It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled vet rips cop who told him he couldn’t park in handicap spot because ‘You can walk’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

The other side of the situation is that there is being handicapped and really handicapped. A good friend has the official handicapped plates, but she is quite capable of walking--for certain in a Walgreen's parking lot--into the store to do her business. Those plates are not a badge of honor or used as an "escape from jail free" purpose. They should be respected for what they represent by the bearers of such plates and thoughtful allowances made for more seriously handicapped individuals that really need that break.

My friend can't see the difference and her selfishness is not to her credit.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
For those who may not know, a disabled person who doesn't drive can get a parking card because others are driving them places. You don't need a drivers license, just an ID card.

So a non disabled person can drive the car alone and park it in a HC space? Doubt it.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

you hit my $700 phone.....

my $800 phone has a crack in it!

amazing how the phone gained $100 dollars when cracked.

don't agree with the cop though, stupid mall cop
edit on 10/8/15 by Phatdamage because: I'm BATMAN

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well there is usually more than one handicap spot at most businesses. Also if he hadn't been tied up dealing with officer dudly do right he probably would've been in and out in 5-10min. Then the space would have been open for the next person. It is not the officers job to do anything more than match the plate to the placard and if the do match move on. If not maybe a stern lecture and a ticket and move on. This knocking around of cameras is destruction of property that wasn't being shoved in his face...he was shoving himself right up at that guy. You see it several times...he is just pacing around aimlessly like a damn Buffon...

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

For those who may not know, a disabled person who doesn't drive can get a parking card because others are driving them places. You don't need a drivers license, just an ID card.

So a non disabled person can drive the car alone and park it in a HC space? Doubt it.

No. That is in violation of the law, and it risks the placard for the disabled person as well.

That said...it is highly unusual to question someone's status. Because it is risky. I don't know police, but if a person walks into a hotel with a service animal, and the hotel manager demands proof its a service animal...that hotel manager could likely be sued for violating this persons rights. It has happened before in both hotels and restaurants.

For me...i just ignore the HC spots in general. I don't care who parks there. You don't even have to fake a limp on the way in...its none of my concern. Besides: the vast majority of HC spots are not marked properly and enforcable. At least, not around here. If you get a ticket, you can challenge it and have it dismissed more often than not.

I should add: i have a HC placard in my truck. My mom is disabled, but drives my truck sometimes when we swap out. It stays neatly tucked in my visor until she needs it. I know better than to risk her benefit.
edit on 8/10/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
With all eyes on the action of police across this country, it amazes me how some police officers "don't think" before they act. This police officer should have to pay for this guy's phone out of his own pocket.

The videos that have been posted lately really show how police try to lie to cover their tracks.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Posting mainly because this is just too...something. We seriously don't have more important things to worry about?

My favorite line: '...just because I don't look handicapped. You don't look well enough to be a*&^%$ officer with your gut hanging over your stomach."

Seems tensions are high all over. Undertow.

[Raw Story Here]

A Florida police officer received an earful from a disabled veteran after harassing him for parking in a handicap spot in front of a Walgreen’s despite the fact that the vet had a handicap sticker in his window.

I hate to say it however, when I read about the court case which determined that a potential police officer could be discriminated against for being 'too smart', I lost a bit of respect for the uniform. This is an example of the lowest form of lack of intelligence as a police officer!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You never stop do you..big govt..is it govt policy to harrass handicap parking users..wtf is wrong with you..lol
No..it's a dumbf#ck cop fail, where do they find these mouth breathers.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That cop was completely unprofessional. Badly trained, bad attitude and just a bad human being in general. He could've ran the check politely, explained why he was running it and treated the guy with some respect instead of escalating the situation unnecessarily.

The other cop who came along seemed like a nice guy to be fair.

It's good to share these videos but people need to start bombarding the precincts with complaints and making them aware these kinds of incidents won't be tolerated.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That guy has balls insulting a cop like that! I have a friend who was parked in a handicap zone with a handicap sticker at Wal-Mart and a cop stopped and checked her out, too because she didn't look disabled.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
They give almost anyone a handicap placard these days. If you don't use a walker or wheelchair, you shouldn't be given a handicap placard period. If you can walk around inside walmart for over an hour, you don't need to be parking in handicap spot.

The cop screwed up by touching the person, he should in my opinion be forced to pay for repairs on the person phone.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The only thing disabled in this video is the first officer. He's clearly developmentally disabled AND an a-hole.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
more protection and service. nice to see such care in the community. these kind of officers must get up each morning and think 'how can i be an asshole today?'

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Of course not. That's not what I said. I myself don't drive but was able to get a card for when someone else is driving me somewhere. I always take my card from the person afterward. No one can use the card unless they are driving the disabled person somewhere.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Crikey, is that where your tax dollar goes? Just because a man can walk doesn't mean he isn't disabled, and if that happens to be justified by medical records then so be it. Nobody should question it, especially if he is a retired veteran. sure over here in the UK we have people claiming disabled benefits who don't deserve to be on them, but if this man has served his country and was wounded in battle then he has every right to kick off.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

They give almost anyone a handicap placard these days. If you don't use a walker or wheelchair, you shouldn't be given a handicap placard period.

You have to at least use a cane and a doctor has to sign paperwork in order for you to get a card.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I see a lot of people without canes, etc using handicapped. Maybe they are just taking advantage of the card hanging in the vehicle. It looks like some older people can get a permit for being old.

Maybe it's better for rage types to cheat then have fights with each other of a close up parking spot.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

My mom got hers because of her cancer, and maintained it when she lost a few disks in her back.

You don't have to "look disabled". It kind of falls in that saying, "Tend your own backyard and don't worry about your neighbors back yard".

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That was mainly in response to the posted idea that a person needs a cane to get a placard. I'm pretty darn sure in Texas a cane isn't required.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

you are correct.

and having a cane would not qualify on its own. it really boils down to what your doctor believes is best for you, and how that fits within state guidelines.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join