did it, but someone has shot down a Russian aircraft and this could escalate. So of course, denial will be all we get.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

RT is saying it was a French Frigate. S400 or not, they first need to figure out who is firing. First they said Israel, then they said french boats, now they are claiming Syrian misfire downed a Russian plane. Who the hell knows what is going on at this point.
French Frigate Fire

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Update #2

A Russian military Il-20 aircraft with 14 service members on board went off the radars during an attack by four Israeli jets on Syria's Latakia province, the Russian Defense Ministry said. Air traffic controllers at the Khmeimim Air Base "lost contact" with the aircraft on Wednesday evening, during the attack of Israeli F-16 fighters on Latakia, said the MOD.

Russian radars also registered the launch of missiles from a French frigate in the Mediterranean on the evening of September 17.

Fourteen people were on board the plane at the time of the disappearance. A search and rescue mission is underway.

An hour-long attack on Latakia began around 10 pm local time, and targeted a power station as well as two facilities belonging to the Syrian military. Syrian officials said the attack was "foreign" and came "from the sea," but could not initially confirm rumors that Israel was behind it.

The attack on Latakia came just hours after Russia and Turkey negotiated a partial demilitarization of the Idlib province, which is the last remaining stronghold of anti-government militants, including the Al-Qaeda affiliate Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (also known as the Jabhat Al-Nusra).

lin k
A French frigate????

I read that ad well but no it wasn't. It w as s a guess by the Russians and they are confused and not sure what's going on. The problem is Russian air defences are clueless because if its the Israelis they can't believe anything their system tells them. The Israelis will hack their air defences its what they do.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanSolo31

RT is saying it was a French Frigate. S400 or not, they first need to figure out who is firing. First they said Israel, then they said french boats, now they are claiming Syrian misfire downed a Russian plane. Who the hell knows what is going on at this point.
French Frigate Fire

Israel has taken most of the blame for the missile attacks to land in a Syrian city. They typically don't comment on attacks.

Russia later reported Israeli jets doing strikes and a missile from a French frigate.

Most Russian sources I've read just reported the plane missing without implicating who.

CNN, along with others came out and said that Syrian hit the Russian spy plane with anti aircraft fire in the confusion of it all.

All this is in another thread, so forgive me for not linking it all.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Update #2

lin k
A French frigate????

I read that ad well but no it wasn't. It w as s a guess by the Russians and they are confused and not sure what's going on. The problem is Russian air defences are clueless because if its the Israelis they can't believe anything their system tells them. The Israelis will hack their air defences its what they do.
I don't believe it was the French either (hence all the question marks at the end of the question). This may be a distraction for something else that is going on.
This could get bad.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Can you link where Israel admitted the attack ? Only thing I can find is that they admitted to multiple attacks earlier in the month.

The IDF has refused to comment on the report. Despite the fact that Israel rarely acknowledges striking specific targets inside Syria, earlier this month the IDF admitted to hitting at least 202 “Iranian targets” in the country.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: HanSolo31

Can you link where Israel admitted the attack ? Only thing I can find is that they admitted to multiple attacks earlier in the month.

I worded that poorly, I said they're taking most of the blame, but rather they're receiving most of the accusations. I did follow they don't usually comment on it though, it tends to be their policy.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
If the US doesn't know then the country has wasted trillions of dollars.

Of course, mums the word. National security, ya know.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Really interesting. Feels like Syria has become testing grounds for Russian and American military technology.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

French Frigate Fire

I would guess that the Russians do. I'm guessing it's them. Whenever they start changing their story two or three times in quick succession, often with mutually inconsistent motivations, they're sowing confusion and creating doubt. It's their SOP.

We'll probably know in a few days.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Really interesting. Feels like Syria has become testing grounds for Russian and American military technology.

I'd say tactics more than technology. Don't want to show the real tricks up your sleeve over a proxy war.

This is nothing new though, these lines have been in the sand for years. If us killing over 100 Russian mercenaries a while back, I don't thing toddy will be a real turning point for the situation.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I pray you are right. This feels different though.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'd say tactics more than technology. Don't want to show the real tricks up your sleeve over a proxy war.

This is nothing new though, these lines have been in the sand for years. If us killing over 100 Russian mercenaries a while back, I don't thing toddy will be a real turning point for the situation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join