It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Respond to Wrong House, Kill Service Dog Who Worked With Children With Down Syndrome

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
and there are more good cops than bad

I disagree. There are very few good cops. Any cop that remains silent, or doesn't turn in a bad cop, is a bad cop.

Anyway…

This happened because: pit bulls. They are an unpredictable breed. There's no way around it.
edit on 3-4-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I beg to differ..

The most aggressive breed, the study found, was the Dachshund. The researchers discovered that that one in five have bit or attempted to bite a stranger, and one in twelve have lashed out at their owners. Chihuahuas were in second place, and Jack Russells were the third most aggressive breed. Up to 30 percent of these smaller breeds have bit or attempted to bite unfamiliar dogs.

The least aggressive breeds included Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Siberian Huskies, and Greyhounds. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers scored about average to below average in the study.

os.care2.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">link to source

a reply to: SkepticOverlord

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

This happened because: pit bulls. They are an unpredictable breed. There's no way around it.

No sir, this happened because they got the wrong house.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
I beg to differ..

The most aggressive breed, the study found, was the Dachshund. The researchers discovered that that one in five have bit or attempted to bite a stranger, and one in twelve have lashed out at their owners. Chihuahuas were in second place, and Jack Russells were the third most aggressive breed. Up to 30 percent of these smaller breeds have bit or attempted to bite unfamiliar dogs.

The least aggressive breeds included Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Siberian Huskies, and Greyhounds. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers scored about average to below average in the study.

os.care2.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">link to source

That's because the problem is not with the breed, it's the fact that thugs only want pit bulls and rotties.

They get a "mean, tough looking dog" and teach it to be mean and tough. Most of the pit and rottie rescues have checkered pasts and it makes them unpredictable.

I personally know 2 pit bulls who were rescued and they're great lovable dogs but can't be trusted around other animals because of their past.

edit on 4/3/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The pit bull misconception is one of the biggest I've been snapped at by more jack terrier and chihuahuas than I have pitbulls

www.dogster.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">source

10 Misconceptions About Pit Bulls

1. All Pit Bulls Are Bad - Dogs do not have a conscience; they cannot be "bad." Pit Bulls react to their world based on their breeding and training. You can't breed a dog to fight other dogs for almost 200 years and expect those instincts to vanish.

2. All Pit Bulls Are Good - No dog is not innately "good." They simply act as their instincts and owners tell them to. To try to sell the Pit Bull to the public as a fluffy bunny does a disservice to the public, to potential Pit Bull owners and to Pits themselves.

3. Pit Bulls Are Human Aggressive - Since Pits were bred to fight dogs in a ring, the owners had to make certain they would not turn on them when they went in to stop the fight. Imagine a dog, so riled up from fighting and very aggressive, who was able to then turn it off when his human appeared in the pit. When a Pit Bull attacks a person, there are always other factors involved, such as protection of food. Any dog may bite if provoked.

4. Pit Bulls Can Cause More Damage Than Other Dogs - Sorry, Pit Bull lovers but this is sometimes sadly true. Myths such as the locked jaw have been disproved but a Pit Bull's traits make him naturally more driven. Consider these: tenacity (they often fought til death in rings), gameness, prey drive, a compact, strong, muscular body (pits can pull up to 7,000 pounds) and centuries of fighting instinct. But, there are too many factors involved in dog bites, such as the size of the animal and where the bite occurred, to make a blanket statement. In their favor, a Pit Bull will likely listen and obey better than other dogs if properly trained.

5. An Aggressive Pit Bull Cannot Be Rehabilitated- This was disproved by the Michael Vick case where some 50 pit bulls were rescued from a fighting ring. Of those, 49 dogs were rehabilitated. Some went to shelters such as Best Friends and many are well-loved family members today. The testing used to determine these dogs' ability to fit into society was exhaustive and excellent and successful.

6. Anyone Can Own a Pit Bull - Pit Bulls are different from other dogs and their owners need to be told the facts before rescuing or purchasing one. A dog lover who has had Bichons all her life will be sorely surprised unless she does her homework and understands the bully breeds. Pits need a lot of structure, a very pronounced human alpha, training, exercise and lots of attention. The owner needs consistency, time, energy and maybe some muscle.

7. Pit Bulls Will Always Fight Other Dogs - Some Pits are so dog aggressive that they should be the only dog in the house. They also should not go to dog parks or areas where dogs run off-leash. Any Pit Bull could get into a fight with another dog. Any dog could. But breaking up a Pit Bull fight is much harder than a tiff between a Shiba Inu and aSharpei Inu. If you have a Pit Bull, learn about hisbody language and the signs that he is getting ready to fight. This will prevent many incidents.

8. Pit Bulls Are Lovers Not Fighters - Since it's been established that they can be fighters, what about lovers? Absolutely! Pit Bulls give more kisses than any other type of dog (it's proven!). They love humans and human interactions. They feed off positive attention. These dogs are loving, friendly creatures. And they are the kings of clowning.

9. Pit Bulls Are Badly Behaved - Any dog who has this much energy and motivation coded into his DNA can cause problems if he doesn't get enough attention and exercise. Pit Bulls put their whole hearts into destruction - of couches, beds, pillows, or your $200 boots. But all they need is to have that energy redirected. Pit Bulls are highly trainable but they do need to be trained. Their intelligence, focus, gameness, loyalty and desire to please makes them one of the most teachable dogs.

10. Compromise is Unthinkable - Unfortunately, both sides of the Pit Bull debate are often stubborn about their views and solutions. For those who think BSL is wrong, they need to be realistic about how to end it. For those that think Pit Bulls are dangerous, they need to recognize that banning Pits tears loved pets away from their families and what they propose will not stop all dangerous dogs. Giving in a bit on both sides, such as allowing muzzling of Pit Bulls in public places in exchange for no BSL, may prove the only hope.

