It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just askin...is this an "assault" rifle??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

them clips is bullets.

"What's the efficacy of banning these magazine clips? I will tell you, these are ammunition, they're bullets, so the people who have those now, they're going to shoot them"
Rep DeGette.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: nwtrucker

Then why bother with the intent aspect and mess with the definition??

Because intent is more important than the tool they use. For #s sake, you can use any tool you want to kill if your intent is to do so. Whether it be a pencil or an AR. We do not need to go after guns, "assault" or not. We need to change the hearts of people and murderous intent.

All it does is confuse definition process with those inclined to buy into those redefinitions! Nothing to do with the OP.

I think you are confused. Read my posts again and see that I am on your side.

The definitions are political and you are playing in to the politics.

From your last post, I get that perhaps we are on the same side. Yes, intent is a factor. I carry a small/legal knife when I'm trucking. Inside 20 feet....well, at my age, make that 10 feet, the knife is quicker. In my view of it, definition is critical. Understanding words and their meaning is basic. Even, perhaps more basic that the developed skills.

Yes, I was 'qualified'. Not in using every device/object at hand other than the concept of it. The politics of it is important, yes? I'd prefer staying qualified legally rather than not.

Let's just say that we agree.

"Assault" can apply to everything. What matters is the intent and will.

We should focus on the intent and not that tool which helps them carry-out their "will".

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

a reply to: edaced4

Every firearm is an "assault" firearm.

Every firearm is a defensive firearm.

It's not the firearm that makes the difference.

It's the training and intent.

Bullcrap

Really?

A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

As the saying goes, it's not the size that counts. It's how you use it.

But you would know that, if you were trained and experienced.

Nothing but spin. That fact has nothing to do with your post. After all, John Wick used a pencil......

That actually proves my point.

You can use anything you like and still kill a person. It's about their intent and skill.

Ban a firearm, it means nothing to those that have the intent and skill to kill someone else.

Call the pencil an assault pencil, does not matter. Call the VW bug an assault vehicle, does not matter.

Banning of firearms that look scary will do nothing to those that are trained and determined to kill others, when they can pick up a pencil.

Or do you suggest we ban things because you lack the skill and will to comprehend?

Then why bother with the intent aspect and mess with the definition?? All it does is confuse definition process with those inclined to buy into those redefinitions! Nothing to do with the OP.

Actually it has everything to do with the OP...

My original post was to determine whether the .22lr "scary looking black gun" that I have is considered an "assault rifle". According to MSM, it is. It is not as powerful as an AR, an AK or an SK (which can all be outfitted to be "scary looking..."
by the way...but it can still stop you in your tracks...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

Bullcrap

Really?

A well-trained person with a semi-auto 22 can take out a poorly-trained idiot with a fully-auto AR, AK, or whatever you want to choose.

I think you are a little outside your wheelhouse on this one. How about Mr A has the semi auto .22 and Mr B has got a AR 15. Let’s say they are 200 yards apart. Who do you want to be? A or B.

The man better trained to use his firearm and trained in situational awareness.

You guys really think it's all about the bigger tool and not the knowledge to use what you have?

This is the ignorance I see in many pro-firearm people and why they cannot properly defend their 2nd amendment right.

Have you guys even taken a basic defense/shooter course?

Yup way outside of your wheelhouse. The .22lr will not shoot anywhere near accurately in a semi at 200 yds. Two very important factors, the .22 has 1/10 of the delivered energy at 200yds and 10 times the trajectory drop at that distance. This round drops by over 5 feet at 200 yards. Makes it pretty hard to hit your target and even if you do somehow the delivered energy is pretty week.

You don’t want to take on a guy with an AR 15 at that distance with a .22lr.

Better get some schooling.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

That is a POS .22 man-barbie toy with little practical use.

Go with a rifle if you want to hit anything.

A .22 pistol for point blank range but this thing serves no practical purpose.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Bullcrap

Really?

I think you are a little outside your wheelhouse on this one. How about Mr A has the semi auto .22 and Mr B has got a AR 15. Let’s say they are 200 yards apart. Who do you want to be? A or B.

You guys really think it's all about the bigger tool and not the knowledge to use what you have?

This is the ignorance I see in many pro-firearm people and why they cannot properly defend their 2nd amendment right.

Yup way outside of your wheelhouse. The .22lr will not shoot anywhere near accurately in a semi at 200 yds. Two very important factors, the .22 has 1/10 of the delivered energy at 200yds and 10 times the trajectory drop at that distance. This round drops by over 5 feet at 200 yards. Makes it pretty hard to hit your target and even if you do somehow the delivered energy is pretty week.

Again, do I have a scope in your scenerio? Also this:

The .22 Long Rifle wins on cost, as long as you can actually find ammunition. Picking up a rifle like the Ruger .22 can be a great option and will usually run you under 300.00 at any major retailer.Some stores will actually offer the Ruger 10/22 under 200.00.

r15 vs 22lr

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

That is a POS .22 man-barbie toy with little practical use.

Go with a rifle if you want to hit anything.

