It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon only object in space that does not spin on axis...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
An all new can of worms but here goes:

Wouldn't the moon need to rotate in order to produce gravity? The astronauts that landed on it wouldn't have been able to stay in contact with the surface. (Leave the fake moon landing theroy in another topic, please). As a side note, the Earth and moon are more like a binary planet paring than a planet/moon pairing. That has nothing to do with the question...I'll go home now.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You do not need rotation for gravity, just mass. If our haughty astronauts had landed on a small asteroid, for example, the they would need to walk very carefully, lest the jump into orbit around said asteroid. Or worse...into free space. Yikes!

[edit on 30-12-2004 by Der Kapitan]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I wonder if NASA or anyone else has taken any pictures of the other side of the moon? And why is it that we only see one side of it? Even though it does rotate around earth it is always facing us with just that one side. Maybe its core has something to do with it. Any educated guess'?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
All I can think while reading this thread is: What has happened to our educational system? What has happened to science education in this country?

This is depressing. Even worse is the realization that the kids posting these idiotic theories will one day grow up to be old enough to vote.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
After coming back to this thread, I'd have to agree! WTF. We are talking about basic principles here, people. Middle school stuff. Still some are ignoring or not reading the posts. WE ONLY SEE ONE SIDE OF THE MOON BECAUSE ITS ORBITAL VELOCITY MATCHES ITS ROTATION. Gee whiz folks.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
In the book "Alien Agenda" by Jim Marrs, he brings to light a lot of disturbing facts about the Moon.

1) The Moon has elements on the surface ( I forgot which ones) in very pure forms and in vast quantities, which are not found on Earth in such forms.
If the moon broke away from the Earth, the composition of the soil and the strata should have been atleast remotely similar, but it's very very different.

2) Moon Rock and soil samples have been identified as over 5.3 Billion years old which would actually make it over a billion years older than the Earth.

3) Those who have done some research on the moon may be aware of the structures called "The Shard", "The Dome", "The Bridge" and "The Tower". These are structures on the moon which can not be explained by any natural phenomenon. "The Shard" is almost a mile high tower shaped structure which looks like an airport traffic control tower. So does "The Tower", except for it is estimated to be 5 miles high.

4) The Outer Surface of the moon is harder than you would expect, astronauts were only able to drill a couple of Inches on it.

5) It is also been estimated that the moon has a very sparse or no core, based on seismological studies of the moon.
It is highly unlikely for a naturally created object to be denser on the outside than it is on the inside.

6) Various religious texts speak of a time "Before the moon shone in the sky".

7) All Nasa Landings on the Moon have been very close to the anomalies found on the moon. Why would they want to go to only these places?

For more Info just try the search "Moon Anomalies" On google.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I read that book a couple of times. Interesting stuff about the moon, but no real teeth to it. Speculation. I think that if we would just return to the moon alot of these things would get cleared up.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vivek
In the book "Alien Agenda" by Jim Marrs, he brings to light a lot of disturbing facts about the Moon.

1) The Moon has elements on the surface ( I forgot which ones) in very pure forms and in vast quantities, which are not found on Earth in such forms.

If the moon broke away from the Earth, the composition of the soil and the strata should have been atleast remotely similar, but it's very very different.

Wrong. The chemical composition of moon rocks is in fact very similar to that of Earth

2) Moon Rock and soil samples have been identified as over 5.3 Billion years old which would actually make it over a billion years older than the Earth.

Wrong again. The moon is estimated to be 4.3 billion years old or so.

3) Those who have done some research on the moon may be aware of the structures called "The Shard", "The Dome", "The Bridge" and "The Tower". These are structures on the moon which can not be explained by any natural phenomenon. "The Shard" is almost a mile high tower shaped structure which looks like an airport traffic control tower. So does "The Tower", except for it is estimated to be 5 miles high.

Pics?

4) The Outer Surface of the moon is harder than you would expect, astronauts were only able to drill a couple of Inches on it.

So? The lunar breccia is not rounded and smooth. Try to drive a pole into a gravel driveway.

5) It is also been estimated that the moon has a very sparse or no core, based on seismological studies of the moon.
It is highly unlikely for a naturally created object to be denser on the outside than it is on the inside.

Wrong again. The moon is certainly not hollow.

6) Various religious texts speak of a time "Before the moon shone in the sky".

So?

7) All Nasa Landings on the Moon have been very close to the anomalies found on the moon. Why would they want to go to only these places?

So? The lunar landing sites were chosen to answer scientific question about the composition and origin of the moon.

For more Info just try the search "Moon Anomalies" On google.

