It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico president cancels Trump summit as wall jibe deepens spat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If "cheap" Mexican goods suddenly cost more to import then the USA simply buys domestically, creating jobs, boosting the local economy, and creating more tax revenue to fund infrastructure projects, including the wall; All of which helps Trump further his agenda and continue to make good on his campaign promises and has the side effect of helping Americans. C'mon guys, this is basic stuff.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Orwells Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Then again we pay for it! Either way WE pay for the stupid wall.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

Meanwhile we just blew 30 billion on a wall.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The USA is the largest economy in the world, has the greatest purchasing power per capita in the world, and is the third largest nation in the world. The dollar is still the world reserve currency. Do you really think the global corporate structure is going to abandon this cash cow over the principles of a trade rift between the USA and a third world nation? Really?

Irony of ironies, nearly all of the world's popcorn supply comes from the United States, and Mexico is the largest importer of US popcorn.
www.seecalifornia.com...
So thank you for buying American and getting that popcorn ready!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mzinga

No. Your grasp of basic economics and trade is clearly lacking.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

So then who pays for it? Please enlighten us. New Trump trickle down economics. Please explain how spending $30 billion on a wall will bring in more money in tax revenue from jobs.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga

Then again we pay for it! Either way WE pay for the stupid wall.

If we're buying American, then the money stays inside the US economy rather than leaving the US for Mexico where it benefits this country not one bit.
Jesus Christ, the lack of macroeconomic horse sense in these discussions is freaking disturbing. Do they teach macroeconomics in schools anymore?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Mexico is in the weaker position, but they are in a "symbiotic" relationship with the US and while we may like to pound our chests because we are the big dog on the block, we may be only hurting ourselves in the end for no logical reason.
money.cnn.com...

Replace "symbiotic" with "parasitic" and you are closer to the mark.
Hence the desire to renegotiate NAFTA. I feel it will benefit both nations more if we cut the red tape and make trade deals on simpler terms. But that's just my simple opinion...

More importantly.
Why does the left always have a bigger desire to coddle and protect anyone but thy neighbor?
Is it because that principle was taken from Christianity?
You'd think the hive mind that is liberalism would see the suffering on both sides of the border. But every liberal I debate this wall thing with is completely oblivious to the huge death toll our open border policies has caused. Tell them the death toll around our open border is now comparable to Vietnam and I get the deer in the head lights every time. It has allowed for human smuggling operations to thrive where 80% of the women are raped and thousands of unmarked graves in the desert on both sides of the border.

Yet people like me and Trump who want to at least push back the tide of violence are racist right?
If you look it it from my perspective the left are the unethical ones by allowing the slaughter to continue.
But again just another humble opinion.

Mexico can do whatever it wants but like you mentioned Vert Mexico is indeed in the weaker position and will eventually come to the table.
Ooooor...
"The wall just got 10 feet higher."

link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost
If "cheap" Mexican goods suddenly cost more to import then the USA simply buys domestically, creating jobs, boosting the local economy, and creating more tax revenue to fund infrastructure projects, including the wall; All of which helps Trump further his agenda and continue to make good on his campaign promises and has the side effect of helping Americans. C'mon guys, this is basic stuff.

It's not that easy.

It would take a lot of time and money for people in the US to build the factories and such to meet demand. Even then, there is no guarantee the cost would be lower than the inflated costs of the Mexicans goods.

Also, where we really need to be careful is the food industry. I think we import well over 60% of our vegetables from Mexico and 40% of our fruit. The US cannot keep up with demand if we dumped the imports from Mexico. Food costs would rocket.

Let's not begin to talk about the Auto industry. That's a monster on it's own.

link   

^Burdman's explained it for you, more nicely then I might have.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: introvert

Buy American, issue resolved.

It's not that simple.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Okay, so lets have a basic econ class.

We spend $30 billion on a wall.

To pay for the wall we tax mexican goods at an additional 20%

You all say we won't pay for it.. We will buy American

Either we pay more for those goods, or we create new low paying jobs.

Corporations avoid income tax. We would need to sell an addition Trillion dollars in these goods at a normal tax rate. That is assuming the corporation actually pays their taxes unlike GE.

So lets start again. How do the people of the United States not pay for the wall?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Actually is this #alternatefacts right?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Most of the manufacturing jobs in the US are gone forever. it is not that easy to retool the machinery overnight and start producing goods.

The wall is wasteful, instead spend that money towards manufacturing sector. It is 2017, there are better way to enforce existing immigration laws. NSA is keeping track of every citizen, banks are keeping track of every transaction of US citizens, and they are telling us Wall is the only way to prevent illegal immigration?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Why do you guys always use the same buzzwords in your deflection attempts?

link   
a reply to: VimanaExplorer

Dude, just trust Trump. He has it all figured out. At least that is what we keep getting told.

link   

Not my buzzword. It came from #trumpcamp

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Okay, that's fine, it doesn't really matter anyways. Back to the issue at hand. What do you think the detrimental effects of this 20% tariff on Mexican goods are to the US economy? Do you see any benefit's to this arrangement at all?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
It would take a lot of time and money for people in the US to build the factories and such to meet demand. Even then, there is no guarantee the cost would be lower than the inflated costs of the Mexicans goods.

Also, where we really need to be careful is the food industry. I think we import well over 60% of our vegetables from Mexico and 40% of our fruit. The US cannot keep up with demand if we dumped the imports from Mexico. Food costs would rocket.

Simple path forward
1. Invest in getting those US factories back up and running. There is no way the short term "losses" are going to exceed the money we spent for absolutely F-all nothing over the past 8 years.
2. The guarantee comes in the form of import tariffs. If American products are still too pricey, increase theimport tariffs accordingly.
3. Eliminate federal ethanol subsidies opening up massive swaths of arable farmland for the production of feed corn and domestic food production as it was for the first 200 years of this nation's existence.
4. Enjoy the restoration of a secure financial future for America.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I feel it will benefit both nations more if we cut the red tape and make trade deals on simpler terms. But that's just my simple opinion...

I'm not opposed to an update to NAFTA, but we are talking about import taxes.

Why does the left always have a bigger desire to coddle and protect anyone but thy neighbor?

Why does your attempt at partisan hackery have to do with the topic at hand?

Is it because that principle was taken from Christianity?

That's just stupid. You do know that many liberals are also Christian, right? Your persecution complex is showing.

You'd think the hive mind that is liberalism would see the suffering on both sides of the border. But every liberal I debate this wall thing with is completely oblivious to the huge death toll our open border policies has caused. Tell them the death toll around our open border is now comparable to Vietnam and I get the deer in the head lights every time. It has allowed for human smuggling operations to thrive where 80% of the women are raped and thousands of unmarked graves in the desert on both sides of the border. Yet people like me and Trump who want to at least push back the tide of violence are racist right? If you look it it from my perspective the left are the unethical ones by allowing the slaughter to continue. But again just another humble opinion.

I bet they do get the deer in the headlight look, because your "opinion" is devoid of fact. We do not have an open-border policy and we are stopping more people at the border than at any time in history.

Mexico can do whatever it wants but like you mentioned Vert Mexico is indeed in the weaker position and will eventually come to the table. Ooooor... "The wall just got 10 feet higher."

And we will pay for it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join