It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico president cancels Trump summit as wall jibe deepens spat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like they're real nervous about the coming changes to NAFTA.

looks like the exact opposite. almost as if to dismiss Trumps threats, no? as cool, build the wall we'll 'pay' for it.

where is this logic... if i build a fence around my home then knock on my neighbor's doors and ask them to pay for it... or else. lol.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Do we really want to have a hostile nation on our southern border?

WE ALREADY HAVE A HOSTILE GODDAMNED NATION ON OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!!!!

Friends don't send their dregs to live with other friends. Friends don't allow corruption to create a virtual warzone that constantly spills over into their friend's yard. Friends don't take, take, take, take, take, without ever once giving anything other than problems. Face it, that third world hell hole south of El Paso is no friend of the United States and hasn't been for several decades now.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You didn't read the entire piece, did you?

we should continue to piss away well over $100 Billion a year on educating

They are paying taxes, so they are paying for their own educations.

incarcerating

It sucks that we have to pay for anyone's incarceration.

and caring for them?

Again, you didn't read it.

Illegal immigrants do not qualify for welfare assistance.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

...and so Mexico begins paying for the wall...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Countries don't "play ball" like corporations or individuals.

This is what Kissinger had to say in an interview with Fareed Zakaria last Fall, re Trump's "negotiating" background

"It's a difference between commercial deals and foreign policy deals. Commercial deals are usually between entities that have one particular objective that they share or some crisis that they want to reduce. They deal with that, come to an agreement and never see each other again.

...it's a single transaction. In foreign policy, you meet the same people over and over again. And so you have to build not not only for one deal, you have to build for a deal that produces an impetus for further deals along the way."

IOW Trump has no negotiating skills for foreign policy deals.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Federally, yes. States, no. States are paying $84 Billion a year to educate and provide health, welfare, housing, and food assistance to illegals.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
WE ALREADY HAVE A HOSTILE GODDAMNED NATION ON OUR SOUTHERN BORDER!!!!

Friends don't send their dregs to live with other friends. Friends don't allow corruption to create a virtual warzone that constantly spills over into their friend's yard. Friends don't take, take, take, take, take, without ever once giving anything other than problems. Face it, that third world hell hole south of El Paso is no friend of the United States and hasn't been for several decades now.

Friends? Spilling over their friends yard? Really? Only 150 years ago California, New Mexico, Texas etc were Mexican land. How has that friendship worked out for the Mexicans?

Approximately 40% of illegal immigrants don't cross the border, but arrive in the US legally with a short term visa and then never leave. How is a wall going to stop that?

Walls have never stopped people's movement and never fixed any problems, look at Berlin and Israel for example. But a wall would be catastrophic for the environment, as animals need to cross from one country to the other.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
www.cnn.com... 0838PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=33820226

There you have it. A 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to the USA to pay for the wall. How's that for respecting the taxpayer?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

1. The Berlin Wall... Well, that was a wall to keep people in, not out. Plus, communism.

2. Israel's wall has worked wonderfully for them. In many ways it is the model the US should embrace as we build our own wall.

There's presently a fence along most of the US/Mexican border, so the animal migration issue is moot.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

There you have it. A 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to the USA to pay for the wall. How's that for respecting the taxpayer?

That's a thing of beauty AND is an actual Constitutional application of taxation to boot! Ironically, one of the few things the US government is actually Constitutionally tasked with, levying of trade tariffs, is also one of the few areas of power they've actively abdicated over the past few decades. It's long past time for this international free trade bullroar to cease and the US to start embracing national protectionist trade policies.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I bet the Mexican government is now wishing they'd just agreed to pay for the wall out of pocket.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

looks like the exact opposite. almost as if to dismiss Trumps threats, no? as cool, build the wall we'll 'pay' for it.

where is this logic... if i build a fence around my home then knock on my neighbor's doors and ask them to pay for it... or else. lol

Yeah, it's nothing like that but I get why this situation is hard for you liberals to process. It's because you guys are the subordinates in most of your relations to the world. You guys don't understand what it's like to operate as the alpha and how throwing your weight works. This is why the situation has you perplexed. That said change your example to build this fence or I'll stop subsidizing your ability to feed your family, I'll not let you off your property to talk to any of the neighbors, and if you ever make a loud noise I'll come over and break your face in; I promise the little weasel will build the fence. We are the host not the parasite and you need to start thinking opposite your daily life.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
80% of Mexican exports go to the United States. Anyone who thinks Mexico is going to put up a tough fight is delusional. Either Nieto folds, or his economy does. The U.S. has all the cards, we've just been too stupid to play them.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Federally, yes. States, no. States are paying $84 Billion a year to educate and provide health, welfare, housing, and food assistance to illegals.

Is that the estimate made by FAIR? They have no way of accurately pinning those numbers. They can only rough it out.

What Fair does not like to talk about is the economic activity illegal/undocumented workers create that offset those costs. I've read where some economists state that if all illegal immigrants were to be taken out of the economy, it would create a trillion dollar hole that we could not fill on our own.

Like I said earlier, this issue is much more complicated than how it is usually presented and it takes a bit more thought than simply screaming "get off my lawn".
edit on 26-1-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
So ya'll Trump supporters still on board? This 20% import tax on Mexican goods to pay for this stupid wall gets paid by who?!?!? Ya'll..

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga
So ya'll Trump supporters still on board? This 20% import tax on Mexican goods to pay for this stupid wall gets paid by who?!?!? Ya'll..

Mexico simply adds 20% to the cost of imported goods.

We pay for it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've not seen this any where (from the beeb, breaking) :Trump : Import tax to pay for mexican wall (20% import tax on goods from mexico))

M'okkay ... so, all of that for a border dispute.
What'll happen when the South China sea thing heats up ?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You know, brother, we can sit here and play grabass all day with speculations and arguable fiduciary numbers, but it's getting tiresome. Allow me to slam dunk this one and end the stalemate.

The federal law differentiates between legal immigration and illegal immigration, and clearly states that illegal immigrants may be deported back to their nations of origin following identification of them being here illegally. Further, the 1996 reform law prescribes deportation immediately following commission of ANY crime, felony or misdemeanor (by definition, if they're nor here legally with an active visa, they're violating the law). The Constitution places all authority on the federal government to levy tariffs, secure the national borders, and set immigration law and policy.

These are the same laws and clauses the Obama admin successfully used to block Arizona from enforcing immigration codes more stringently than his sieve-like policies. We now have an administration which will apply those same laws and clauses to tell sanctuary states STFU, adults are now handling things realistically and pragmatically.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Buy American, issue resolved.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

That's a thing of beauty AND is an actual Constitutional application of taxation to boot! Ironically, one of the few things the US government is actually Constitutionally tasked with, levying of trade tariffs, is also one of the few areas of power they've actively abdicated over the past few decades. It's long past time for this international free trade bullroar to cease and the US to start embracing national protectionist trade policies.

what if Mexico start looking for trade with (China) and bypass the US entirely.

how much in the average household is made in Mexico, clothing, food/beverages/cars etc.
who really needs whom here. Im almost certain Pena after, calmly cancelled talks with Trump as if its no biggie, knows which country is relying on what more and other bigger import/export nations are ready to capitalize on, not only this admin's over-estimation of themselves, but underestimating everyone else..

either way i got my popcorn ready.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join