It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV License now required for Catch Up TV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
iPlayer 'loophole' to close on 1 September

Reading this I wonder how it applies to smart phones. Does this mean having a smart phone you will have to have a tv license ?

TV license only covers 3 devices, so in a typical house you might have 2 or 3 tv's and maybe another 4 smart phones plus other devices capable of watching catch up tv on iplayer. So 1 license won't cover that lot, who in the house will be responsible for buying multiple licenses.

It's just a crazy idea. High time tv license was done away with imo

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bigyin

wtf?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
YOU just scared the CRAP out of me.
NOBODY 'S GETTING IN THE DAMN HOUSE!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

3 Amigos?

The UK and their stupid TV licenses.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Been coming for a while now fella.

Tv licence is getting scrapped soon for a mandatory entertainment licence applied to all households regardless of if you have a tv or not.

It's about the same price as a tv licence funniily enough...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Blazing Saddles

Gin

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Be happy you still have a simple TV licence to pay. In Finland we have this so called Public broadcasting tax that replaced the TV licences in 2013. It taxes everyone, even those without a TV.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: [pos=21079674]bigyin[/post]

I think only 3 devices in the house would link to server. A phone would need a separate server outside say...5-10- 30 miles from wifi access in home.

Don't know but sounds like 3 in home only unless 1-2 phone can link back via acct #. wherever you are.

Whatever it is... More companies are sure to follow. A bunch of us here used to share a Netflix acct. #, but they got wise to it and capped how many and new what you were using.

Some of us lived 50 miles from each other all using the same acct...they got wise. End of Netflix for a lot of us...
edit on 1-8-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's just a little tax, what's the problem?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The license system is stupid. Lets face it everyone watches tv at some time or other, so yea everyone should be paying. But if thats the case then why issue licenses. Just put general taxes up a bit and that will cover it. Do away with the outdated system of a piece of paper being sent to addresses and then employing an army of people to hound people, chase them through courts, chase up people who have moved, and all sorts of other lunacy. It's just a job creation scheme

I don't mind paying for a service but it should be a good service run efficiently
edit on b55416558 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Three options spring to mind.

Option 1: Don't answer the door to them, don't respond to any communications, letters, or provide them with any personal information. And they don't have a leg to stand on regarding there extortion scam. They will eventually threaten to obtain a search warrant, but not many courts/judges in the land will issue such without the correct details, which is why they try so hard to get your personal information, like i said don't accommodate them.

Option 2: If you do answer the door to them simply say "I here by remove you implied right of access to this property, kindly leave the premises or i will phone the Police and have you removed". Also don't provide them with any additional information and film them they don't like that.

Option 3: Wimp out, be intimidated by there illegal extortion scam and buy a licence.

edit on 1-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

if everyone stopped buying the license , they would have no choice but to scrap it

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill

Hear, hear!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
My mum told me an amusing story about when they used to avoid paying their license fee as they were always broke. I was about 5 at the time, my brother around 3.

They knocked on the door and asked my mum whether she had a television. She denied it while they continued to ask more questions.

Anyway, apparently I came running up behind her shouting "Mum!! X won't let me turn the telly over!!!". Busted.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
a reply to: Swills

Blazing Saddles

Gold Hat from The Treasure of the Sierra Madres.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I know that is a UK thing, but I have also seen many youtube videos of people in the UK avoiding that license and the officials that knock on doors.

I would have an absolute fit if someone knocked on my door asking to see my computers ans TVs. It is just so alien to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

don't you think that the uk pays enough tax , vat is another form that they rip us off with ,

in the uk we get charged vat when we buy a van , it does not matter how old it is , but every time it is sold vat is payable

so you can see how much tax charged if the van changes 7 or 8 times in its life time .

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
Be happy you still have a simple TV licence to pay. In Finland we have this so called Public broadcasting tax that replaced the TV licences in 2013. It taxes everyone, even those without a TV.

I think PBS might be in US taxes, but it's a tiny amount.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

S&F just becausae you have to think about that nonsense.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join