It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
He has stated that meeting the pope was a dream of his.

Maybe he held out this long just to meet pop.

or maybe this meeting led to some serious soul searching

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Yep!

Kinda hard to keep up appearances after having stood in the presence of one's hero... the next best thing to the main man himself

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm not convinced. I've been following this shutdown controversy for a little while. Boehner has been especially exasperated with the rest of the GOP and has been pleading with them to not shut the government down over planned parenthood. Plus I've been reading rumblings of rumors that he was going to step down or be replaced soon.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
He has stated that meeting the pope was a dream of his.

Maybe he held out this long just to meet pop.

I think you're definitely right on this.
I wonder if he had confession with the Pope.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I would hazard a guess he has reflected on the resignation for a while and earmarked the popes visit as his swan song exit.

There was too much going on yesterday to be moved to step down in a day after meeting the 'ol cutie papa.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

At least he'll always have the video evidence that he was with the Pope, and touched the Pope, and spoke to the Pope.

For a dream fulfilled, I can see those being precious tapes.

Actually, my respect for him has now gone from ZERO to.......THREE. On a scale of 1-20.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Yea, I think this is the likely case as well. Boehner has probably been thinking for a while now that the GOP is going in a direction that he cannot follow.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

No.

John Boehner's stepping down has everything to do with the pressure put on him to defund PP. FreedomWorks took up a fundraising campaign specifically to obtain his resignation.

Fake videos? Whatever helps you sleep at night. As for me, I don't feel women's health has been hampered by their having to pay for their own sexual actions, their own birth control, etc. I can name 100 women I personally know who managed to get through life without PP or women's health assistance, having paid out of their own pockets for all services rendered in their healthcare, with or without helth insurance copays.

Mr. Boehner crying in the Pope's presence is nauseating.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

There shouldn't even be a question on this. Killing LIVE babies is murder and, in my mind, an entire separate issue than a woman's right to abort life.

How can something that is part of the woman be a separate issue?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

At least he'll always have the video evidence that he was with the Pope, and touched the Pope, and spoke to the Pope.

For a dream fulfilled, I can see those being precious tapes.

Actually, my respect for him has now gone from ZERO to.......THREE. On a scale of 1-20.

I actually feel kind of sorry for him looking at this situation. Boehner is one of the last true Conservatives. Someone who understood that Conservative doesn't mean EXACT opposite of liberal but has nuanced opinions that sometimes may coincide with the left. Someone who had the capability to reach out across the aisle on things he disagreed with to find compromise. Sure he wasn't perfect and he's see the fair share of my ire, but look what is going to replace him. Someone very likely MORE confrontational.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

meah Im not going to engage this poster anymore . These fat old men in congress don't come anywhere near me and my uterus or my health. If they do, they'll have a fight on their hands. I can't convince someone on ATS that providing women's health is isn't a pick and choose scenario based on your religion.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Fake videos? Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The videos were proven to be fake but whatever helps you sleep at night.

I can name 100 women I personally know who managed to get through life without PP or women's health assistance, having paid out of their own pockets for all services rendered in their healthcare, with or without helth insurance copays.

So just because you know omen that don't need PP it;'s that way for all women? Talk about having a limited view of the population of women in America.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It may well simply be grandstanding . It might be for all the reasons you suggest but he may couch it in terms of being inspired by the Pope and his faith.

Knowng he wasn't wanted or respected as Speaker, he also could have been making a behind the scenes bid to leave government for some private work within the Catholic faith. Like president of a university or a charity. And seeming to give up power because of your faith is great theater. We'll see.
edit on 9/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

WOW! You know 100 women that don't need Planned Parenthood. Well that cinches it! Clearly those 100 women are indicative of every woman in the country along with each their circumstances. They don't need Planned Parenthood, so clearly all other women don't need it.

Oh wait, that was a personal anecdote and means nothing.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The Pope just finished his address before the U.N.
Boehner, should be ready to speak...Let's watch.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Oh I'm sure he is going to release some public approved reason for why he is stepping down, but these are my beliefs for his secret reasons.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Really? PM me for the answer, if you must. Boehner is the subject matter here.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Women better beware if that idiot Louie Gohmert takes over. If he has his way women will be barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen where they belong.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
CNN is saying Keven McCarthy is possible.

edit on 9/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think he sees the writing on the wall. There is an internal war going on between the Libertarian/Tea Party conservatives and the establishment Republicans. Many see Boehner and McConnell as just pawns of the Democrats. They claim they are conservative, but then refuse to actual fight.

It was summed up best that the establishment GOP rather lose to Democrats than to the anti-establishment faction of the GOP. If they lose to the Democrats, they can maintain their jobs and power. They lose to the anti-establishment wing, they know they are out of a job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join