It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My thoughts on the right wing Christian community's reaction to the Orlando massacre

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: Raggedyman

That is why I called them right wing Christians. These types are as bad as radical islamists and nazis.

The faith I was bought up in was still anti-gay, but a lot more chilled out and about community and helping a brother (or sister) out in times of need.

So bad they regularly toss them off of buildings and slaughter 50 of them?

I think calling them "as bad" is a bit of a stretch. Words are just that, words.

Words inspire action. So all the gay bashings in America mean nothing?

And you insinuate that all gay blood is dirty and diseased. They have good testing now and AIDS is nowhere near the problem it used to be.

edit on 15-6-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Westboro Baptists are horrible, I still don't even know if they're real or not. People who believe in the scriptures aren't about to get rid of their beliefs over this, I'm sure you will find some characters among them that have extreme views but youll be hard pressed to actually find proof of mainline Christianity endorsing these views or even wanting to..they're just not that into it.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

Westboro Baptists are horrible, I still don't even know if they're real or not. People who believe in the scriptures aren't about to get rid of their beliefs over this, I'm sure you will find some characters among them that have extreme views but youll be hard pressed to actually find proof of mainline Christianity endorsing these views or even wanting to..they're just not that into it.

We're even seeing it here in Australia. The (Christian) family first party has politicised the Orlando shooting and called the advancement of gay rights as a warning to families and children

www.news.com.au... 7afcab60b7a88

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Are you talking gay bashing as in verbal or literal?

If verbal, I'm sorry, but lots of people get bashed verbally for all different reasons.

If literal, then you need to determine and prove to me that this bashing comes exclusively as a causative effect of them sitting in a so-called "right wing" pew on Sunday and not any other reason.

I understand that there are preachers who say ugly things, but there are preachers who say ugly things about all kinds of sin, not just homosexuality. The thing is that no one has to be in their church. Unlike the Middle Eastern countries where the penalty for being gay is death (this is aside from ISIS), no one is compelled to follow any one faith or attend any one church here.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Dead people can't be brought back. Lives have been ruined. And to add to the pain we are being told that their lives did not matter anyway.

Harsh ... isn't it?

I get why some folks say their lives didn't matter anyway. If normal people, act like normal people ... gay people are rather condescending towards them ... and may just express indifference to who 'they' are and what 'they' think.

But, you are right. Lives have been ruined. I'm certain family members and loved ones are in true mourning. If you've never lost someone dear to you, it's hard to fathom the human understanding of loss.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

As far as I am concerned, we lost 50 American citizens to a Muslim terror attack.

As far as other people seem to be concerned, we lost 50 gays to Christian hate speech.

I am not sure where this narrative went wrong, but it did. I have every sympathy for the first narrative and little sympathy for the second as the second is an outright fabrication.

I understand and sympathize with the need to feel like everyone feels bad with you. I can respect the hurt you feel when you find out that some people are less than sympathetic, even hateful about things. This same thing happened after 9/11 when our own started blaming us for what happened, calling us "Little Eichmanns" and the like almost before the smoke had cleared. It ticks you off.

But lashing out an entire group of people, many of whom are trying to show sympathy and such support as they can does nothing but divide and alienate us further.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I've seen ONE preacher talk about it. So maybe before you go making generalizations, how about you look around and see the outpouring of affection and love from every group instead of the one or two that are being # heads

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If you haven't already figured out through reading my posts, I am gay. I was also raised in a very Catholic family. So there are times when I feel torn between the faith I was born and raised in and who I am. I get that faith means wanting to please God. I also know that pleasing God entails being compassionate to fellow man. But at the end of the day, we are all just people.

Have you Christians forgotten the story of the good Samaritan? This is a story that as children was told to us over and over about how Jesus taught us to be kind to one another. The hatred I see for the victims of the Orlando tragedy coming from people of faith dismays me greatly. We all walk the path in life that was chosen for us. We do our best, faults and all. As straight Christians none of you are without sin. So why are you casting stones at us in this time of great loss and grief?

