It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon only object in space that does not spin on axis...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

Was wondering what people's thoughts are on why the earths' moon is the only so called 'natural' formation in our solar system that does not spin on its' axis.

I've read in Blue Blood True Blood that the moon was actually a vehicle by the Draco that was placed around the earth to provide an invasion force thousands of years ago... and that the invasion force eventually went underground when lemuria sank.

Ok, for the not reptoid theories.... or scientists out there, why doesn't it spin on its axis?

Kind Regards

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Another Weird theory I read a while ago (sorry cannot find link now) said that moon is artificial and actually Earth had two moons once, but they were destroyed by Alien war

Seriously - I don't have a clue either, why moon doesn't spin on it's axis.. I'm curious to see scientific explanation

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Hmmm....that is one to ponder on? Well about em Dracoians its possible but we defintly need a scientists anwer......

But great topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
here try this...
tm.wc.ask.com...://www.wonderquest.com/MoonSpin.ht m

and this one..
tm.wc.ask.com...://www.digipro.com/Trials/moon.htm l

I am reading it myself now...hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Why is it (the Moon) so lifeless, grey ugly, depressing when u see pics of it, but from earth it is our night light of beauty....

mscbkc070904

I tried ur links I seem not to get a link from them, as object not found

[edit on 30-12-2004 by 2ndSEED]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Sorry about that try this...

www.wonderquest.com...

www.digipro.com/Trials/moon.htm

www.physicsforums.com/archive/forum/t-14029

www.grantchronicles.com/astro29.htm

www.nfo.edu/moon.htm

try the other sites i looked into also...hopefully they will work as well.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The Moon, of course, rotates--at the same speed as it orbits the Earth. So, in the 27.32 days it takes the Moon to go around Earth, the Moon also spins about its axis one full revolution. That's why we always see the same face of the Moon.

Was off the first site linked........interesting. But this also happens when artificial satelites are placed in orbit, the same side faces the earth.... again one full revolution as it takes to orbit the earth........ artificial satelites....I personally believe our moon is artificial.

Also, if gravity were the cause, then this would have the same effect on other moons in the solar system which is not the case..... Earths Moon is the only one that does not spin (or spin once per earth rotation as we see the same side of the moon).

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndSEED
Why is it (the Moon) so lifeless, grey ugly, depressing when u see pics of it, but from earth it is our night light of beauty....

[edit on 30-12-2004 by 2ndSEED]

reflection of the Sun,
and for the link, add 'm' at the end in your browser if it doesen't 'catch' full name (should end with '.htm')

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Also that the moon may be artificial is the fact that its hollow. The moon when sent a resonance frequency to the surface makes a 'PING' sound. This happens when objects are hollow. If it was not hollow, then it would make a 'THUD' sound.

The two moon theory.... I like that idea, however wouldn't there be a vast asteroid belt surrounding the earth?

Also mentioned in Blue Blood True Blood, the earth was originally in second place around the sun, and was pushed off to third place by an ice comet that we now know as Venus. On its way to this solar system (venus), it destroyed a planet called Maldek.......which was in position between mars and jupiter..... anyone know what is between mars and jupiter now? A massive asteroid belt.....the possible remains of maldek.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Good observing the error on the .htm, after adjustment I was able to go to those links very good links and with Sciencetific explinations.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merger
Also that the moon may be artificial is the fact that its hollow. The moon when sent a resonance frequency to the surface makes a 'PING' sound. This happens when objects are hollow. If it was not hollow, then it would make a 'THUD' sound.

The two moon theory.... I like that idea, however wouldn't there be a vast asteroid belt surrounding the earth?

Also mentioned in Blue Blood True Blood, the earth was originally in second place around the sun, and was pushed off to third place by an ice comet that we now know as Venus. On its way to this solar system (venus), it destroyed a planet called Maldek.......which was in position between mars and jupiter..... anyone know what is between mars and jupiter now? A massive asteroid belt.....the possible remains of maldek.

Is there a site to Blue blood true blood? I'd never herd that theory of venus being a comet, now that astroide belts sure fits the concept of a destroed planet, but I've here it was destroyed by planet-x

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
dont know much about the moon, but if it doesnt spin, it has no axis!
I think the moon is a chunk of our planet that got stuck in our gravitational field (whatever you call it), and umm, actually I dont have a clue what I am talking about, but it seems obvious to me that it does rotate around the Earth, but it just doesnt spin as it rotates, which is why we always see the same surface of the moon. The dark side is just the Earths shadow, so even in a new moon- that smiling face is still staring at us. I really should learn more about our solar system. Do the moons of other planets spin while they rotate?

E_T

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merger
Also that the moon may be artificial is the fact that its hollow. The moon when sent a resonance frequency to the surface makes a 'PING' sound. This happens when objects are hollow.
Moon isn't hollow.
And neither that proves object is hollow, even chunk of meteorite consisting almost pure solid iron "pings" when hit.