Pitbulls are like other dogs yet they're also unique. Their gameness, focus, desire to please and boundless energy can be seen as either productive or unproductive traits. The trick is to utilize these characteristics in focused play and work, such as agility, weight pulling, rescue work or nose work.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I agree most pit bulls are unpredictable..... because their owners are usually unpredictable. It doesn't matter how aggressive the breed is, these guys mold to their owners behavior.

The cop who shot this dog is in the wrong profession and should be fired immediately, he is a danger to the community... Cops like this, who can't handle dogs don't deserve to own a gun or a job as a policeman.

edit on 3-4-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Kid with Dow sindrom should be happy that cop didn't shoot him.

What is internal affair doing. Or are they all corrupt?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: saadad
Kid with Dow sindrom should be happy that cop didn't shoot him.

What is internal affair doing. Or are they all corrupt?

Just wait and see- they'll do nothing, in the end.

Cops shoot and kill unarmed citizens regularly- and rarely get a real punishment. Why would they be punished for executing a dog?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

as a pitiful owner i have to agree with you. we got a cat little while ago and the dog got jealous of the cat and attacked her one night. thank god i got the kitty away from him unharmed but i was bitten in the process.

my ex's son used to mess with the dog and one day the dog had enough of a 9 year old trying to ride him like a horse and growled at the kid. and we had to keep them separate for a few weeks till we knew everything was okay.

people are Leary of big dog in general and for good reason. my dog is a great dog but he is still an animal.

the cop in this story was out of line, one officer obviously felt comfortable enough to pet him but the other felt like he needs to shoot the dog? makes sense.

poor dog, poor owner and mostly poor kids

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well, one thing is for sure, cops are more dangerous than pitbulls! I say lets ban the cops

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I don't like bashing cops they have a very tough very dangerous job to do...

B.S. No other job pairs wielding of such power with such a lack of accountability. And those on the receiving end of an officers actions are in far greater danger.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Looks like they better start recruiting cops that can read house numbers before anything else. I'm amazed at the levels of stupidity and cruelty being reached by LEO's everyday in the US. How can one officer pet a dog while another shoots it? I don't buy it, I think they added the petting part to put whatever tiny amount of positive spin on it they could.

If anyone shoots my dog by mistake I will probably be making a mistake that day too.
My family will be protected at all hazards.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Here is a secondary source which has video, albeit not the best quality video, showing the events leading up to but not including the shooting.

Fair WARNING, there are graphic images at the source that are accompanying the video. As well there is a second video that shows an aftermath with a neighbor questioning the officer with no success which also has graphic images.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Oh man...i get emotional just thinking about my little Sasha being hurt by someone.......

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

and there are more good cops than bad

I disagree. There are very few good cops. Any cop that remains silent, or doesn't turn in a bad cop, is a bad cop.

Anyway…

I have to disagree with your comment about this happening because the dog was a Pitbull. The dog was a. Service dog, for starters. There's a lot of testing and training that goes into being a service dog and the number one thing is they have to be calm. ALL the time...I've worked with plenty of kids who have service dogs in the hospital with them and lots of pet therapy dogs, so I know what it takes for a dog and their owner to get that certification. A lot of work, training and love.

This is the cops fault. Period. It's very sad that a dog was killed and this guy and those kids lost their buddy.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
This is the cops fault. Period. It's very sad that a dog was killed and this guy and those kids lost their buddy.

Actually, when it comes right down to it, it is our fault. It is our fault for not saying in no uncertain terms that enough is enough. Modern cops are immature, bratty kids who’s brains are fed on high fructose corn syrup, and of course they are going to remain out of control and do whatever they can get away with as long as we never choose to discipline them.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
The pit bull misconception is one of the biggest I've been snapped at by more jack terrier and chihuahuas than I have pitbulls

Please don't try to convince me that they're more dangerous because of a study on aggression. Those dogs do not have the size, strength, and especially jaw strength of pits. There's no comparison.

Disclaimer: was attacked by "normally nice and docile" pit bull in NYC, who broke away from their owners and charged us from across the street.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
The dog was a. Service dog, for starters. There's a lot of testing and training that goes into being a service dog and the number one thing is they have to be calm.

I don't think it was officially a service dog. You can register any dog as a service dog with a notification from a physician.

I can't think of any service dog company that would use a bit bull, they're very selective on the breeds.

But I think this story is more about cops than the dog.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

this is what it all boils down to: the pit is larger, carries a higher volume of dense muscle mass, and has much stronger jaws than a chihuahua.

The Pressa Canario....considered the deadliest dog alive. Enormous, strong, powerful bite. Generally a pleasant demeanor, but in the instance it feels the need to protect, it does so with violently catastrophic results. Because of its size and power. Were it a snappy little doxy...you would go away with bitten ankles, but would survive the encounter.

It isn't a knock on pits bulls to point out that their size and strength makes more more dangerous than a rat terrier. Its just commmon sense.

ETA: RE: your point on a pit not typically being a service animal...again, correct. They lack the attention span and discipline typically. Terriers are the ADHD kings of the dog world.
edit on 4/3/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
I agree most pit bulls are unpredictable..... because their owners are usually unpredictable. It doesn't matter how aggressive the breed is, these guys mold to their owners behavior.

The cop who shot this dog is in the wrong profession and should be fired immediately, he is a danger to the community... Cops like this, who can't handle dogs don't deserve to own a gun or a job as a policeman.

Exactingly.

The most unpredictable creature on the planet usually walks on two legs, with the majority believed to be of high intelligence.

Of course a high level of intelligence does not mean that they will "behave" in an intelligent manner, nor does it mean that their behavior will be reliable, predictably or trustworthy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join