It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberty University president urges students to carry guns, ‘end those Muslims’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Totally. The choice between an untrained armed populace and an increasingly militarized authority presence is a pretty lame dilemma.

All I know is that I would be riddled with anxiety if I knew that every one of my classmates were accessorizing their winter wear with firearms but I would feel rather secure if there were security measures in place at the entrances.

To me it is simple: would I rather have 15 unpredictable people ensuring my safety or one professionally-trained person doing it as an actual job? I come across too many men who I wouldn't trust with a letter opener, let alone a hand gun.

There has to be a decent middle ground there somewhere.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
O man, some of you posters here should be ashamed yourselves...!!Ha Ha...

I hope none of you nay sayers really think gun control is even logical....Is that the problem in this world lately? Some have lost all the good sense God gave them.

I've feel led to be the one to step up and say, you don't want to be the kind of person that is known to be unencumbered by the thought process.

This is serious stuff, straighten up and fly right, please.
make me proud of ya!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

He died to pay the price for sin

Because he loved us, right?

If that is true, your original assertion is false.

No, it isn't. We are not God. Our dying because some jerk wants t kill people doesn't take away anyone's sins.

You are being deliberately obtuse, and throwing around straw men here. Don't expect further responses.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

The other side of that coin is that we all get used to armored armed guards/police/military with big guns everywhere, which we also decry as another thing we have an issue with...the militarization of the country and that concerns us too.

True but when there is an increasing enemy and an enemy from within that hates the west and did well before Iraq and Afghanistan I don`t blame people wanting to protect themselves either from them or from armed criminals. Yep mistakes and knee jerk reactions bad decisions will happen as a consequence as it does already.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
I have a very good understanding of the bible. I also understand western Christians and I appreciate their ability to water down their own texts and read it in a way they can practice it peacefully (most of them). I don't say that facetiously; I'm totally serious when I say I am thankful for that.

Every post you make shows that isn't the case. What I believe isn't some "watered down" version of the Bible at all. What I believe is based on understanding what the Bible is really about, not picking and choosing this or that to support a position.

originally posted by: Abysha
In despotic Christian nations, they do practice it in the same way a "radical" Muslim practices their religion. The Lords Army? The Croatian genocide? The numerous stonings and beheadings in Africa of non-Christians. And even here not so long ago, we had the Klu Klux Klan merrily lynching fellow Americans and hanging them in trees because of some interpretation of the "Mark of Cain" (which is also why the church supported Jim Crow for so long).

If you want to discuss specific cases of that sort, make a thread for it. This one is about a guy at a university telling students they should arm themselves and be prepared to defend against attack. If you post such a thread, feel free to PM be about it, so I can comment.

The topic here is students and self defense, and you want to pretend that means Christians defending theselves are the same as Muslim terrorists. Enough. The feeding station here is closed.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

I live in WA. It's maybe $65, a form, your fingerprints and depending on what county you live in can take UP to a month (no longer). I don't entirely agree with it, but there you go.

I think people should have to pass a written exam, and be able to demonstrate at least basic competence at a range. I get the arguments against that, increased cost, poor people (those who are more likely victims anyway) have a hard time getting time off/paying, a threat can pop up overnight (happened to me) and you don't have months or even days to wait to be able to adequately defend yourself, etc... You don't need to be a sharp shooter or an armorer, but some basic understanding seems completely fair to me for a CPL.

If you remove the background check portion it IS easier to get a gun where I live than a driver's license, and that seems off to me.

Kinda think "In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob should be mandatory reading too.

I think we all need to understand that both sides aren't trying to be malicious. We all want pretty much the same things, we just disagree on how we go about getting them.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Every post you make shows that isn't the case. What I believe isn't some "watered down" version of the Bible at all. What I believe is based on understanding what the Bible is really about, not picking and choosing this or that to support a position.

That is exactly what a moderate Muslim would say about their Koran. They use discernment, just like you, to practice their faith in a way that is not so incompatible with society.

And, unlike you and some of our Muslim members here, extremists of both religions take their religion literally. Which is why they are dangerous.

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
The topic here is students and self defense, and you want to pretend that means Christians defending theselves are the same as Muslim terrorists. Enough. The feeding station here is closed.

You know I never compared terrorists with these students. My original entry into this thread was lamenting the perverse intermingling of a "peaceful" religion with an obsession over guns and delusions of Red Dawn. It is a dangerous connection and, outside of American politics, sounds completely bizarre.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Then it was a poor choice of words which I am sure was caused, with reason, by current events. With that in mind those kids are in more danger of one of their own students or former students coming back and shooting the place up.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: alienjuggalo

I know I feel safer knowing everyone is armed than the alternative of only bad people having guns. Crime would rarely occur if everyone was armed.

