It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV License now required for Catch Up TV

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: bigyin

i have no TV licence - got rid of TV set over 2 years ago - and now am only reliant of downloaded progs that really interest me that mates with licences get for me - cos they are mates

BUT - my understanding - is that a std TV licence covers any appliances on // in a property

or has that now been ammended ??

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
technially by the time the broadcast reaches your receiver is it really "live"? we could get into all sorts of pedantics making the bbc look like the nuggets they are.

if you like being told what to do all your life buy a tv license, whereas if you have a backbone and a good moral compass, dont buy a license.

simple simple simple.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Redback

originally posted by: bigtrousers

originally posted by: bigyin
a reply to: Redback

The law is changing so if you use iPlayer you need a license.

The point is though just having a tv in your house will likely make you need a license whether you switch it on or not.

So does that mean having iplayer app installed, which sometimes comes as standard on some devices means you will need a license. I don't know. Just asking.

if we re a country run by the people then this extortion racket shouldnt even exist, bbc is pish compared to pretty much every other channel.

even ch5 has better stuff on it and thats always been free.

Fully agree BT apart from the ch5 bit, i know nothing about ch5.lol The BBC should be in a court of law explaining what goes on there and then should be closed forever.

the main reasons i dont pay for a license is more to do with their business practices rather than being stubborn for no reason, if the money went somewhere worthwhile then id agree with it, but most of it just goes to overpaying actors who have good mates high up in the production lot at bbc hq.

the way they deal with things makes me want nothing to do with the company, so glad they sacked top gear and now top gear is on prime, win/win for everyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
and ch5 when i used to watch it had all sorts of different stuff on it, sometimes movies somtimes car programs, certainly better than the drivel on bbc, most of their shows are repeats too, id rather have the adverts.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
it might just be a generation thing, i can see why older people prefer bbc 1 and 2.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

Reading this I wonder how it applies to smart phones. Does this mean having a smart phone you will have to have a tv license ?

TV license only covers 3 devices, so in a typical house you might have 2 or 3 tv's and maybe another 4 smart phones plus other devices capable of watching catch up tv on iplayer. So 1 license won't cover that lot, who in the house will be responsible for buying multiple licenses.

It's just a crazy idea. High time tv license was done away with imo

3 devices? Never heard that before and a 10-second google doesn't offer any reference to it. I do not believe this to be true.

According to the TVLA, the license covers any and all equipment in the house.

The limitation is that it doesn't cover equipment used in parts of the property that are exclusively under the control of someone else (ie if you have a lodger or tenant who rents out part of the property, they would need their own license if they watched TV in their room).

Also, the license covers members of the household using battery-powered equipment, where ever they may be at the time. So, if you have a license for your home, you're still covered if you watch iPlayer on your smartphone while on the bus/at work/whatever.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

If you watch anything streaming on your computer, console, tablet, or phone, you need a seperate license for each device also...this includes youtube streaming, or any other streaming live service (twitch for example, periscope).

So, if you have in home, 2 televisions, a computer, a laptop, a tablet, and a xbox..that could be costing you £900 a year extra..because they said so.

Absolutely wrong. One license covers all equipment on the property, and also covers fixed equipment in vehicles (ie a TV in a camper van) and portable battery-powered equipment (ie streaming iPlayer on smartphones) that you use outside of your property.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparky63
Wow...State sponsored mind manipulation and they make you pay for it whether you like it or not....
I cancelled my cable subscription 8 years ago and only use my TV to watch dvd's.

In that scenario in the UK, you would not need to purchase a TV license. I know a few people who do exactly the same.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

its not a legal requirement to have a t.v licence, perhaps it is you that should be looking into the law.

It is a legal requirement
you are breaking the law if you watch streaming television in the uk without paying for it. clearcut and simple.

My first response to was make the same points, but reading back through the post I think they meant that the law doesn't say everyone HAS to have a license, only those people who choose to use the service are required to have a license.

The problem is that the government assumes everyone does use the service, and those who claim they don't are lying.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

its not criminal, its civil.

It's a summary criminal offence for which you can be convicted and fined, though not imprisoned.

It might be enforced by a civil agency, but it is a criminal offence.

Part 4: Communications Act 2003

363 Licence required for use of TV receiver
(3) A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—

(a) intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or
(b) knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,

is guilty of an offence.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

its not criminal, its civil.

It's a summary criminal offence for which you can be convicted and fined, though not imprisoned.

It might be enforced by a civil agency, but it is a criminal offence.

Part 4: Communications Act 2003

363 Licence required for use of TV receiver
(3) A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—

(a) intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or
(b) knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,

is guilty of an offence.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

a " tv receiver" could literally be a piece of metal.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Redback

Do you have a smart phone ?

If so then you should have a tv license

I think i am missing something here...!!!!
Yes i have a smartphone, an ipad, a tablet and a laptop but i dont watch live tv which is what the license is for is it not?

I believe at the moment (and bear in mind this is only an opinion) that a smartphone would only fall under this is you had installed the BBC iPlayer application, in the same way that a TV only needs to be licensed if it is set up to receive live broadcasts.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Saying random things doesn't make them true. The legal meaning of "TV receiver" took less time to find than it took to read your post.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004

Meaning of “television receiver”

9.—(1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

Saying random things doesn't make them true. The legal meaning of "TV receiver" took less time to find than it took to read your post.

The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004

Meaning of “television receiver”

9.—(1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.

pretty sure if you use any metal as a receiver you will get signal of varying degrees in quality.

my point is, they cant intercept your signal, stop worrying about nothing.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
try it yourself, use a frying pan with the copper cable into the back of your t.v wave it around till you find signal.

just because you dont know its true doesnt mean it isnt.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
and if youre really pushed for a receiver stick your finger into the aerial socket in the back of the t.v.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

i have not bought a tv license for over 40 years , does that count as volunteering .

you can stop them calling , simply ring them up and tell them to stop harassing you .

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
YOU just scared the CRAP out of me.
NOBODY 'S GETTING IN THE DAMN HOUSE!

===

In England, Germany and much of Europe you still have TV licences
where vans with special antennae used to drive around trying
to find the EM emission from unlicences TV (all CRT TVs aka
Cathode Ray Tubes emit EM) Nowadays inspectors come into
houses, apartments (aka flats) etc to find illegal TV's

Many channels have NO COMMERCIALS and the BBC
is licence-funding supported, so the North American advertising
supported television system simply DOES NOT EXIST in Europe.

The fines are pretty hefty in many places for not having a TV licence!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
a reply to: reldra

Those guys were as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses. Brother of mine often threatened to offer them a cup of coffee steeled with laxative so they would stop bothering his family and their next victims.

Would have been hilarious and deserved but I fear may open your brother up to arrest.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61

originally posted by: Gin
a reply to: reldra

Those guys were as annoying as Jehovah's witnesses. Brother of mine often threatened to offer them a cup of coffee steeled with laxative so they would stop bothering his family and their next victims.

Would have been hilarious and deserved but I fear may open your brother up to arrest.

biological terrorism or some such nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join