It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an interesting article about the F-117 that was shot down over Serbia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
article

There must have been a lot of people losing sleep over the loss of that aircraft. The fact that there were gypsy scrap dealers taking parts off it just makes you wonder how far the parts were spread and how many countries had their own black projects advanced by years because of it.

as for the pilot and the AA battery commander who shot him down? check this out.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Similar as the very special chopper they failed to destroy completly during the operation to terminate OBL. Chineese engineer had a very close look at the tail and its very perticular multichromic optical stealth coating.

The drone they gave for free to Iranian engineers...

Go go USA, spend millions upon millions to R&D these technologies, then put them for free into potential ennemies hands!

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Nice story about two foes actually meeting and becoming great friends.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Similar as the very special chopper they failed to destroy completly during the operation to terminate OBL. Chineese engineer had a very close look at the tail and its very perticular multichromic optical stealth coating.

Go go USA, spend millions upon millions to R&D these technologies, then put them for free into potential ennemies hands!

That's how the game works though. Now we HAVE to fund even More projects and research and contract$ to come up with the next, biggest and brightest system that can't be countered.

It's "Keeping Up with the Jones'"....military-industrial-complex style
edit on 22-2-2015 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2015 by TXRabbit because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

At the time the F-117 was shot down there was already an upgrade coming down the pipe that made them more effective. The F-22 was already in the works too.
edit on 2/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: TXRabbit

At the time the F-117 was shot down there was already an upgrade coming down the pipe that made them more effective. The F-22 was already in the works too.

I can see the F-117 becoming an obsolete aircraft in the next few years (if not so already) l. Things change quickly.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The link in your post just shows up (for me anyway) as a few rather random characters.
You might want to change it somehow?

Never mind. Apparently it is my computer truncating the characters.
edit on 22-2-2015 by Enderdog because: revision to add info

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

They're already retired and in storage at Tonopah. There are a small number flying as test aircraft but none active in service.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

They're already retired and in storage at Tonopah. There are a small number flying as test aircraft but none active in service.
yesterday's big thing is tomorrow's junk I suppose.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

They reached the point that upgrades were too expensive to keep them effective against modem defenses.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642

yesterday's big thing is tomorrow's junk I suppose.

It could be said that the F-117 was junk before it flew with its weak capabilities. Lockheed needed the build contracts so they could secretly channel money onto their portion of the black triangles under development at the time. Then the other boondoggles came along. Care to name them?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

The F-117 was more than capable as it proved many times.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I wish more people could put war behind them and embrace peace and life.

Nice story.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I wish more people could put war behind them and embrace peace and life.

Nice story.

I remember watching a documentary that had one of the first men on the beach at Omaha meeting a man who was behind an mg42 in the German lines. I swear if those cameras weren't there the 80 something American bloke would have had the German down the cliff. The hatred was still there. It was funny to watch him acting polite but having his real feelings easy to see. Some things don't go away that easy. I'm glad the two in the article found peace.
edit on 41101642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly

Ever heard of a Trojan Horse?

Imagine you want to get access to the military systems of an enemy, and you happen to have an old drone laying around. You take out all the genuinely classified content and make it flyable, then you load it up with your spectacular exploit codes, dangle it in the water and let let the fishy bite.

What does your enemy do with this VITAL piece of enemy tech? They immediately rush it to the most advanced and secure military site in the country and start taking it apart, plugging in all kinds of things to analyze the coding as well as the physical tech.

Maybe the USA is smarter than you give them credit for?
edit on 22-2-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PeterMcFly

Except they didn't for either. The RQ-170 was a filler platform built with off the shelf technology. The stealth helicopter was similar. Yes it was more advanced than the Sentinel but it wasn't as advanced as other equipment out there. And they didn't get the truly advanced gear on board the helicopter. Skin changed and is replaced every few years.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Aliensun

The F-117 was more than capable as it proved many times.

It is comfortable to know. That Russia and China might be basing their newest technologies on obsolete US aircraft and coatings.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

shhh someone might think your a litle too smart

to bad Iran seemed to take it hook line and sinker apparently....

maybe they didn't plug any of it in??

you would think after Stuxnet they would have learned

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Rocker2013
shhh someone might think your a litle too smart

I would welcome a consultancy opportunity if any western government has appreciation for my deviousness. lol

originally posted by: penroc3
to bad Iran seemed to take it hook line and sinker apparently....

maybe they didn't plug any of it in??

I think the temptation would be far too much to take.
Besides, the potential benefits still outweigh the risks.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

It was interesting to watch the progression of skins and coverings. The first time the F -117 came through it couldn't be touched with bare hands because skin oil could cause problems with the RAM. When they walked on it they had to have boot covers etc.

Now it's advanced enough that it doesn't get bothered by things like that nearly as much as then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join