Luke 10:25-37New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Samaritans and Jews hated one another, yet it was an enemy who helped the Jew out while his fellow Jews left him there to die. It is acts of compassion and humanity that define people as Christian. This teaching says it right here.

Im a conservative christian gun ownin Obama hating dude. That being said I have no problem with gay people. I have no problem with them getting married, I have family that are gay and even though they are atheist left wing nuts I still love and respect their sexuality.

When Orlando happened I was just as sad, frustrated, and angry as I would have been if the venue and the victims been anyone else. (Well to be honest shooting up a elementary school full of kids may have registered higher but I think that's understandable)

The only thing I don't like is when a gay couple want's a devote christian business owner to compromise their christian values in order to perform a service related to marriage.

Other then the above I have no issue's and your "broad Brush" generalization should be looked at my friend.

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

I've seen ONE preacher talk about it. So maybe before you go making generalizations, how about you look around and see the outpouring of affection and love from every group instead of the one or two that are being # heads

There's more than one. That's all I'm gonna say.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

edit on 15-6-2016 by breakingbs because: nee

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: breakingbs

there;s this pastor in sacramento praising the slaughter of gays...here is a quote]]

"Are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today?" asked Jimenez. "Um no. I think that’s great. I think that helps society. I think Orlando, Florida, is a little safer tonight. The tragedy is that more of them didn’t die. The tragedy is I’m kind of upset he didn’t finish the job – because these people are predators. They are abusers."

"I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put the firing squad in front of them and blow their brains out," Jimenez said.

what a horrible thing to say....the hate has to stop

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

edit on 15-6-2016 by breakingbs because: ne

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Okay but who is the majority? The majority love and support. You focus on the bad, that is no one's fault but your own.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm sure it was only atheists who lined up to donate blood.

I'm sure that was the only atheist Chick-fil-A in the country who opened on Sunday (something the company NEVER does) to feed the first responders and blood donors waiting.

I'm sure no one who claims the faith cares at all that 50 people died.

Do you know that Gay people who wanted to donate blood to help their brethren in this time were denied the right?

We are not even allowed to help ourselves.

edition.cnn.com...

There were legitimate health reasons that there was a lifetime ban on gay men donating blood in the 80s, due to HIV transmission.

That ban has been lifted. But there are still health concerns. They were not denied any right.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Right-wing Christians are two faced, double-standard, conniving little critters you'll ever face.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

edit on 15-6-2016 by breakingbs because: nee

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

There's more than one. That's all I'm gonna say.

Yes... two is more than one.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

It just so happens that this week, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) is holding its Annual Meeting in St. Louis, Missouri. As a congregationalist denomination, the annual meeting consists of thousands of “messengers” from the Convention’s autonomous churches who gather to discuss the future of the SBC. On Tuesday, their first order of business was to respond to the Orlando shooting. The proposed resolution, Resolution 1, refers to the “tragic deaths of at least fifty” and calls upon messengers to pray, extend love and compassion to those devastated by the tragedy, donate blood, and “regard those affected by this tragedy as fellow image-bearers of God and our neighbors.”

Southern Baptist Convention

To be sure the author goes on to state the beliefs of Southern Baptists but it seems to me the person is simply trying to discredit them.

As for me...I have no affiliation to any religion....just remember this from local news.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Hey, as a Pentecostal . . .

I'm fully behind Milo Y's assertions about the whole thing.

Particularly about armed folks are likely NOT victims.

And I love his IN-YOUR-FACE-TRUTH-TELLING style.

And I fiercely stand against such violence against gays or anyone else who wishes to live constructively in harmony with society generally. i.e. not Jihadi's.

edit on 15/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: left word out

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: mekhanics

I hope you aren't holding that rant out as

any

sort of empirically derived objective set of "facts."

As an emotional, off the wall, full of bias rant . . . I'd give it about a C+ grade.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join