It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change denial strongly linked to right-wing nationalism

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: makaira1985

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: makaira1985

New Jersey is constantly pumping in more sand for beach renourishment projects(funded by tax payers). If it were not for this, there would be a noticeable difference.

My home town of Cocoa Beach started doing this circa 2000. We have more beach(but much lower quality sand) that we did back then. The extra sand will not stop a storm surge.

That is just not true.....my parents live on the Delaware Bay and I don't recall there being any replenishment projects there in my lifetime. However, my marina has over a 3000 feet of bulkheading around it, not beach. I can tell you for a fact that the height of the water on our bulkhead has not changed in 30 years. I see it out my office window every single day. (I have a great view)

What do you make of the video I linked just a few posts ago showing sea level rise in Chesapeake Bay maybe 50 miles away from you that disagrees with you?

There are obviously destroyed forests, showing where land once was and water is now. At high tide, there is water in yards or lapping at the steps of homes, or roads that are now underwater.

There is even testimony from where people once lived that is now underwater. There is at least one cemetery that has lost remains to the ocean.

This is on video. It's not imagination. It's not anecdotal. It's real.
edit on 21Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:00:27 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

Honestly, I really don't know as I have no personal experience in that area or know the people that made the video. That video could have been made after a hurricane passed and there was still storm surge leftover or flooding from a major storm, but that's all just supposition on my part. All I can speak to is my personal experience. I have been working, boating, fishing and recreating on and around these waters for over 40 years and the observations I have shared are factual and accurate.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I have family in Cape May. They(the state with tax payer money) are constantly pumping in new sand to preserve the beach. Virginia Beach does this also.

The Outer Bank, NC does not....so go there and tell me there are no signs of climate change. The Buxton light house was moved inland because it was in jeopardy of being washed away.
edit on 28-8-2018 by jrod because: Add

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

No. That is not from storm surge or flooding. I forget the name of the place that Greven mentioned but this is a reality.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Does just accept the science also apply with vaccines?

It should. Being anti-vaccine is a pretty dumb stance to take.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I have family in Cape May. They(the state with tax payer money) are constantly pumping in new sand to preserve the beach. Virginia Beach does this also.

The Outer Bank, NC does not....so go there and tell me there are no signs of climate change. The Buxton light house was moved inland because it was in jeopardy of being washed away.

You do understand that beach replenishment is not needed because the sea level is rising. Beaches are eroded by currents and storms. Look at the beach prior to a Noreaster that blows 40 knots for 3 days and look at the same beach after.....the beach will look different. What I am telling you is simple......from looking at my marina bulkhead the sea level has not changed in 30 years......beaches move and change over the years due to natural phenomenon, but my bulkhead is a fixed point that doesn't move. Sea level measured against that point has not changed. My observation with my own eyes.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I have family in Cape May,

On a side note, I also live in Cape May and its a small town (except in the summer)....probably know your family. We are very lucky to live here, one of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the US. I'm sure they enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cape May shows a rate of +4.57 mm/year since 1965 (9.5 inches). With a high level of confidence.

tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov...

edit on 8/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I grew up surfing in Cocoa Beach. I know what erosion is. I know how a nor'easter or hurricane can change the beach and sandbars...I do not need someone to explain that to me.

Even back home, it appears the water is rising. The ICW has high water in the fall for the same reason South Florida and the keys experiences coastal flooding thst time of year.

Your anecdotal testimony is not evidence against the reality of climate change.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I grew up surfing in Cocoa Beach. I know what erosion is. I know how a nor'easter or hurricane can change the beach and sandbars...I do not need someone to explain that to me.

Even back home, it appears the water is rising. The ICW has high water in the fall for the same reason South Florida and the keys experiences coastal flooding thst time of year.

Your anecdotal testimony is not evidence against the reality of climate change.

Well.....I guess I am dismissed and my 40 years of personal observation is "anecdotal". Fair enough. FYI...I never said anything about climate change....I was just telling you my observations of our local sea level. I do believe in global climate change.....It's been changing for billions of years...It changed long before we were here and will continue to change long after we're gone.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

hey don't take into account, sun spots, and 50 million other things. THat's why none of the "scientific" models ever prediect

Agreed, and climate models strain the limits of computer power, etc. I'm just pretty sure several billion creatures burning stuff will, indeed, effect a (mostly) closed system, is all.

I'm not saying abandon all hope, just hoping people get a little less stuck in denial and move on to the fix it phase ... and strive for solutions that don't end in dystopian nightmares of enslavement. It's hopefully not too much to ask.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

The old climate has changed over the history of the Earth therefore any climate change we are observing must be natural and not human induced reasoning....

It is not logical to think that way. It would be like me saying one time when I was 5 I fell off my bike and scraped my knee therefore everytime I haveva scraped knee it must be because I fell of my bike.

I will post pictures this fall of the street flooding that occurs every fall here in Key West, but I doubt it will convince anyone who is convinced climate change is a conspiracy to levy more taxes and take away freedom.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Maybe a different approach is needed. Instead of putting so much effort into converting the non-believer, just outline and try to implement solutions. You don't have to believe we are 50 years away from Waterworld to think that improving the environment is a good idea.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join