And locking of moon's rotation to its orbital period isn't unique in solar system.
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I can NOT belive no ones stated the oveas The moon ISENoT the only body in our solar system that doesnot spin .Mercury doesNOT spin eather for one and im sure manny of the moons of jupiter and saturn dont spin eather.
and im fairly sure plutos moon doesent spin eather . The reasion for this is ovesly the alians have been placing hollow bodys through out our solar system in an attempt to to to .AA brother IF a body orbits to close to its parent body (aka the earths moon or mercury and the sun ) the parent bodys gravity overwealms the moon or planets spin and it stops spinning .
This will eventuly happen to EARTH as its lousing spin to the sun and in a few billion years will stop spinging and have one face towards the sun.
the earthlouses a fraction of a second a year making our days just slightly longer each year .(look it up)

E_T

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Fine... here's it for those incapable to following links.

Does the Moon rotate? Are there other moons that always keep one face toward their planet?
I noticed that out moon doesn't rotate as it orbits our earth. Is our moon the only moon in our solar system that doesn't rotate?

Be a little careful . . . the Moon does rotate. If you stood on the Moon, the Sun and stars would rise and set, just like they do on Earth, except that a lunar day is a month long, the same as the Moon's orbital period. The Moon rotates at just the right speed so that it always keeps one face pointed toward the Earth, which seems like a pretty big coincidence, doesn't it?

Your question is very interesting because the answer is that, no, the Moon is not unique. Almost all moons in the Solar System keep one face pointed toward their planet. (The only exception we know of is Hyperion, a moon of Saturn.) This tells us it's probably not a coincidence, that there is probably a reason for this to happen, a physical process that happens to most moons to slow their rotation.

That process is called tidal friction. You probably know that the Moon's gravity affects the Earth's oceans. Well, the Earth's gravity also affects the Moon. It distorts the Moon's shape slightly, squashing it out so that it is elongated along a line that points toward the Earth. We say that the Earth raises "tidal bulges" on the Moon.

The Earth's gravity pulls on the closest tidal bulge, trying to keep it aligned with Earth. As the Moon turns, feeling the Earth's gravity, this creates friction within the Moon, slowing the Moon's rotation down until its rotation matches its orbital period exactly, a state we call tidal synchronization. In this state, the Moon's tidal bulge is always aligned with Earth, which means that the Moon always keeps one face toward Earth.

Other planets raise tides on their moons, too, so almost all the moons in the Solar System are tidally synchronized. There's even one planet that is sychronized to its moon! Charon, Pluto's moon, is so large and so close to Pluto that the planet and moon are both locked into the same rotational rate. The Moon slows the Earth's rotation, too, but at a very slow rate, increasing the length of the day by a couple of milliseconds each century.

You might be wondering what's up with Hyperion. Gravitational interaction with other moons of Saturn cause Hyperion to tumble chaotically, so Saturn doesn't even get a chance at tidal synchronization before Hyperion's rotational state is changed by another moon. There may be other small moons that behave in this manner, as well, but it is difficult to measure the rotational periods of small moons around distant planets, so we don't know of any yet.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
mscbkc070904, good links. You seem to be having trouble with them though. One thing you can do to make them appear as clickable links in your post is to include the http:// part of the url. It's basically just copying and pasting from the address bar.

Simcity4Rushour, yes and no to some of what you said. Mercury does spin. It's day is about 59 of Earth's days. As for Pluto, you have the right idea. Pluto's day is 6.4 Earth days, which also happens to be the period it takes Charon to orbit the planet. This keeps Charon in the same spot in Pluto's sky at all times.

Merger, how did the "comet" Venus survive destroying another planet? Also, how did the "comet" Venus "push" Earth into a farther orbit? Also, did you know that Venus is about the size and mass of the Earth? It also has a dense atmosphere, like the Earth. And what about comets? The nucleus of a comet is generally 5 to 50 miles in size. That's INCREDIBLY smaller than Venus. Sure, the coma (which is just stray gas and has almost no density at all) may be millions of miles in diameter. Like I said though, it's just stray gas that has almost no density at all. So please do explain how Venus is a comet.

Earth's Moon
For those who are too lazy to read the links, the Moon does rotate. It just happens that it rotates OPPOSITE to Earth's rotation. As this happens the same hemisphere always faces the Earth.

As E_T said, the Moon is not hollow. He gave a good explanation for it too.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
For an interresting take on all of this (and more) read Imanuel Velikovsky's book 'Worlds in Collision'.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just thinking, but is it not the Earth molten iron and nickel core that keeps us spinning? I mean, the fact that it generates an EM field creates the umbra shield, right? And seeing as how the moon is just a chunk or rock, it would have no magnetic core, no atmoshpere, and no wind. This is why one side of the moon is called the "dark side" and the other the "light side". The dark side is covered with craters as it is always facing away, and the light side is basically mark-free compared to it's counterpart because it's well, facing us.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Ummmm, you all know that all the bodies of our solar system have rotation on an axis, right? Wether they're flipped on its sides or rotate in unison with its orbital velocity, they ARE rotating. Last I read nuthin' sittin' still here.....

E_T

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by satchbfoot
Just thinking, but is it not the Earth molten iron and nickel core that keeps us spinning? I mean, the fact that it generates an EM field creates the umbra shield, right?
It's magnetic field, electric field is very different thing.

And it's not only core which keeps earth rotating, it's mass of whole planet. And it stays in in that state/continues rotating unless some external forces stop it, that's called as conservation of angular momentum.

Here's more about it:

BTW, in case of solid object rotation is even but in case of non-solid object like sun different parts of it can rotate at different rates.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join