It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Fighting Mandatory Drug Tests – Claim it’s ‘Unconstitutional’ to Screen Police Urine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Civil Rights Violation to drug test cops.... right. Illegal Search and Seizure they call it.

Well, Join the rest of America and take your damn drug test when asked! I sure as hell had to many times both in and out of the military. Why are they all panicked I wonder?

www.blacklistednews.com... ne/47696/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Published: December 8, 2015

In an unprecedented protest against the routine offenses against due process and bodily integrity carried out in the name of the “war on drugs,” the union representing Pittsburgh police officers has condemned workplace drug and alcohol testing as a violation of the Constitution. Their zeal for the right to privacy only applies to themselves, however, not to the public they supposedly serve.

NBC affiliate WPXI reports that the Pittsburgh Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police “has filed a civil rights grievance against the city, claiming officers have been order to undergo drug and alcohol testing that is in violation of their contract.” Union attorney Bryan Campbell describes the policy as “an illegal search and seizure.”

To which those not protected by Blue Privilege might respond: Welcome to our world, FOP.

Another blatantly obvious reason for police opposing public scutiny of their urine is that it could reveal the usage of such things as anabolic steroids. Police officers are no stranger to ‘Vitamin S’ as many of them have not only been caught using the rage-inducing hormones, but selling them as well.

Video at link
www.wpxi.com...

Pittsburgh police union files civil rights grievance over officer drug, alcohol testing
PITTSBURGH —

The union representing Pittsburgh police officers has filed a civil rights grievance against the city, claiming officers have been ordered to undergo drug and alcohol testing that is in violation of their contract.

The union tells Channel 11’s Rick Earle that the testing amounts to an illegal search and seizure that is not only in violation of the contract, but the Constitution as well.

“I don't know why the city suddenly changed the policy on this, and it's our position that this is an illegal search and seizure,” Bryan Campbell, an attorney representing the union, said.

According to the contract, tests are only allowed under three circumstances: If an officer is suspected of being under the influence while on the job, fires a weapon or is involved in a vehicle crash.

Sources tell Target 11 that an officer who was involved in a chase and crash last week on Baum Boulevard was ordered to submit to testing, even though he was not directly involved in the crash.

Another officer, from Zone 2 in the Hill District, who began a chase but then terminated was also sent for testing.

“They don't forfeit their constitutional rights to protect the city from a civil liability,” Campbell said.

Pittsburgh Police Chief Cameron McLay contends that the contract allows him to test officers involved in pursuits, regardless of whether they are directly involved in a crash.

“The reality is I consider us to have been involved,” McLay said. “We are going to interpret that policy as I believe it was intended and protect the officers, as well as the community, by verifying that the officer wasn't impaired.”

The complaint has been sent for review to the law department, which could force the police department to stop testing. If it does not, the complaint will go to arbitration.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I work in this industry and understand this well. There's levels to this. It can be used by management to potentially remove certain people. Thus the Union involvement. Ask them to test management as well as workers and I think you might find some resistance there.
It's a nasty industry.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow...course the government doesn't have to use Obama care either...laws are for the trash...that's us. What's funny is they managed to get us all arguing with each other over the right and wrong of it all.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I better watch it though...using the 1st amendment these days may lose you your 2nd and perhaps a couple others. Thank gawd obammy is here to not protect the Constitution with Hillary square on his heals

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Test em for steroids while you are at it too!

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

All police in that Union should be drug tested tomorrow during work hours and the results posted on NBC Nightly News (they need the ratings more than Fox).

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Definitely roids amen there

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

All police in that Union should be drug tested tomorrow during work hours and the results posted on NBC Nightly News (they need the ratings more than Fox).

AND management. That's the buggaboo.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm actually laughing so hard at the irony right now that....I Just Can't!!!!!

Are you freaking kidding me?

LOL!

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I bet the same group would say to some citizen, "Why would you not take a drug test if you don't do drugs".

OK for other workers but not the police.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Test em for steroids while you are at it too!

Steroids you say?

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

So this is just a hit piece on cops and you really don't want to know anything more than you already do? Why not just say that? I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to inform you. Information seems to be the last thing wanted here.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The police do not write the law, their job is simply to enforce it. Let's not get too full of ourselves and think Officer Smith personally gives a rat's ass if someone takes a piss test or not, he probably doesn't... but he's required by his job to see to it that one is taken. It's called "doing your job." Then again, police seem like they're fair game these days for all manner of bitchy citizen butthurt, so I'm not surprised to see most commenting are treating the police as if they had anything to do with the policies requiring arrestees be tested.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Especially when said information falls outside the victim mentality narrative.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I work in this industry and understand this well. There's levels to this. It can be used by management to potentially remove certain people. Thus the Union involvement. Ask them to test management as well as workers and I think you might find some resistance there.
It's a nasty industry.

If those certain people are under the influence of mind altering drugs while on duty, then they should be removed.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Too funny.....this reminds of those detectives that complained about their privacy after they were caught eating the evidence on the hidden camera in that bust of the medical marijuana dispensary......

All I have to say is suck it up you deserve to be tested and scrutinized just like the rest of us.....
edit on 8-12-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: I'm going to throw this damn iPad out the window

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If they came out and said we aren't testing for Marijuana, I bet many against it, wouldn't have a problem about it.

Might be as simple as that, I'm not sure I buy this " policing the police " issue, if you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to fear and would be happy to get rid of the " riffraff ". We all have rights, but we don't have the right to get paid by another entity to perform a task at an impaired judgement.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Good stuff there.

I get tested to work. People get tested to get hired, people get tested for government assistance, everybody cheers!

When it comes to cops being tested, oh boy... I enjoy seeing all of these cops and their supporters attempt to exercise the same rights they deny us on the daily. If it were up to me, I would tell them "Okay, no drug tests for you on the condition that you no longer enforce laws regarding MJ.. " Then everybody wins right?

Wouldn't that be great?

Oh wait, I forgot that would just be giving cops a green light to keep calm and rage on.... Maybe not such a good idea.

On second thought, DT all of them. Even if they fail, you know it's just a paid vacation, and trip to rehab at the expense of the taxpayer, not to mention we pay for the analysis, and probably pay for the drugs they do together.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: intrepid
It's a nasty industry.

If those certain people are under the influence of mind altering drugs while on duty, then they should be removed.

What about when not on duty? There are lingering tests. That's why I'm saying it doesn't happen because management would be as culpable. That said I'm in Canada and I'm talking about weed. Other intoxicants I have NO idea about.

posted on Dec, 8 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yes, management...that goes without saying. Hell, drug test the city manager and city council too!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join