It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Fighting Mandatory Drug Tests – Claim it’s ‘Unconstitutional’ to Screen Police Urine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: intrepid

Yes, management...that goes without saying. Hell, drug test the city manager and city council too!

RIGHT! But they are the bosses. You think that's going to happen?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If I have to be tested, so should they. And yes... their management too. If they don't like it, they can go pound sand. Cops aren't special.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Bone75

I work in this industry and understand this well. There's levels to this. It can be used by management to potentially remove certain people. Thus the Union involvement. Ask them to test management as well as workers and I think you might find some resistance there.
It's a nasty industry.

If those certain people are under the influence of mind altering drugs while on duty, then they should be removed.

What about when not on duty? There are lingering tests. That's why I'm saying it doesn't happen because management would be as culpable. That said I'm in Canada and I'm talking about weed. Other intoxicants I have NO idea about.

I usually stick up for LEO's but not in this case!

People are denied jobs due to a positive of cannabis use. Police arrest people for testing positive for the use of ILLEGAL DRUGS!

How can anyone accept being incarcerated or fined by an individual who is guilty themselves of using the same drugs?

Keep in mind, these officers do work for the taxpayers.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Exhibit A. Rob Ford:

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Absolutely a flagrant violation of Constitutional Rights. Because to do so would mean they're not actually above the law. Test everyone in every job or no one at all. To pretend that a job like police officer shouldn't be screened is laughable.
edit on 8-12-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think we just need to legalize the bud Nation wide.

Good Lord, kids are getting killed because of this.

www.drugpolicy.org...

Then the police can consentrate on more important things.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm only talking about the herb and quite frankly many LEO's in Canada haven't agreed with the stance...FOREVER. This is SO old. Should have been solved in the 70's. Our judicial system is WAY behind our society.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I'm only talking about the herb and quite frankly many LEO's in Canada haven't agreed with the stance...FOREVER. This is SO old. Should have been solved in the 70's. Our judicial system is WAY behind our society.

I know you live in Canada, but regardless of what you hear about the US and it's relaxing policy on MJ? Don't believe it! If you don't use your turn signal, and a passenger in the car has a small amount in their pocket?

MONEY! CHA CHING!

That is the main reason, I feel the way I do about this OP. I don't hate cops, but if a person flipping burgers needs to pass a drug test? Why is it wrong to request a government employee with a gun and the authorization to use it not have to take the same test?

That's all! No hating on police here, just some common sense and fairness.....

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

We can thank Nancy for that.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ooh, welcome to the party, Mr. Policeman.

Pure anxiety and panic, as you scan the internet for a viable solution, after a harmless weekend bonfire.

I am for testing the PD, but mj should be excluded, except high amounts via mouth testing, showing recent use, if it looks like it's becoming an issue.

I don't mind the light duty extra circular activities, but don't show up baked operating machinery and firearms, and be expected to make fast, high-stress decisions.
edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: ipadedit

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I totally agree. I'm just pointing out the crap that goes on between management and workers. It's a snakepit.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The police do not write the law, their job is simply to enforce it. Let's not get too full of ourselves and think Officer Smith personally gives a rat's ass if someone takes a piss test or not, he probably doesn't... but he's required by his job to see to it that one is taken. It's called "doing your job." Then again, police seem like they're fair game these days for all manner of bitchy citizen butthurt, so I'm not surprised to see most commenting are treating the police as if they had anything to do with the policies requiring arrestees be tested.

I think you're confused. This isn't about drug testing people getting arrested. This is about the cops themselves crying foul when it comes to them getting drug tested. It's one of the most in your face double standards you could possibly have.

Drug test everyone else, even some nobody wanting a job pushing a broom but not the people who are supposed to be upholding the law and are legally armed and dangerous!!! WTF???

If you can't see the hypocrisy in that I don't know what to say.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Many people now sign agreements to be tested now. That's different.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Should test for impairment at all levels. Forget the specifics.

Of course how do you test for 'rage-a-holic' impairment? How do you test for 'elitist' impairment?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I don't hate cops, but if a person flipping burgers needs to pass a drug test? Why is it wrong to request a government employee with a gun and the authorization to use it not have to take the same test?

But cops lives and jobs are so much more stressful then everyone elses. So they should get more leeway to get high for stress relief. And they need to be strong to do their jobs right? so they have to take steroids. You know because the bad guys are taking them so they have an advantage.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The hypocrisy is in the politicians and judges not being tested. Cops are simply doing their jobs (and, apparently, part of that job is now serving as the meat shield for those who should really be the targets of criticism and circumspection: the law makers.)

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Well I am in America and when I worked for a company that was under government contract, I had to pass drug tests as well. And that includes any I did on my off time. It should be no different for the police.

If a drug is illegal it is illegal.You shouldn't be doing it on duty or off duty. Plain and simple. If you want to go up the chain of command and have them tested as well,sure no problem. But here in Missouri,you can't go and smoke a joint or two on your weekend,then go to work the next week without fear of the company pulling a random drug test on you.

Why if the police are 'upholding the law' would they not be subject to the same law? And I think at least half of them that get into trouble with abusing people ARE on steroids.They are all hyped up and aggressive as hell.Lets find out for sure and start getting rid of them.You can't pass a drug test,you don't get to work.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I worked at a place that was a training store for a large company.

They test before you get hired and test once a year in that location.

Two days after test day, we lost 2 managers and 3 associates.

How Sad. They were good employee's and good people.

It really pissed me off.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Where were these jagaloons when people were pounding their fists to test welfare recipients for drugs? That was a total failure, financially speaking.

Bottom line, we the public, pay these people and allow them the discretion to kill; shouldn't mandatory drug testing already be ordinary operating procedure?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Many people now sign agreements to be tested now. That's different.

Ok, I'm not sure if I understand your point in pointing that out though.

What I'm saying is there is no reason at all that cops should be exempt from a drug test. Especially the way things are now. If there is any job that needs to verify that the people doing that job are clear headed and not under the influence it's LEO.

The fact that they're out busting people every day for drugs and giving them sh*t about using and then turning around and crying foul when it comes time for them to get tested is a joke, period. If they haven't been using then they have nothing to worry about, right???

They don't want to take one because THEY WON'T PASS IT!!!! This isn't a mystery.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join