It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain is too tolerant and should interfere more in people's lives, says David Cameron

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',” he said.

Just let that comment sink in...

www.independent.co.uk...

These are frankly terrifying comments from Cameron.
As well as bringing the "Snoopers Charter" and other draconian and invasive measures into force, Cameron now wants to invade, snoop and interfere into our personal lives and have free reign over what we say, write and whatever else.

Of course this is being proposed under the guise of "Radicalism" and the whole "if you've got nothing to hide" nonsense will be trotted out but where does this stop? Anti-Government speech perhaps? Protests?

I feared a Tory Government because of what they will do to the poorest and most vulnerable... but there are lot of things that they will do to further erode our privacy and freedoms... including Free Speech.

uk.reuters.com...
edit on 14/5/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

"......long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone',”

Isn't that how it should be?
Obey the law and you get left alone - pretty straight forward.

Surely only a strong suspicion that someone has broken or is about to break the law can justify the level of intrusion and snooping he is advocating here.

Just the beginning methinks.

+1 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
And to think there was once a theory trotted out that politicians were elected to represent the people's interests. I guess that theory is now fully debunked.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
What is dave playing at??

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Exactly mate...it's almost nightmarish, almost unbelievable.
The implications of comments like that... just...wow.

*shudders*

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

What this leader needs to do is start focusing on morals and ethics rather than laws.

Start with the media and what they are influencing, making worse - extremism, family values etc etc

Of course you wouldn't go after your friends though would you? Because that would mean you were in it for the love of people. This man doesn't love people. He doesn't lead people to success and healthy living.

God Save The People not The Queen nor this faggotted out plum-mouthed MF.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Combined with what that Tenn. Senator said regarding Americans needing to give up their privacy even further in order to create "security" sounds to me like they are making their play towards a global government. Shoring up loose ends, redrafting the British Bill of Rights...America, having crazy debates on whats to be socially acceptable, shaping the new "Norm" is happening all around us...without our consent.
edit on 14-5-2015 by BlueJacket because: eta

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

American Senator Bob Corker said something very similar in the last couple days.

It's a political disease.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I feel bad for my fellow ATS'ers over in the UK. What a loyal conservative... he is starting to sound just like our "conservatives" over here in the states.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

The problem was they ran the Country for the last five years held back by a liberal Democrat coalition. People have voted them in as a majority government seeing what good they have done and are now unleashing hell onto Britain.

Expect more erosions of our civil liberties and moral obligations we have as citizens towards each other.
edit on 14-5-2015 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2015 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

What can I say?

What can anyone say when the phrase " I damned well TOLD you so!" ceases to be enough?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Keeping the manifesto pledges to scrap human rights, introducing the snooping charter and banning protests against the savage upcoming cuts. Same stuff they tried to pass through Parliament last time but couldn't secure a majority vote, now it's a dead cert.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

It read to me like he is trying to target minority extremist within Britain, before they become a bigger problem, I guess the middle eastern population that are growing now to be British born, could become a problem as their views can be a line with those of terrorist extremist groups like ISIS.

Now that we know that Facebook and internet has become a primary recruiting tool for ISIS he wants to make sure that he is on top of it.

But I could be wrong.

Here in the US the population of middle eastern immigrants are growing also, becoming born citizens, now we are on our toes because ISIS sympathizers could be on the raise then we have the home grown ones too or not middle eastern decent.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

He's playing at being the real Tory that he is. It's not about obeying the law it's how fat your wallet is. The fatter it is the more freedom you will have to do whatever you damn well please.

Keep an eye on the child abuse enquiry set-up by Theresa May.........

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Is Dave in his toff's ivory tower actually waking up to attacks on British values and culture or, are we looking at the starting of the Gestapo here in which case my family Grandfathers and fathers shouldn't have bothered fighting in both world wars?

The law gets so twisted because what the British are told a law has been enacted to do, is usually only a quarter of the truth whilst the other three-quarters of its reach are turned against the public, incase they criticise too loudly or have cash or property that can be fined away in order to keep the establishment going.

Dave is right to be paranoid about his position and policies of further cuts. He knows exactly how much support - or how little support he actually has in the country. I doubt he has the ability or wit to handle the public through these times.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Tory policy could well bite those who voted for them and serve those who didn't listen right. Voting tory does not exempt you, and they were warned.

I suspect the deficit many quacked about but probably don't understand, means nothing practical to most people, but further cuts to their standard of living will. With the amount of debt country's like the e.g. the USA hold, debt worrying is ludicrous because it means nothing - what country will actually ever be out of debt with the way the financial markets are set up?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

American Senator Bob Corker said something very similar in the last couple days.

It's a political disease.

Worse...it's a global conspiracy in the works.

It's not about the UK, or the USA or Europe, nor Asia, Africa, S. America...it's about the entire world.

This is the rolling wheels of the new world order we've all heard about for years...it's actually happening right now.

When i was a kid, i was told the boogeyman was just a made up story and it wasn't real...that was a lie. There are in fact multiple boogymen and they are all working together against us.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As I said before when this cropped up, with a slim 8 seat majority and a sizable chunk of his backbench against this (Led by David Davis, a well respected Tory MP), I don't see this flying. They'll face a rebellion over it.

As for all the "Tories are evil" nonsense, it's just that. 13 years of Labour hardly did us any favours, but apparently they're the party we should have to look after us...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

While I agree that the wording is awkward, it's clear that this one line is being taken entirely out of context here.

I'm as critical/suspicious of the Conservatives as the next level-headed Brit, but this is a discussion about freedom of speech, or more specifically, the people who abuse their freedom of speech to encourage violence against others.

We have to face facts, there are radicals in all our countries who abuse our rights and freedoms to plan attacks on the rest of us, ironically using the freedoms they have to encourage the removal of those freedoms from everyone - including themselves.

These arrogant, ignorant and entirely radicalized religiously delusional and politically extreme people should not have the freedom to abuse and attack our society.

The only concern with these proposed new laws should be how they affect the rest of us in our democratic freedoms. The things that concern me about these new laws are how they will be used to prevent peaceful protests, how they might be used to sensor the Internet under other "causes" and how the press might be increasingly controlled by the state as a result.

As long as the rest of us are still free to discuss, debate, protest and speak freely as RATIONAL citizens of this country, I am all for our government cracking down on those who want to maim and murder in the name of their idiotic religious belief or political opinion.

These laws should be used to prevent right wing extremists and religious radicals from preaching their hate and ignorance in our country. As long as that's the goal and as long as it's being achieved, I fully support it.

To ensure it doesn't result in anything else, this entire system should be held in check by the courts and the public. The moment these laws are seen to be being used for an unintended purpose (infringing on the rights of British citizens to protest peacefully, or infringing on Internet or press freedom) those responsible for that breach should be fired, or even charged with a Human Rights violation.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
Worse...it's a global conspiracy in the works.

It's not about the UK, or the USA or Europe, nor Asia, Africa, S. America...it's about the entire world.

*sigh*

Please prove this to be the case.
Really, we see this notion suggested every day here on ATS but no one ever seems to be able to back up this notion of a "NWO global conspiracy" with any ACTUAL FACTS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join