It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA to "Temporarily" Add Kratom to Schedule I at September's End

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This pisses me off pretty bad, because kratom really helps with some digestive issues I have. It affects everyone a little differently, however it is believed by many users to aid in opiate withdrawal and pain management.

But, it's not a pill that's been patented by the pharmaceutical industry. So, we get this bulls#:

Huffington Post

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is moving to place the herbal supplement kratom on its list of Schedule I drugs, effectively banning a naturally occurring psychoactive substance that some say holds promise as a therapy for opioid addiction.

The DEA, in a notice published in the Federal Register this week, said it wants to include two active kratom ingredients in its most restrictive classification of drugs with high potential for abuse and no known medical benefit, signaling that the government considers the plant as dangerous as heroin. The scheduling move would last for two years, with a possible extension of an additional year, and would go into effect at the end of September.

Of course this won't be temporary. Nothing is temporary with the government.

And of course, prohibition won't work. It never does. It simply increases the price and creates more crime, especially of the victimless sort. So the prison-industrial complex will cash in on it as well. I guess they have to make up the loss of incarceration for marijuana somewhere, right?

F# bastards. I'm fuming right now.

The federal government’s decision may be devestating for Americans who have used kratom for pain management and treatment for a variety of other health issues, said Ash. With harsh penalties likely to come with the DEA Schedule I designation, many people will be forced to decide whether to risk the purchase of kratom on the black market, seek legal narcotics associated with addiction and other problems, or attempt to manage without any treatment.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Hmm, I couldn't copy the quote, but they used 'misused' and "self-treat" in the same sentence. Kind of spells it all out. How dare you think you could keep on getting away with this! You will pay and pay dearly! It's right up there with pot for its addictive qualities!!

In seriousness, sorry. Are herbal teas and spices next? This is getting ridiculous.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'm annoyed and I'm with you.

Here we go, MJ version 2.

Take a substance that has healing qualities, lie that it hasn't and add it to the highest schedule like that makes any sense at all.

This is just Big Pharma flexing their muscles via their paid for servant ... the DEA.

Da place, she is all messed up!

P

edit on 31/8/2016 by pheonix358 because: Engwish

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I should drop trou on the DEA's front steps and take a giant crap.

But I'd probably have to wait there for quite a few minutes without the damn kratom. Details you probably don't want, but it's the best laxative I've ever taken. But again, it affects everyone a little differently.

I doubt the DEA will come to any positive conclusion. They recently kept cannabis on Schedule I despite the mountain of overwhelming evidence of medicinal value.

They'd rather have us all hooked on dangerous narcotics and God knows what else.

Can't we just use what the earth provides without running it all through some damn factory?
edit on 8/31/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
But I'd probably have to wait there for quite a few minutes without the damn kratom. Details you probably don't want, but it's the best laxative I've ever taken. But again, it affects everyone a little differently.

Hrmmm....

I'm quite a bit familiar with this subject, although it isn't something I get into. It being an opioid analog, I'm very surprised to hear it being an laxative. The parts it can help opiate addicted folks I was aware of, meaning if it can ALSO help them take a dump even better!!! Er wait, I guess now you'll face prison. For the moment, you can still order the plants online (if you order in the next 45 seconds MAYBE you can get it in stock), although if you cant provide it tropical growing conditions dont bother. ...
edit on 31-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah, for many people it has the opposite effect. But I'm kinda weird with opiates (and to reiterate, kratom is not an opioid--it just behaves similarly for some people). They've always just made me deathly ill, even in ultra-small doses, so I've generally stayed away from them. I'm fortunate in that regard.

It doesn't surprise me that it would work "backwards" on me in that way, although it does really help with mild pain too.

But damn. Need all the help I can get these days.
edit on 8/31/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Hmm, I couldn't copy the quote, but they used 'misused' and "self-treat" in the same sentence. Kind of spells it all out. How dare you think you could keep on getting away with this! You will pay and pay dearly! It's right up there with pot for its addictive qualities!!

In seriousness, sorry. Are herbal teas and spices next? This is getting ridiculous.

Makes you wonder. No more ginger tea for your bellyache or some such crap.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Wow, that really sucks. I don't have much personal experience with kratom but I know it isn't as dangerous as heroin.
They have had their sights on this for a bit, sad to see them finally take action.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Kratom is not a "drug" made by big pharma. That's the only real problem with it. I have used it off and on over the years. I don't think there is any "addictive" potential. I think they are worried about big-pharma losing too much money. Oh and one other thing to lock people up for.... Ridiculous. I am wanting to leave the USA more and more every day that passes. Land of the free? What a JOKE! It's offensive to me also!

