It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Boehner Announces Resignation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks Kanga, I'll look into them.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Kevin McCarthy to replace Boehner?

Here’s Boehner’s most likely replacement

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is the likely leading contender to replace outgoing House Speaker John Boehner, Republican Representative Peter King told Reuters on Friday following Boehner's resignation announcement.

King made his remarks after leaving the closed door meeting at which he said Boehner surprised the entire rank and file, including McCarthy, with his announcement.

Asked why he was resigning, King said it was "to avoid putting the party through tumult." Boehner repeatedly over the past five years has been challenged by small-government Tea Party activists and other conservatives who have demanded a more confrontational approach by the speaker with President Barack Obama and Democrats in Congress.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Seems to me like his guilty conscience finally smacked him. Or yeah, maybe he's just tired of trying to stop the GOP implosion.

Bittersweet, but I figured the Republicans would come unglued after the mid-terms.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: Gothmog

No it is what it is. The Republicans are desperately trying to defund a much needed women's health service. You keep on rewriting it in your head anyway you need to make it NOT that fact.

Again , you give me the old Democrat (re: Progressive Liberal) mantra. Some folks need to learn stuff on their own and not be "parrots" . I tire of hearing things like this . Reminds me of a certain "Big Lie" method of propaganda...
Peace

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

What "war" on women's health? Please extrapilate.

The concern over infancide has been validated by actions of PP.

There shouldn't even be a question on this. Killing LIVE babies is murder and, in my mind, an entire separate issue than a woman's right to abort life.

What kind of people have we become that killing newborns for parts is okay?

It's one thing to abort at 12 to 16 weeks, but to look down at a newborn live being, drawing in the same air of all those "humans" in that room, then killing it for science.....this is horrific.

If Boehner was not prepared to grow a spine and defend that newborn, he should clean out his desk!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
He was in a position of "resign or be terminated" . It had noting to do with the "mythical war on women" or the Pope's visit. The deal was he was a do-nothing leader and the Republican Party was gonna call for his head anyway. Now , if he would just convince his counterpart , McConnell , to leave too. Congress would be a better place without the both of them. (Could have been that he had insider knowledge Trump would be the next President?)

This! (True) Conservatives around the USA rejoice. Boehner was a lame duck who couldn't get anything done or stand up to anyone.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Seems to me like his guilty conscience finally smacked him. Or yeah, maybe he's just tired of trying to stop the GOP implosion.

Bittersweet, but I figured the Republicans would come unglued after the mid-terms.

Actually, this is very bad news for Democrats...and especially the Obama administration.
Boehner was/is very compliant to Obama. The next leader will most likely be more confrontational.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Most recently, Mr. Boehner, 65, was trying to craft a solution to keep the government open through the rest of the year, but was under pressure from a growing base of conservatives who told him that they would not vote for a bill that did not defund Planned Parenthood. Several of those members were on a path to remove Mr. Boehner as speaker, though their ability to do so was far from certain.

Yeah...no.

Morel like he realized that he was fighting for the wrong team. What a monstrosity the GOP has become.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Whenever I see someone resign unexpectedly I automatically think, 'scandal'.

Not saying this is the case one way or the other but it has happened far too many times in the past.

I feel like this resignation is more fueled by the fringe GOP taking over and effectively disowning the moderate side of the GOP.

Boehner has taken a lot of heat from the rest of the GOP for not wanting to shut the government down over defunding PP.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I'd bet it will be John Cornyn.

But, judging by how crazy the Republicans in the House have become over the past few years, I wouldn't put it past them to choose an idiot like Louie Gohmert either.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's exactly what I think, too.

If you can't beat 'em, abandon 'em.

link   
Here's my thoughts from the closed/redirected thread - One has to wonder how much Pope Francis's visit to Congress may have played a part in this decision. It's said that he read the prayer of St. Francis to the GOP members in attendance at the meeting. While hosting the Pope yesterday Boehner could be seen overcome with emotion and fighting back tears.

Apparently it's thought he has been under extraordinary pressure over his handling of the budget and the potential government shut down as it relates to the defunding of Planned Parenthood.

The timing is just so interesting. I wondered if maybe the timing is specifically related to the looming budget crisis. Ptherise it would seem kind of rude if you ask me.

Very interested in his comments but, for the life of me, I can't understand why he could wait another hour or two until AFTER the Pope's speech at the UN.

edit on 9/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

link   
I see this as possibly related to the surge in popularity of 'Outsider' candidates in the 2016 race...even Hillary is claiming to be the ultimate outsider.

Boehner realizes that the age of the established, political bureaucrat is waning. He personifies that label.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

If you want to talk about the fake parent parenthood videos go to that thread, Im not going to rehash it here.

It has been established that women have the right to health services, the republicans are trying desperately to remove a very much needed place for women to get medical care.

Whether a woman has a right to her manage the health of her own body is something you need to take it up with the supreme court in regards to roe versus wade. Done and dusted.

That extrapolation enough for you?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Don't rule out 'personal' reasons for the resignation. Boehner may have been battling alcoholism for some time.
Perhaps, this...or some related incident... was about to be, or was threatened to be, used against him.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here are my thoughts from one I started in US Political Madness:

(it's closed now)

John Boehner, whose four-and-a-half years as Speaker of the House of Representatives were defined as much by clashes with his Republican colleagues as they were by his fights with President Obama, is leaving Congress, an aide confirmed.

Boehner told the House GOP conference Friday morning that he will resign both as Speaker and from his seat representing Ohio’s 8th District at the end of October,

This is a developing story, so the article doesn't talk much about why - but they mention he thinks it's "for the good of Congress".time.com...

Apparently he's been fighting his own party, and maybe that's why he was crying at the Assembly yesterday!

Wow.

Speaker John A. Boehner, under intense pressure from conservatives in his party, will resign one of the most powerful positions in government and give up his House seat at the end of October, throwing Congress into chaos as it tries to avert a government shutdown.

www.nytimes.com... &WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I feel like this resignation is more fueled by the fringe GOP taking over and effectively disowning the moderate side of the GOP.

Boehner has taken a lot of heat from the rest of the GOP for not wanting to shut the government down over defunding PP.

Bang on KS.
PP is just he latest political tool to cause division and cost everyone money. Most don't care about the subject I'd hazard a guess, it's just the next 'flavor of the month' topic.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
He got Poped.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Actually, this is very bad news for Democrats...and especially the Obama administration.
Boehner was/is very compliant to Obama. The next leader will most likely be more confrontational.

I agree with you, but I don't think it is bad news for Democrats. The Republicans, if they nominate someone more conservative and more confrontational to the Democrats, are just going to further shoot themselves in the foot for the upcoming elections. The public is already fed up with Republican feet dragging. This could very well end up being bad news for the Republicans depending on who ends up taking over.

All polling says that the GOP will be blamed if the government gets shut down again. If y'all get what you so desperately want, it's going to seriously hurt your election chances.
edit on 25-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe.

If the Pope visit really and truly moved Boehner, he may have been compelled personally to step down in an effort to not get in the way of the hard right in burning down the house over abortion.

He may have felt his position as Speaker and the relationships across the aisle in an effort to lead might make it difficult to stand on his Catholic principles. So he quit since his party doesn't care for his leadership anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join