It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Despite lower crime rates, support for gun rights increases

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

For most of the 1990s and the subsequent decade, a substantial majority of Americans believed it was more important to control gun ownership than to protect gun owners’ rights. But in December 2014, the balance of opinion flipped: For the first time, more Americans say that protecting gun rights is more important than controlling gun ownership, 52% to 46%.

Why has public opinion shifted about gun control? As my colleagues at Pew Research Center have documented elsewhere, some of this is related to politics, as Republicans have become far more supportive of gun rights during the Obama years. The rise in support for gun rights has also spanned many other regional and demographic groups.

Despite lower crime rates, support for gun rights increases

Well it is about time people got their heads on straight. So it seems that people are finally coming around to the fact that having a gun DOES make you safer from a criminal element...

But there may be another factor behind this shift: Americans’ changing perceptions about crime. Over the past 25 years or so, there has been a divergence between American perceptions about crime and actual crime rates. And those who worried about crime had favored stricter gun control; now, they tend to desire keeping the laws as they are or loosening gun control. In short, we are at a moment when most Americans believe crime rates are rising and when most believe gun ownership – not gun control – makes people safer.

I find this refreshing coming from Pew Research....

This was a great research article on the matter and really gets to the meat of the argument and the actual facts.

I am a big supporter of gun rights. I have no problem with people owning guns and carrying them. I DO believe it makes the world safer knowing that everyone can and likely will defend themselves against criminals when needed.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Some day man will need to learn how to live without crutches.

They are all obsessed about safety. "More guns running rampant in the street is the solution", they say.

But this obsession with safety... is it not what Benjamin Franklin warned us against?

Is a nation filled with guns, a nation in which every citizens are in a mini-cold war with his neighbour ("At the first sign of trouble we'll shoot each other and ask questions later"), the true and ultimate goal of the Constitution?

I think not.

edit on 21-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Some day man will need to learn how to live without crutches.

They are all obsessed about safety. "More guns running rampant in the street is the solution", they say.

But this obsession with safety... is it not what Benjamin Franklin warned us against?

Is a nation filled with guns, a nation in which every citizens are in a mini-cold war with its neighbour, the true dream of the Constitution?

I think not.

I, and all of the neighbors I know in my neighborhood, have guns. They are the last people I would ever think I would have to use them on. Not sure where this false sense of "everyone is the enemy" is coming from. I carry because I live in a big city, and because crime has touched my family and I choose to be able to protect my family from it in this manner....not because I am worried about a neighbor....common misconception from those on the opposite side of the thought process.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Sorry, but I do not subscribe to the myth that every gun carriers are sound of mind.

But I won't take any more of your time, I know that my opinion of this matter will be thoroughly rejected.

Good bye.

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Is a nation filled with guns, a nation in which every citizens are in a mini-cold war with his neighbour ("At the first sign of trouble we'll shoot each other and ask questions later"), the true dream of the Constitution?

I think not.

Benjamin Franklin said "Those who would sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither". Seems that the people are embracing freedom and wanting more, while providing safety and protection for themselves and their families.

The only ones that seem to be shooting first and asking questions later seems to be the ones that are sworn to protect and serve. I think the people finally have this one right for a change.
edit on 4/21/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/21/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
link   

Sorry, but I do not subscribe to the myth that every gun carriers are sound of mind.

Agreed. Start with the criminals.

+9 more 
link   

I do not subscribe to the myth that ANY criminals are.....

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The very vast majority of anti firearm folks just want to argue "feel good" policies. *for the children* *mag limits* *assault rifles* blah blah blah.

They NEVER talk about the real problem, enforcing our current laws. Time after time, a repeat offender commits ANOTHER crime and gets a slap on the wrist. The anti's will scream for new laws while ignoring existing laws. It really gets under my skin.

Just a few days ago an armed thug robbed a family at gun point and got probation. FREAKING PROBATION! Why aren't the anti's (and everyone else) shouting from the rooftops, wantin enforcement of current laws??? Because they don't give a damn and enforcement of current laws is not on their agendas. Most want to argue the racial aspect of the case. Odd to say the least...

We do need to protect our rights and more folks are starting to open their eyes. Bout time!

S&F

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Out here in the sticks, everyone owns a gun. Rifles, shotguns, what have you. I hear gun shots all the time, but it never worries me, esp. if the shots are from the neighbor's place. Neighbors aren't the problem, it criminals from outside the area. Hop off the freeway, knock off a store or bank, then back on the freeway and gone. It's a different story in the city though I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

Is a nation filled with guns, a nation in which every citizens are in a mini-cold war with his neighbour ("At the first sign of trouble we'll shoot each other and ask questions later"), the true dream of the Constitution?