You may 'feel' safer if everyone is armed but that doesn't mean that you are. The evidence from many other countries would disprove that assumption.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: Metallicus

I know I feel safer knowing everyone is armed than the alternative of only bad people having guns. Crime would rarely occur if everyone was armed.

You may 'feel' safer if everyone is armed but that doesn't mean that you are. The evidence from many other countries would disprove that assumption.

I cannot for the life of me understand how a person feels safer knowing that everyone around them is armed with a firearm..... Maybe it is because there are so many unstable and bad people in the U.S....if that is the case I am really happy I do not live there.....

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I cannot for the life of me understand how a person feels safer knowing that everyone around them is armed with a firearm..... Maybe it is because there are so many unstable and bad people in the U.S....if that is the case I am really happy I do not live there.....

Well it shouldn`t be hard to imagine bad or unstable people with easy acquired guns target gun free zones or soft targets.

I`m in Australia and for the most part we live oblivious to firearm problems, but there maybe a time in the future when Australians will regret handing over most of our guns and Americans will rightly say "we told you so".

So I have to put my own feet in the shoes of an American and when I do I understand their need and right for protection.

I can wish for no wars bombs and nukes but the reality is this place is dangerous, being prepared is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: gps777

I too am in OZ....I have to disagree ....plenty of guns here bud we simply had to hand in auto and semi auto weapons and most hand guns...... There are oodles of shot guns,rifles and who knows what else that are still legally owned s long as they are locked away safely when not in use..... You can also bet your bottom dollar a lot of guns were buried ready for a rainy day......

I would be more worried about our critters than guns....hell the brown snake I saw yesterday in my driveway is of more concern...mostly to my dog but it still made me stop an remember to be respectful

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I was going to say something along the lines of how those were some extremely poor chosen words, but then I noticed that this is coming from a town called "Lynchburg."

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The Liberty University President has a point about protection, but I stopped at grouping Muslims. Shouldn't it be any attacker in regards and in action, as opposed to grouping up a threat even though they have not acted?

You're safer with a firearm than without considering situations. Two examples reflecting the prior conversations;

In the US and if you have to live in one of the more dangerous cities: It's not that there's loads and loads of unstable citizens but our population of 321 million+ does not compare to Australia's 22,751,000 million + nor does the crime from rough areas to cartels and our Southern boarder(which the Feds made that situation worse off).

Live out in the country wilderness in any area surrounded by bears, wolves, moose, etc. Which may be in somewhat comparable to Australia;

Australia is one of the world’s most urbanized countries. Only about 15 per cent of Australia’s people live in rural areas.

Source
One can assume that in those rural areas which have potentially dangerous wilfelife, firearm ownership is more prevalent.

28.8 percent of Americans live in rural areas or

Source

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I don't think that is what was said at all.

As an independent agnostic(best generic description for the masses), I have no horse in this race. I think religion is the root of most problems in the world today. Nothing wrong with being religious or spiritual, but RELIGION is a PROBLEM.

That being said, I do think there is an engineered war against Christianity and Islam taking place right now.

So there is nothing wrong with a Christian University wanting to take precautions against a plausible future threat.

Terrorists LOVE soft targets. A University full of armed students is the opposite of a soft target.

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

So let's throw gas on the fire?

I suppose it would make the Muslims mad, but we have to protect ourselves, where our government can't. Besides Muslims have lost their focus...we have concentration camps for that.

edit on 9-12-2015 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well this thread has been thoroughly enlightening.

Sure has been interesting watching the Christianphobes trying to lecture the Islamophobes.

Can I get a which evil right winger clinging to their guns and religion do you like better Amen?
edit on 9-12-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

Yes... I want any and every American to be able to protect themselves at all times..

...even Muslim Americans?

What about Right-wing Americans, Left-wing Americans, Gang Members, Paedophiles, Rapists, Children, the mentally disabled, the criminally-minded, the ...?

Any and every American, huh?

Supporting this, you support fear, paranoia, intolerance and things un-American, or so I've been led to believe. Maybe being American and following 'the American Way' has changed now?

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What an insane idea -
Expecting college students to act like responsible adults and exercise their Constitutional rights.
Wouldn't a concealed carry class get in the way of beer bongs, sorority hazings and football games?

Maybe so many college kids party away their prime years because we expect little more from them.
People who chose concealed carry know the great responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm.
No, it's not too much to expect from college aged young adults.
Call them kids and they act like it.
Put them in Army uniforms and suddenly they're adults.
CCP is a similar way to expect adult behaviors.

In a world where the government cannot possibly protect us then we must protect ourselves.
Anyone who wants to argue that point is asking the victim to hold still for the blade.
I would count them among my enemies.
edit on 11-12-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join