A .22 pistol for point blank range but this thing serves no practical purpose.

you are correct that there is little practical use...however it is not a "man-barbie toy". It is a rifle, and as it stands is an excellent deterrent to intruders...it's been used as such...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Airsoft gun are teh assault rifles I mean just look at them and they shoot fast OMG.
edit on 16-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Again, the original point of this post was to determine something.

Is the gun that I have an "assault rifle"?

It is not, in my opinion.

But the MSM will have you think that it is.

In all probability, a significant amount of damage could be done with this type of gun...

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Put it this way. You can buy that very firearm in The UK on a section 1 firearms license (the same one you use for hunting rifles etc). Any gun you can get in the UK should not be considered an assault rifle !

In the UK you can still get semi-automatic firearms on a section 1 ticket as long as they are in a rimfire calibre of up to .22lr and are designed to be fired 2 handed (I.e. not a pistol). They have to be made as .22 and not a converted larger calibre. Lots of big name firearm manufacturers make purpose built .22 versions of famous rifles for this market, such as HK416, MP5, Colt AR15 etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I bought one several years ago...ended up replacing all the screws that held the thing together and doing a bunch of other stuff I have long forgotten about... It was a POS other than the cool looks but after the rework is was just less a POS... Anyway I sold it to a cop which bought it for his kid to plink with even after I told him as far as a weapon IMO it sucked... Just my experience maybe your was/is different.. They did make a 22lr pistol that looked like a 45... It was a better shooting weapon which my wife liked to plink with..

All my stuff was sold when I moved overseas except for my CHL pistol and one AR which are in a safe in the states.... I really did have some nice stuff but that chapter of my life is closed with no regrets ..

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Even if this was the original MP5, it would not be an assault rifle. The MP5 was an SMG, not an assault rifle, or in fact any kind of rifle.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: edaced4

Bullcrap

Really?

Nothing but spin. That fact has nothing to do with your post. After all, John Wick used a pencil......

That actually proves my point.

You can use anything you like and still kill a person. It's about their intent and skill.

Ban a firearm, it means nothing to those that have the intent and skill to kill someone else.

Call the pencil an assault pencil, does not matter. Call the VW bug an assault vehicle, does not matter.

Banning of firearms that look scary will do nothing to those that are trained and determined to kill others, when they can pick up a pencil.

Or do you suggest we ban things because you lack the skill and will to comprehend?

Then why bother with the intent aspect and mess with the definition?? All it does is confuse definition process with those inclined to buy into those redefinitions! Nothing to do with the OP.

Actually it has everything to do with the OP...

My original post was to determine whether the .22lr "scary looking black gun" that I have is considered an "assault rifle". According to MSM, it is. It is not as powerful as an AR, an AK or an SK (which can all be outfitted to be "scary looking..."
by the way...but it can still stop you in your tracks...

Great! Then go with what the MSM tells you instead of us. I gave you the definition of an assault rifle. You prefer the MSM label, then that's your call. So why the thread, then? Call NBC for their perception of it. A 2x4 will stop you in your tracks. That doesn't make it an assault rifle. So would a 10 gauge shot-gun. Not an assault rifle.

edit on 17-10-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I'm kind of taken back that so many pro 2nd people on here are arguing against your point, in doing so it directly conctradicts exactly what we've been trying to get across for decades to anti-gun crowd....

Kinda dumbfounded, kinda not

Maybe they need to concentrate on not being "triggered "(ha ha) so much by a word they saw and actually read the context....

Christ no wonder we are where we are in this country

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

yea, i think everybody is missing the point. it's not that he is asking if it is, he's saying there are dumba@@ out there that see a black gun and it's a assualt rifle.

as i said in another thread, it use to be the ak was the scary black gun, now its the ar, next it will be firearms that look like this, then lever actions, then bolt actions, then breech, and so on.

edit on 17-10-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think the US government need to make a decision either allow the public to own military grade firearms or dont !
I mean there is absolutely no reason for anyone to own a semi automatic or fully automatic rifle or gun for defense purposes
one bullet is enough if you are trained and proficient in the use of firearms.

For work rifles etc , when does anyone hunting need a semi automatic rifle ?

for large animals a bolt action large bore rifle will kill any animal and that is enough , semi or full firing rifles are just overkill.

Why at present do the US government allow the public to own military grade fire arms designed for war , simply because the constitution doesnt accurately define the term " arms"

Can anyone justify owning semi or full auto rifles for public use?
What possible need does anyone have for those features ?

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Again, the second amendment is not there to protect a persons right to own a huntsmans tool, or a recreational item, or even a weapon for critical defence of the home. It is written into the constitution to provide that the people can always lay hands on more weapons than the government.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

For work rifles etc , when does anyone hunting need a semi automatic rifle ?

You have never hunted feral Pigs have you ? Go to youtube there are plenty of real life reasons to own a semi-auto rifle when hunting or getting supper.. Just as there are reasons to carry one or two mags instead of lose rounds which have to be loaded for your next shot. The problem with many things in life are those who have never been there done that think they know best..youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It comes with oppressed-minority-heat-seeking bullets, and also had a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Bullcrap

Really?

Obviously the point went well over your head.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join