It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A snowflake feels the heat at work.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hell, I can't keep one for $25 an hour, they all seem to be preoccupied.

They have replaced "want to" with "have to" in all their excuses.

Emergencies happen, hourly.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
a reply to: nullafides

You read AAM?????

You is "my people"!!!! and hiding in plain sight you are too! YAY!!!!!

RaggetyMan obviously missed the ENTIRE point of the article, but no surprise. I read it when it was posted and the take away for even an older worker was that corporate policy is what you agreed to when hired, or accepted the internship. Some things just are what they are. They usually don't change, or at best change S*L*O*W*L*Y. LOL!!!

We have problems across the board with new hires. Flat out the kids don't really want to work. They are appalled cell phones are not allowed, that you don't get a break till it's scheduled and YES...you have to punch in on time. Time isn't really "relative" either. SURPRISE!!!

On the bright side the more unreliable the younger workers are the more older workers are being sought in my area, a complete flip-flop from the past 15 years, so GREAT for me!!!

LOVE AAM and the posts about bad bosses ROCK!
I still miss WTF Wednesdays tho....Alison should have kept them. They were EPIC!!!

No t in raggedy
I am not denying what I don't know

Listen, if HR, that's modern speak for human resources ( we are now just a resource)
Employed these people then you would expect they are good, valued, worth employing and training
TRAINING, train them, crikey old person, you were trained, train the new staff, invest in them, teach them don't bitch at them like an old divorced parent.
Train them and they will be loyal

Act like a bitchy prima donna and new staff will leave and run the company down

Not rocket surgery

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Really

Me
Adult
Like to have an explanation
Not some Bitchin whining carry on from some arrogant tossa

I follow DIRECTIONS, not dictators

Keeping up?
edit on 30-6-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

You're an intern, your focus is to learn about the business. You're not supposed to care about the dress code. Rules are rules. The people that were wearing different shoes could of had a reason, medical or such. Maybe they should of asked that first instead of getting a petition. It doesn't really matter what generation you are from. I don't think they were being snowflakes as much as I think they weren't focusing on the task at hand .............their jobs.

except when that person took to writing about there petition on the Internet looking for sympathy. That's more about their feelings than doing the job
edit on 06Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:42:41 -05001020166America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

edit on 06Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:44:05 -05001020166America/Chicago by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
How much does an intern earn
I thought they got paid nothing, is that true???

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Value a person and they become valuable

They also become loyal

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

It's awfully pretentious to assume someones literary competency. I understood exactly what the OP was doing by posting in this manner, and I stated my opinion that I find that approach to be juvenile, and sad. You're entitled to your opinion on that, but assuming things about people you do not know, says a lot.

-Alee

edit on 6/30/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm going to defend the Snowflake.

I've worked in places where the preferred method of communication with the management was to bitch about them behind their backs and generally stir up resentment among the staff.

What a happy environment that makes for.

This kid tried to communicate in what they felt was a reasonable way and received, imo, a very unreasonable response.

It only goes to show how little value employers need to place on employees or interns these days. One word out of line and they're all expendable.

I've never had to wear a uniform. I'm a very professional person but you'd never guess it from the way I used to turn up at work.

This little snowflake made it clear enough that they had no dealings with the public and only wanted to wear more comfortable shoes.

I found the petition articulate and polite enough coming from such a very young person.

The management were bang out of order for firing them all, unless there is a lot more to the story than we're being told. I'm also working on the assumption it's genuine and not a wind up.

Challenge:

The Snowflake, part of the Snowflake generation, appears to have evoked Snowflake tendencies in an older, aspiring Snowflake who is now online inciting others with Snowflake tendencies to bitch about the original Snowflake who, in all likelihood, will probably outgrow their Snowflake tendencies and become a member of a Snowflake free environment in which Snowflakes will be a thing distantly remembered by Snowflakes and non Snowflakes alike.

That's eleven.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

Here we go.

$50 to the first person who can use the word "snowflake" ten times in one grammatically correct sentence.

Outflake the snowflake.

Does using eleven disqualify me from the $50 - cos I can go back and edit

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Value a person and they become valuable

They also become loyal

I couldn't have said it better myself.

$25 is about $20 more than the value and work ethic they bring to the table.

There is no emotion in business, or you are doing it wrong.

To pay an employee, they need to work, they can't get past showing up reliably.

Now what, go to their house, give them an hour for facebook, then carry them to the car?

edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Job training is one thing, but basic "life skills" are expected.

These interns took the internship, and had company policy spelled out to them. At that point it's "deal with what is".
They got together and cleverly got themselves bounced. Talking to some of the regular employees and LISTENING would have benefited them.

Most companies are not run by employee consensus. Something their school may not have mentioned? While the result was harsh, so is life. The letter was posted as an example of something on multiple levels going wrong. So others can avoid the same mistakes. Judging a companies internal corporate culture is learned. It's part of the skill set they will need. Some things you can push back on, most you can't.

I do agree training is necessary and sorely lacking in most jobs, but as an employee it's also up to yourself to ask questions, google things and position yourself as having potential. Most companies are cut to the bone currently and it's sink or swim in a matter of days when it used to be a couple of months. This is the current reality kids need to be prepared for. Not the pie in the sky crap schools allude to just for graduating.

Sorry I misspelled your name!

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: stosh64

What are you sure will be seen in this thread?

The proposal was written professionally like examples I have learned about in school, and our arguments were thought out and well-reasoned. We weren’t even given a chance to discuss it.

People that will argue from this standpoint. Just the college learning with no real world experience or common sense.

Kind of like programed drones that, once the programing gets questioned, have to resort back to the original program.

And they are unable to realize their 'programing' is defective, even when confronted with reality. Thus the "We weren’t even given a chance to discuss it" reasoning.

Hope that made sense given the topic, I realize my thinking is NOT 'normal'.

edit on 6 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike

Yes they were respectful but wouldn't it have been just as easy to google an get more comfortable appropriate shoes?

Problem solving is a skill.
These kids made a mountain out of a molehill.

In the real world, me included, investing in your feet is worth evey penny. I'm on my feet a straight 12hrs every day.
It's laughable to think I would require my company to change because I'm too dim to work that little conundrum out for myself.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Folks... apparently, we've got some special snowflakes here in this thread today!

"Oh, you must have been hurt!" "Why are you so mean?"

Dedicated employee.... my ass.

Exactly, this is what I was talking about in my first post.

Sorry if I stated that in an unclear way.

Its just the way my mind works.

edit on 6 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I really do get all that. But, when a kid has made an effort to address a problem and got it hopelessly wrong - from some people's standpoint - it wouldn't hurt to explain kindly that the world doesn't work like that.

I've worked for some right bastards but I never got fired for speaking out of turn.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Mrgone

Using the term 'oriental' is racist now?

Why is 'white' not racist?

I know, I am so out of touch.......

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Lol yes the OP is a snowflake about other snowflakes.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Is this a new trend....

Trump supporters ragging on young people? The new scapegoats because they know continued insults toward minorities and women is a losing proposition.

Just curious...
edit on 30-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Is this a new trend....

Trump supporters ragging on young people? The new scapegoats because they know continued insults toward minorities and women is a losing proposition.

Just curious...

What is your hard on for Trump? You sound obsessed.

posted on Jun, 30 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
this term 'snowflake' is one of the few things stupider than the behavior its meant to describe.

what they don't teach in school is how to be an employee and how to work within a team dynamic. not surprised a career student didn't get that lesson. no reason to make fun of them, mostly because its bullying.

the school of hard knocks is tough enough without a world full of bullies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join