It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods and Staff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Its a short post because they are very simple question. Are the staff on this site permitted to express their opinions on the current US election? Does ATS officially, or otherwise, have a policy of supporting one particular candidate or party? Are staff and mods encouraged to take a particular stance?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In order: Yes, No, and No.

Yes we are allowed to have opinions when we post as members.

No ATS does not have any official stance on the election.

No, staff member are not encouraged to take any stance. If they do, they do so of their own free will and choice, however no opinion or stance is used while moderating.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The mods here are absolutely allowed to express their personal opinions, but when they do, you'll notice a wrapper around the text saying so. I don't know if they're "encouraged" to take any particular stance, but I highly doubt it.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Mods are members first. We're allowed to post on any topic we choose to post to. Anything we post is OUR opinion, and nobody else's. The staff is just as diverse a crowd as the membership is.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Thank you for that response.
a reply to: eriktheawful

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Thankyou
a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply.
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yes, the mod ranks are very diverse. I imagine they still sometimes have heated debates on the Cosmic boards.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Are there any mods you know of that would admit to supporting Trump? By the way I am not asking you to name thema reply to: Zaphod58

edit on 24-10-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

When you consider the fact that our staff reside in many countries (Britain, Africa, Eastern Europe, Canada, New Zealand, etc.), it would be problematic for the 'Owners' to entice these staffers to take a specific stance on the American election.

I, for one, would object strenuously, as I do not believe any of the 4 main contestants are worthy of the White House.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
One thing to add, if mods want to distance their opinion from ATS and voice it in a private matter, you´ll often, but not always see it tagged with a dotted quote like message. The absence of it, does not mean it´s the "official ATS opinion", but if you see it, the mod used that tag to make it 100% clear it´s his own opinion. It reads like "this post is a private participation in this thread" or so..

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Something like this

But yes, as stated, we are members first, we don't moderate any threads we've participated either.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Why does it matter ?

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

If we were expected to tow a Party line, I'd imagine most of us would be gone. It's the exact opposite of that and we are as diverse as the membership is, as the others have noted.

One thing we do have in common is a love for ATS and a desire to see ATS continue. We are never asked to do anything but moderate fairly using the T&C as our guide. We are normal members with jobs, lives and families who try to keep this place inside the lines of sanity because we enjoy being a part of it.

The owners are fair minded, supportive and never ask us to do anything but be ourselves. We are members first and staff second, which is how it should be and why I stay.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Are there any mods you know of that would admit to supporting Trump? By the way I am not asking you to name thema reply to: Zaphod58

Our political views are as diverse as we are. They do not play a role in our decisions as staff and could not as all decisions are made by a consensus.

We are often accused of being biased by all sides of the political spectrum, which I've always found interesting. We could not possibly be both biased to the Left and Right at the same time. The real answer is that we make decisions based on the rules. The rules everyone agrees to follow are all intended to keep the conversations civil.

I'd suggest you read our posts as members if you want to get to know us.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thank you all for your responses reading them has been a great help.

To the person that asked me why it matters. It matters to me because I have seen a great deal of political bias lately from where there ought to be neutrality and not just in the MSM and it both disgusts and unsettles me.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As has been said...

My posts are my own opinions. I am allowed to state whatever opinion I hold, as long as I state it within the Terms & Conditions (just as regular members are required to do). If at any time I find my position entails me expressing an opinion I find objectionable on the boards, I will no longer be a Moderator.

The Staff are diverse, possibly more so than the rest of the members. Some I agree with; some I don't. When it comes to ATS business, it's irrelevant. Terms & Conditions, and the good of ATS, are all that matters.

ATS certainly does NOT take a political or social stance on issues. This site is for open discussion of all sides of issues.

If you want to know how many Staff members support any position, just take a look at the membership. The percentages are probably the same.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The only thing that plays a role in staff actions are the T&C of the site. The staff are about as far apart politically as any other group.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Whichever the political bias shown, know that it is the personal opinion shared. Opinions shared within threads are completely fine, regardless of who posts them (members or staff).

It does NOT represent the bias of the staff in total and it is NOT attached to how that individual moderates.

There is absolutely NOTHING actioned as moderators that is not immediately obvious to the entire staff, owners included.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Why does it matter ?

Until you asked that question it didn't...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join