How about this FDA and DEA? It's MY BODY. I WILL DO WITH IT AS I PLEASE. That goes for ALL people in a FREE country.
edit on 8/31/2016 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

God! Those azzes! Those bazztards! Miserable motherless SOB's! Ad infinitum....

My son had been taking it for about 8 months before I tried it for times I run short of prescribed opiates I not only hate to take, but also took the life of one of my sons. Amazingly it works VERY well. The affects don't last as long as I'd like, so I end up taking it 3-4 times a day. No ill affects, certainly NO addiction problems. It doesn't make you "goofy" or even hungry. Contraindications? For us, absolutely none. The closest thing to a problem we were looking at was cost...it's not cheap, but considering the alternative it's worth it. But now...this borders on unimaginable interference, AGAIN, into our lives!

Yeah. Good ole Big Bro Pharma. Thank you for EVERYTHING! I guess challenges need to be plotted and put in the works NOW! I hate to even contemplate what they can/will do next. Ban gardens? Puppies? Kittens? Christmas?

Guess I'd better get busy figuring how much I can afford to order before the end of next month... anybody else?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
For anyboody that got hooked on opiates legitimately, for pain, and still are because still have pain, I know essentially first hand that people can heal their (even 5+ years standing) wounds and naturally kick opiates with.... Yellow Turmeric (high grade product).

If you got there by non-medical means I dont know what to tell you, as that's usually heavily personalized psychology from that point.
edit on 31-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Off-topic: For some reason, this news story made me feel like Hillary Clinton is going to win the election. These are very interesting times.

I wonder why the people of the very young USA cannot ever take Federal agencies to court on these types of things and win? People are losing more and more rights every day. I wonder how long it is until they try to make EVERYTHING natural illegal? I heard a long time ago that was the goal of Agenda 21 now called Agenda 2030 from U.N. I wonder if they intend to do this worldwide?
edit on 8/31/2016 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Ridiculous Ridiculous Ridiculous. People need to really look in the mirror in USA, because its not the 'good guys' anymore. Worse or as bad as Rome in its darkest years. The only thing you can say now is, "well we don't torture people..." wait, never mind. Not your citizens anyway...not yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I use it for depression. I've been off of prescription medications since I started on Kratom last year, with MUCH better results. I guess now it's back to the government drug dealers to get back on what they feel is better for me. This in itself is extremely depressing. Good job DEA! Ya slimy f**cks.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Your health is not important to these scumbags, only the size of you wallet.....

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
what does this stuff do, it must be awesome if they sched 1 it

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Where are the studies? What scientific evidence does the DEA use in their determination? Who are the ones that decide these things? All I see and read is that the "DEA" as an agency has "decided" what is what. How does that work? Do they collude or take their recommendations from the FDA? THE SAME F#KING FDA THAT WON'T APPROVE ANY DRUG UNLESS ITS TOXIC TO US!!!??

Who has the right to determine what you do with your own body? WHO!!??

WE ALL have consented way too much to too many agencies for too f#KING long.

I'm sick of this sh#t.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
what does this stuff do, it must be awesome if they sched 1 it

it is not awesome in the way that you get messed up. not at all.
it is insane that this is going to be a schedule 1.

i have used it here and there for years. if a person is having a time coming off opiates then kratom is the thing for them. it stops the dt's like now.
ive used it for that as well as small aches and pains. it is wonderful for those things.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Always follow the money!

In Thailand, kratom was first scheduled for control in 1943 under the Kratom Act. At the time, the government was levying taxes from users and shops involved in the opium trade. Because of the increasing opium costs, many users were switching to kratom to manage their withdrawal symptoms. However, the launch of the Greater East Asia War in 1942 and declining revenues from the opium trade pushed the Thai government into action to curb and suppress competition in the opium market by making kratom illegal
en.wikipedia.org...

Heaven forbid anything should come between the governments and their money! Sew up that (newly called for opiate addiction) market, quick, before people learn how to take control!

edit on 31-8-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Always follow the money!

In Thailand, kratom was first scheduled for control in 1943 under the Kratom Act. At the time, the government was levying taxes from users and shops involved in the opium trade. Because of the increasing opium costs, many users were switching to kratom to manage their withdrawal symptoms. However, the launch of the Greater East Asia War in 1942 and declining revenues from the opium trade pushed the Thai government into action to curb and suppress competition in the opium market by making kratom illegal
en.wikipedia.org...

Heaven forbid anything should come between the governments and their money! Sew up that (newly called for opiate addiction) market, quick, before people learn how to take control!

hi

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join