Better yet, why don�t you go to your library and see it the have a copy of The big Splat, for one of the latest theories on lunar origins. It also reviews past theories quite nicely. A definite �must read� if you are interested in this topic at all.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If the moon does spin, can anybody show a picture of the other side the moon?

Also, there's got to be a time where the other side of the moon was visible to earth, if the moon does rotate.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
@Howard -
1) What's the source of moon's age as 4.3 Billion years?

2) How do you explain Moon's density of 3.3g/c3 as opposed to Earth's of 5.5g/c3. Apart from the fact that it does not have a dense core like Earth does.

3)

The Fission Theory: This theory proposes that the Moon was once part of the Earth and somehow separated from the Earth early in the history of the solar system. The present Pacific Ocean basin is the most popular site for the part of the Earth from which the Moon came. This theory was thought possible since the Moon's composition resembles that of the Earth's mantle and a rapidly spinning Earth could have cast off the Moon from its outer layers. However, the present-day Earth-Moon system should contain "fossil evidence" of this rapid spin and it does not. Also, this hypothesis does not have a natural explanation for the extra baking the lunar material has received.
source:starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov...

So the Moon and Earth can not be physically tied together.

Anyways, I would be interested in your theory as to where the Moon came from?

And then again, it is a debate for the ages and I don't expect us to solve it right here right now.
I'm quoting my book and you are quoting yours. We can find a ton of contradictions in each other's posts till kingdom come.

PEACE

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
At one time a couple of billion years ago, the other side was visible to the Earth. tidal drag slowed the rotation down.

Look at it this way. If the moon did not spin on its axis, then the same side would always face the sun.

Thus Pink Floyd would be right and there really would be a "dark side" of the moon.

[edit on 30-12-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Whew.... That's better! Sorry about the giganto-pic.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan
After coming back to this thread, I'd have to agree! WTF. We are talking about basic principles here, people. Middle school stuff. Still some are ignoring or not reading the posts. WE ONLY SEE ONE SIDE OF THE MOON BECAUSE ITS ORBITAL VELOCITY MATCHES ITS ROTATION. Gee whiz folks.

The moons rotation matches it's orbital velocity (I'll try this in laymens terms). Its rotation speed is 1 for everytime it goes Once around the earth. Therefore, we only see one side of it, because from the earth, it does not appear to 'rotate' or 'spin' about an axis.

But if you really want to have some fun, try this!
Ask someone, what causes the shadow on the moon to make it have a curved look? It works especially well during the day.
The most common aswer I get is, "it's the earths shadow."
Well, during the day I say, ok, there's the sun, there's the moon, and light travels in a relatively straight line right? answer Yes. So how is it that the earth is casting a shadow when we're not in a straight path of the light? That usually turns the light on (pun).
Then they realize that its itself casting the shadow. And I explain that it's a sphere with a light shining on it.

As far as the astroid belt in our solar system, I don't know about the whole planet destroyed thing but my guess is that astroids are effected by the gravity of planets like Jupiter and Neptune along with the gravity of the Sun which sorta 'hold' them there.

Tuataras Third Eye

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Unless I am wrong Mercury doesnt spin either. Venus does but so slowly that its "Day" is longer than its year.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Dude, You blew the margins with that far side pic.

more info on the big splat

www.danamackenzie.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Mercury's day

Mercury day time is really really long.... So it does rotate.

Sorry about that big moon pic. I done fixed it. whew!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwen
If the moon does spin, can anybody show a picture of the other side the moon?

It's because it does spin that there are no pictures taken from earth of the other side of the moon. If it didn't spin, every new moon would show one face, every full moon the other.

To get an easier understanding of this, you can do a simple little experiment. Take 2 cans of Coke (or Pepsi if you're unamerican
). Place them side by side, and move one of them around the other without spinning it. When you get to the other side of the center can of coke (the Earth), notice which side of the "moon can" is facing the Earth can. Now try doing it while rotating the Moon can so as to keep the Coke UPC facing the earth. This would represent the man on the moon, which always faces us. Notice you have to spin it. There's another heavenly body which does the exact same thing...I just can't remember which it is. I'm thinking it's Uranus in it's relation to the sun, but Commander Keen Kid would be able to correct me.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Der Kapitan

Mercury day time is really really long.... So it does rotate.

Whoops. I was going on memeory of what I was taught in school about 40 years ago

Maybe back then it didnt

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Unless I am wrong Mercury doesnt spin either.

Mercury spins at a 2:3 ratio. Every 2 Mercury years, Mercury celebrates a third day.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
intresting topic good read that

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join