It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury Awards Hulk Hogan $115 million In Gawker Sex Tape Trial!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm kind of glad. Gawker always came across as a sleazy site that would do anything to drag a celebrity through the mud. Founder Nick Denton came across as particularly sleazy during the trial. He said they will appeal the verdict. Didn't see that coming.

Hogan brought the case three years ago after witnessing how Gawker, a 13-year-old digital news site founded by Nick Denton, an entrepreneur with an allergy to celebrity privacy, published a video he claimed was secretly recorded. The sex tape was sensational, showing the wrestler whose real name is Terry Bollea having a sexual relationship with the then-wife of his best friend, a radio shock jock known as Bubba the Love Sponge. Gawker's posting of the Hogan sex tape was accompanied by an essay from A.J. Daulerio about celebrity sex and a vivid play-by-play of the encounter between Hogan and Heather Cole.

In an era when digital networks have reshaped culture, raising tough questions about sharing and prying in society, the jury got to hear two weeks of testimony in a first-of-its-kind sex tape case where discussions of newsworthiness and decency dominated.

Hollywood Reporter
edit on 18-3-2016 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

After all is said and done (which could be years), I wonder if Gawker survives this?

Side note: Between the Huckster and Erin Andrews, these celebrities are cashing in big time!
edit on 18-3-2016 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow, it must be a $115 million industry.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Wow, it must be a $115 million industry.

I'm not sure how much Gawker and all of it's sites are worth. We all know how much these lawsuits get inflated when it comes to damages awarded.

Found this info with a quick search on wikipedia:

n an article in the February 20, 2006, issue of New York Magazine, Jossip founder David Hauslaib estimated Gawker.com's annual advertising revenue to be at least $1 million, and possibly over $2 million a year.[4] Combined with low operating costs—mostly web hosting fees and writer salaries—Denton was believed to be turning a healthy profit by 2006.[5] In 2009, the corporation was estimated to be worth $300 million, with $60 million in advertising revenues and more than $30 million in operating profit.[2]

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
I wonder if Gawker survives this?

Likely not. They report about $7 mil in profits off an annual revenue of $40 mil. Between the systemic changes they will have to make to make sure they don't get sued again, lost ad revenue from companies that don't want to associate with their brand any further, last year's unionization of their staff, and a judgement that equals 16+ years worth of profits... bankruptcy filing is probably right around the corner.

Good riddance to these dumpster diving asshats.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I believe he was asking for $100 million, so the fact they came back with a greater sum is really interesting.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Watchu gonna do, when Hulkamania runs wild on you, Brother.
edit on 18-3-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I believe he was asking for $100 million, so the fact they came back with a greater sum is really interesting.

How interesting!

Some times they buy them out, to eradicate.
edit on 18/3/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I don't believe it helped Gawker's case any when they asked the editor what he felt would be off limits and he said maybe material on someone under 4.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I wonder how many guys would sleep with their best friends wife for $115 million?????

a reply to: jtrenthacker

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

It seems like when you're a celebrity you get the multi-million pay outs. I think the amounts are ridiculous! Nobody died! How many people who lost loved ones due to the fault of a car manufacturer or other corporate entity ever get awarded anything more than a few million?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The Fabulous Hulk Hogan's first major debut was against the the Million Dollar Man, and he won!!

edit on 18-3-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

It seems like when you're a celebrity you get the multi-million pay outs. I think the amounts are ridiculous! Nobody died! How many people who lost loved ones due to the fault of a car manufacturer or other corporate entity ever get awarded anything more than a few million?

The Hulkster lost a lot of money and a lot of work but maybe not to the tune of 115 million though...

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yeah...

Maybe he shouldn't have been so hung up on black people post coitus...
That was the final nail in the "jeez, I've called black people n!663rs on camera how many times now and I like it!" Hulk Hogan thing.

He'll always be banned from the "sports entertainment" that he was the Michael Jordan of in the 80's. And for good reason.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
"When it comes crashing down Gawker,and it hurts inside"..

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze
"When it comes crashing down Gawker,and it hurts inside"..

"...I'll complain about black people after sex...and any other time I think nobody is filming."

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Hulk can just take all the assets and turn Gawker into a wrestling channel.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
so, he isn`t denying that he had sex with his best friends wife he just thinks that he should be paid 115 million dollars for doing it,since he got caught.america is a mess.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I'm kind of glad.

Me too. I hate Gawker and especially Jezebel. Go there, read some of the comments and you will understand why I hate modern feminists. Actually, I don't think they're feminists, they're just see you next Tuesday's.

They got all pissy about "the fappening" and then proceed to do the exact same thing. It's OK, it was a white male, we don't matter.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The world is so #ed up.

Erin Andrews gets $55 million for being VICTIMIZED in her hotel room by a creeper and the incompetent hotel staff and has to settle for a lesser amount to boot, but nasty-ass has-been Hulk Hogan - fake wrestler and reality TV whore - gets $115 million?

No sex tape is worth $115 million dollars. Hell, his 15 minutes was getting milked for overtime anyways. Somehow, I can't help but think he's not too broken up by the "violation" of his privacy.

America 2016....I hate you.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
News has it that Gawker is officially on finacial suicide watch after this verdict.

edit on 19-3-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join