It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Wants Unemployed Youth to Do Unpaid Work for the State. State Sponsored Slavery or.....?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There are currently (July 2011) four PAYE income tax bands: 23% plus 11% national insurance on annual income up to £35,000

They pay insurance for when not working. So work and pay for insurance and still have to work unpaid after to get benefits they paid for.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
My son works Nightshift in Tesco's and he was telling me about people on the dole that had to work for free Nightshift, they sat in the canteen and never even got a meal or a drink, they had to pay their own way to work out of £10 and as it was nightshift they came in at 10 and sat for an hour as they had to get the last bus in (could not afford a taxi) this kid he was telling me about worked for six months, and really worked, and they kept on telling him that they would keep him on, they sacked him rather than giving him a job. Now they want this kid to work for 30 hours a week and look for paying work for 10 hours, I for one would not like to be the person that tells that kid ( as he might stick a knife in me) people have their breaking point and I know it has been reached by a lot of people and I mean a lot.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

And who told you that' do some research' some people pay for over 40 years and have an accident and get a pittance for 12 months that's it, 12 months and they are on their own. They move the goalposts as that was not the deal the were told they were getting 40 years ago

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Esa is cut off after 12 months so these are the people that will be working, they have to spend 30 hours working and 10 hours job hunting that's 40 hours, Most kids will just go on the rob as they police have just stated today that they have been cut and will pick and choose what they investigate, Makes you think this is all part of a plan to ruin the country.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why don't they just supply people with real jobs instead. I know, I know that it is easier said than done but the fact is there are just not enough jobs. If you get people to do this unpaid work are they covered for workers compensation if they are hurt? Will they be supervised properly by paid supervisors? Will they be taking jobs from someone who could have been employed to do this job? Is the government going to pay for their travel expenses, laundry and all the other allowances? If you are paying people to supervise them, provide workers compo and protective gear or work clothes plus administration you might as well just employ them and give them a real job.
I have never received unemployment benefits so I am not speaking from a biased point of view. But politicians get all of their expenses paid for or they are tax deductable so I do not think they understand what is going on here. Wealthy people (at least here in Australia) receive all kinds of handouts from the government including negative gearing on speculations and capital gains tax concessions. I am willing to bet that just these two alone would outweigh all of the money spent on unemployment benefits. I could go on.......
If someone has to work 40 or so hours to receive unemployment benefits then they should be paid as a full time employee. End of story.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
If there is valid work for these people to do within the community then they should be paid an appropriate wage.

They will be treat and viewed as little better than criminals who do this type of work now as a punishment.

Exactly.

We can always hope right?

Nah.

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
The plan seems to be: If you want housing benefits from the government you need to work or do community service.

I see no problem with that and it does not sound like slavery or compelled at all. Sounds more like a voluntary contract.

Not disagreeing, but let's see the US government ask that of people on section 8?

Be prepared for riots on the streets!

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This ian't slavery, it's earning your benefits. Is working someone 12 hours/day 6 days/week or more slavery? We claim it's not if they can quit and find better, but I wonder... It's only not slavery in the fine print. It's abuse of the law. It's taking what's legal and stretching it. I'ts not different than making soda drinks which some are addicted to. It's not different than the MMO's which're popping up, subsisting on addicted gamers.

Are we slaves to technology? To fame or rightness or power? We're slaves to many things, including fear, passion, hate and sympathies.
edit on 17-2-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

There are a lot of 55 to 65 years old men that work on building sites, in the past as they came to the end of their working life they took a couple of 16 year old under their wing and taught them the trade, the older guys slower pace was just right for the youngsters to take it in,

This was paid for by the company if you had 100 employees you had to take on 2 youngsters, Maggie did a way with this.

But more importantly the old were respected by the young, I had so much respect for my journey man teaching me knowledge that I had a renew respect for the old, where 2 years earlier as a 14 year old I thought they were old codgers.

Now they youth see them as old codgers at 14 18 20 and will rob them,

Government is responsisble, it was Maggie T that said there is no such thing as society.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
a reply to: jude11

In reality because of technology we all should be able to work less days a week and would be able to enjoy ourselves more...but that`s not what the 0,01 % wants...money is power, and they sure like their power over the rest of humanity.

I agree this is another way to screw the middle class and lower the wages since minimum wage is now not low enough for these corrupt bastards. Instead why not lower numbers of hour that all work. Create a demand of people that needs to be employed so that people get work instead and give the middle class a chance to get a good life instead.
edit on 17-2-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

In a nutshell' governments have ruined society to appease Businessmen with the import of cheap labour, they created the mess.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: pavmas

when you treat people bad then you get scared, the rise of gated communities in the UK tells me all I need to know

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
About time these lazy idol scroungers contributed to society. They take being on benefits as a lifestyle choice. Labour idiots want to cap benefits higher than £26,000 a year, where can you get a job that pays this much? I'd cap benefits at £3,000 and force the bone idle workshy to go out and find work. We are all working and paying taxes to pay for these wasters.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

For starters, your thread title is a little misleading. Every source article I could find on the subject says that "David Cameron" wants this policy or "U.K.'s David Cameron" wants this. None of them state that the U.K. as a whole supports this policy.

Secondly, even if the welfare recipients are paid a fair wage, it's still bad policy and I'll tell you why.

Regardless of whether or not we're talking about prison inmates or welfare recipients, a program like this can be utilized to replace regular workers with indebted ones, thereby turning indebtedness into a job requirement.

I would hate to think that in order to get a job picking up trash off the highway etc., I would first have to become destitute or rob a convenience store.

I'm not totally against community service but unless you could guarantee that some other honest hard working person doesn't lose their job or suffer lost income from reduced hours because of this type of policy, then I'm against it.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Aspie

I think you are lost mate this is not the DailyMail.
How can they be scroungers on £55 a week whilst their parents most likeley pay that in VAT alone in a week, people have money not governments,

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

I wish I could 'applaud' you - it really is that simple isn't it.

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

You are not paying your taxes pay for the establishment and interest on debt and bailing the bankers out,, you Don't pay for the poor, you do know that less than 1% of the total benefit budget is for unemployed, the most is for OAPs who have paid and the rest is tax credits for people in work for slave wages

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton
no no no , we have a government that has totally #ed up the british way of life and our industry and now they want to turn us into slaves . if i meet you in the street you will meet my steel . i am sorry i don't have words that would fit

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Why do you attack the poor why not attack osborne selling Royal Mail and giving his mate shares that made him over £9 million profit in one night, how can you attack the most needy and ignore the greedy

posted on Feb, 17 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I will tell you what slavery is' when a man can't afford to buy what he makes with his own hands that's slavery.

When I was young I was told it would take me a 100 years to buy a house I built in London (I'm a Brickie) in the 1980s this was 500 years and now 2015 it would take 1000 years for a brickie to buy a house on his wage that he built in London. and if you can't see the working man getting poorer and poorer then you went to the wrong school

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join