It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going to Portland, Oregon and the Coast in August - Any Suggestions? Any ATS-ers to Visit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I am going to Portland, Oregon in August. There's a conference I am attending in mid-August, and I would like to spend some time before and/or afterwards to visit the sea.

I was to travel with my sweetheart, but he recently passed away, and now I face the daunting and sad task of traveling alone to a place we had plans to go together to. Forgive me, as I'm inconsolable at the moment as I type this.

I am not a big fan of cities, and although I will be downtown for the conference, I don't wish to spend my extra days there, but want to drive to the ocean. All I want to do is see and experience beautiful places that are nearby, nature, vistas, beauty.

I am spiritual, am interested in Native American sacred sites, meditation, walks, organic food.

First, if you have ideas or suggestions on what to see/do or avoid, please let me know. What are the natural, outdoor must see's? What are the "power places" from a mystical perspective? What might just be fun and cheer me up there?

Second, if there are any ATSers in the area there that would like to meet for a cup of coffee, wine or organic meal, it would be a welcome respite and nice. I know that I will miss my sweetheart all the more when I go, as we were looking forward to going together.

Thank you,
Galadriel

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Galadriel

It's about an hour to the coast and Cannon Beach.

Very nice beach and 'Haystack Rock' which appears in "The Goonies" 😄

Couple good lunch places nearby.

Take a jacket... It was colder than I expected that day.

The drive out and back is really beautiful too and kinda fun.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Thanks Urantia1111 --
My hope is to spend as much time at the coast or other beauty spots within a reasonable distance of Portland.

Are you one who sees 11:11 ? just curious, as it is in your avatar name.

_Galadriel

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Did the 101 last year with the wife. Depoe Bay is awsome. Went wale watching on a zodiac skiff off the coast. Also took an open cockpit biplane ride up and down part of the coast. The redwoods of course.

It is a killer roadtrip.
edit on 27-3-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Thanks Smirkley,
I think whale watching needs to be on my list. I've never seen a whale at sea. It must be magnificent.

The 101 sounds magical. The pics I've seen remind me of my beloved Ireland.

Thanks much.

--Galadriel

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

If you're in Portland and you like breakfast food then you have to go to The Original Pancake House.

> Address: 8601 SW 24th Ave, Portland, OR 97219

I recommend the apple pancake, though just about everything there is good. If you go on a weekend then be prepared for a wait.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hi! I'm moving to Portland in 8 days & im terribly excited about it. I'm also very into Native American spirituality & related things; I'll bookmark this thread & make some notes on potential explorations.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BigScaryStrawman

The west is wonderful that way I have found. Been out here 10 years, and I am always finding something new to explore or do.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

OMSI. Great museum, and a lot of hands on type things to do there. I had a blast when I went.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yes, watch a few episodes of Portlandia, then see about checking out Seattle instead.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Don't forget Voodoo Donuts!

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Go to the Edgefield, in Troutdale, just East of Portland 7 miles or so, you won't be disappointed, I promise.
edit on 27-3-2016 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
when you say "power places" what comes to mind for me immediately is the Vietnam veterans memorial by the zoo, andersonkrygier.com...
beautiful place, must see. culturaloregon.com...
it is also very near to the rose garden (the actual garden, not the coliseum,) which is adjacent to the Japanese gardens, those are both also must see places.
after that take a drive along the most scenic road in the portland metro area, skyline drive, its also the best way to get to skyline memorial gardens, i have many family members buried there as it is considered one of the most scenic and beautiful places in the metro area, i suggest this route for that tour. goo.gl... that route will also take you right through Mount Calvary cemetery which has many people from the 1800s in it, very beautiful place also, its in fact where the picture in my avatar was taken. goo.gl...

its also pretty convenient to get back to us-26 from there which takes you right to the coast

alot of people tell me im morbid cause i like those two cemeteries, but its nothing like that, i just know no more a serene and beautiful location in the whole of the portland metro area, and i lived there over 2 decades.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yes quite a bit.

Not so much just lately but many many times for several years. Too often to mean nothing.

Always wondering what it's for.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

i used to see 11 alot too, think what i concluded in research was that it symbolized reflection, to know thyself so to speak, i also noticed after i came to that realization i seen it less and less as the years went by

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sooth

Hi Sooth, thank you for that - it sounds like a great place to rise and shine.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BigScaryStrawman

Hi BigSS, how exciting that you are moving there. I often thought it was a cool city to find a job in and move to. Heard good things about it. Is a new job taking you there?

Since you'll actually be a resident soon, maybe you can come back to this thread in the months ahead and share some ideas of places you've discovered there. Or private message me in the future with your ideas for my visit there.

Thanks -
Galadriel

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

thank you! It might be a good thing to visit if it rains, and I hear it does that quite often.

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

thank you PryingOpen3rdeye (have you been successful in prying it open??)
I am not sure a cemetery will be the place for me to go, as I just lost my sweetheart this past week and he was to join me on this trip. Might be too painful. But it sounds like a lovely place, for sure.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 27 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

i can understand that, everyone morns in their own way, personally i found the places helpful for that but thats just me. settle at least for a picture of the view from skyline static.panoramio.com...

alright well cutting the last two out at least check out the Vietnam memorial and the rose garden and Japanese garden beautiful places.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join