I think not.

Benjamin Franklin said "Those who would sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither". Seems that the people are embracing freedom and wanting more, while providing safety and protection for themselves and their families.

The only ones that seem to be shooting first and asking questions after lately seems to be the ones that are sworn to protect and serve. I think the people finally have this one right for a change.

Bingo....Franklin, and most or all of the founding fathers, would likely be fighting right now for the people and their rights...sad how far we have gotten from our original stances.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

No one is born criminal.

Criminals are made.

I certainly hope everyone with a gun in your area stay angels.

edit on 4/21/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
The very vast majority of anti firearm folks just want to argue "feel good" policies. *for the children* *mag limits* *assault rifles* blah blah blah.

They NEVER talk about the real problem, enforcing our current laws. Time after time, a repeat offender commits ANOTHER crime and gets a slap on the wrist. The anti's will scream for new laws while ignoring existing laws. It really gets under my skin.

Just a few days ago an armed thug robbed a family at gun point and got probation. FREAKING PROBATION! Why aren't the anti's (and everyone else) shouting from the rooftops, wantin enforcement of current laws??? Because they don't give a damn and enforcement of current laws is not on their agendas. Most want to argue the racial aspect of the case. Odd to say the least...

We do need to protect our rights and more folks are starting to open their eyes. Bout time!

S&F

Because he was a "good kid" and won an athletic award..../sarcasm

Yeah....completely ridiculous. They want guns off the street, then when an actual criminal gets one and commits a crime, it is all about how they were good kids and don't deserve time in jail...they made a mistake....so sick of the anti-gun garbage arguments...

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
sad how far we have gotten from our original stances.

I doubt that the original stance was to have a nation in which safety was the main and only concern.

As I said. My opinions are being rejected. I feel like a mother telling her children to stop poking each other.

Ah, well. Please do ignore my voice.

Have a nice day.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

No one is born criminal.

Criminals are made.

I certainly better hope everyone with a gun in your area stay angels.

Criminals are made....and some are born, but a gun doesn't make them nor bear them anything. What a gun CAN do is keep others safe from the criminal element. Sort of like how alarm sighs and beware of dog signs tend to keep some away....a gun is very similar but puts the control in the hands of the innocent when needed.

Tired of the anti gun argument....criminals are criminals...they will continue to be. Please let me know how getting rid of guns gets rid of criminals in your eyes?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Please let me know how getting rid of guns gets rid of criminals in your eyes?

My answer relies on basic physics, visibility and tensile strength.

Would you listen?

I doubt it.

Bye.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

sad how far we have gotten from our original stances.

I doubt that the original stance was to have a nation in which safety was the main and only concern.

As I said. My opinions are being rejected. I feel like a mother telling her children to stop poking each other.

Ah, well. Please do ignore my voice.

Have a nice day.

Again, I don't recall anyone around me having safety as their main concern...is it yours? I actually don't think about the gun on my side when I carry....I think about it when a situation arises where it may be necessary....its called situational awareness. When a threat is perceived, people act on that threat. I don't walk around looking for threats or thinking about them. Typically I am thinking about work or whatever I am doing at the moment.....

Do you walk around all the time thinking about not having guns?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Well it is about time people got their heads on straight. So it seems that people are finally coming around to the fact that having a gun DOES make you safer from a criminal element...

People can be swayed from time-to-time. They always come around (or maybe they experience Darwinism first-hand). Many of us have been lulled into a passive state of mind by the nanny state. This is just another sign people are 'waking up'.

Criminals are always looking for an easy buck. White collar ... blue collar ... same diff. If it's too risky they'll look for an easier mark. An armed target is Nothing to mess with. Bad guy scares an armed mark ... there's no telling what the outcome's going to be. 'Bout the only thing an armed citizen is threatened by is the 'random act' of violence.

Anybody can arm themselves. Take a couple of classes, read a few books and practice, practice, practice. In a couple of weeks ANYONE will be more able to defend themselves than the guy who just sits around thinking, "911". Get serious ... and you'll be a force to be reckoned with. Rally with like-minded members of your neighborhood and you'll find yourself the resident of a secure community. It's not hard. It's natural. It's common sense. And, it's everything your Government stands against.

-Cheers

S&F for you Vasa Croe.

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Gun laws are useless. Gun laws only affect the people that you don't have to worry about in the first place.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Please let me know how getting rid of guns gets rid of criminals in your eyes?

Would you listen?

I doubt it.

Sure. I will remind you though, you are the one that stated above that criminals are made, directly relating it to this thread on guns.

So sure...I will listen. Please let me know how getting rid of guns also gets rid of criminals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join