It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL - Should the UK monarchy now be abolished ? Y/N - all ATS members please contribute

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Why would they be Palaces if no one lived there? It would lose it's appeal.

What, like Versailles you mean? And I'm guessing millions of tourists visit Rome still expecting to see the odd Emperor hanging around.

Anyway - regarding the poll, yes please. And stuff abolishment, let's introduce them all to Madame Guillotine. Starting with that miserable old hag Brenda.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Hey... I know our food is actually superb, but my tastebuds, and very probably yours as well, are well used to our culinary ways. I have heard it from the French, the Germans, the Italians, and Christ help us, the Americans that I have spoken to on this issue before, that while they are sure we must enjoy it, folk from other lands often find our food not to their liking.

Now, I personally think that the only country which has ever produced a sausage worth eating, is the United Kingdom, that English Cheddar is the only cheese relevant to any discussion, and that we are also the only nation that knows a God damn thing about brewing proper ale, but overwhelming opinion to the contrary from others, has illuminated me to the fact that where my grub and grog are concerned, I have a slight bias toward the fare to be found within the borders of the British Isles.

Japanese tourists (who spend the most on average) do not come here to sample steak and kidney pie and mash, or battered mars bars, or Yorkshire puddings, and they do not come here to quaff a proper pint either. They come to see the historical buildings, to sample the culture, and yes, to go to Buckingham Palace, and try to spot the Queen, or perhaps one of the princes about their business.

The Royals do in fact perform this precise function, they are a tourist draw. You see, the French have beautiful old buildings, as do the Italians, and one could be forgiven for assuming that Buckingham Palace would be a draw without the residence actually being occupied from time to time by the reigning monarch. However, very few other nations with as long a history as our nation, have retained their monarchy. It is therefore, one of the big attractions. Even if that means that some people come to revel in the pomp and circumstance of it all, before returning home to sneer at our ways, it gets the money in, and we need that.

This leaves aside all the trade and investment that happens as a direct result of discussions and visits by Royal persons to other nations, and the gatherings of high flying types at the various Royal residences in the UK.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I just asked my mom what she liked best about London and she said, 'The changing of the Guard'.

I said, 'What about the food?'

And her reply was, 'The what?'

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Just as an aside, I'm wondering why so much bleating about the UK monarchy when Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden run similar systems with their heads of state.
All of them are equally ridiculous in my opinion yet the UK is the only one ever bitched about on ATS.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Yes.
I think it's disgusting the way people look up to them.
My wife loves them.......fool that she is......

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Perhaps it's because those nations don't foster an elite class of over privileged thieves.

Queen Cabbage and ol' Duke slitty eyes may pull in the profits but their freeloader sons and the entire toff society needs to be put in the proverbial sack and chucked in the Thames with a few lead ingots included.
Damn right it's class war.
The authorities still don't allow the Diana documentary to be shown. Great picture of the Duke of Edinburgh strutting his stuff with the Nazis.
Diana would have saved the Royals but,alas she shacked up with a 'person of dusky hue' so had to go. Possibly pregnant too.

edit on 26-1-2015 by Fermy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
NO.

However, in answering the poll, this thread subject "Should the UK Monarchy now be abolished?" seems to be merging with the question "Should the Royal Family continue to exist?".

If the question is "Should the Monarchy be abolished?"- NO.

The Monarch is the un-elected Head-of-State. As Head-of-State, (politically independent), the Monarch is ment to keep the ELECTED government in check when weighed against the will of The People.
To counter this, the UK Government have cleverly devolved the power of the position back into it's own hands. Over time, going way way back, the Monarch's clout has slowly been placed into the hands of The House of Lords.
The House of Lords are either (1) family-inherited Peers (slowly being decreased in number in favour of those of the second type) or (2) nominated by and elected by, AND STILL LOYAL TO, the various political parties of the land.
So, in summary, the House of Lords, ment to approve or disapprove the actions of Government where it conflicts with the will of The People, will by nature of being members of political parties, generally BACK the decisions of Parliment.

Point of example: Were the original intent left in place, the UK should not of gone to war in Iraq- as the majority of Government said "YES", BUT, The majority of The People quite CLEARLY and unargable said "NO!". The Monarch, in this instance, would of heard The People and had to of intervened on behalf of The People.

"Should the UK Monarchy now be abolished?". No. The Monarch (a) should remain- as a politically neutral counter-check to the actions of Government, and (b) have it's power to challenge Government ON BEHALF OF The People, when the need clearly exists, be returned.

Just my point-of-view.
Seeker 7

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yes,

I think they should be abolished...its all a psychological game, they have no true stand out feature to warrant such special treatment in this day and age, where we as people are striving to create more equality.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Just as an aside, I'm wondering why so much bleating about the UK monarchy when Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden run similar systems with their heads of state.
All of them are equally ridiculous in my opinion yet the UK is the only one ever bitched about on ATS.

Would have been nice to see which country people are voting from too, purely from a statistic POV.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
No.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fermy
a reply to: grainofsand

Perhaps it's because those nations don't foster an elite class of over privileged thieves.
Says who? You? Based on what information?
I'm currently reading up about all the constitutional monarchies in Europe and right now, they all share the 'status due to accident of birth' thing, and seem to live quite comfy lives on the back of their countries taxpayers.
As I said, I am doing a bit more reading if only out of curiosity, but if you have any valid points to raise describing why Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden's monarchies are somehow all pink unicorns and apple pie compared to the UK I'd be happy to be enlightened.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yes.

They don't really exist unless you see them on tv or other media anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I've just seen this rather ignorant and uninformed response. 'One of the few tourist attractions Great Britain has' ? You need to develop your intellect a bit and have a little read up about Britain and it's huge amount of tourist attractions, mate.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Yes and No, it's up to the people of the UK to keep the most expensive welfare family on the planet or not. I just want the british monarchy the hell out of Canadian affairs so we can turn this place into a country (preferably a republic), rather than the colony that it is and has been since its inception.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Still quite of few Stockholm Syndrome victims, I see? As for me OH HELL YES!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle I just want the british monarchy the hell out of Canadian affairs so we can turn this place into a country (preferably a republic), rather than the colony that it is and has been since its inception.

Cheers - Dave

That would require an entirely separate vote (in Canada).

Although held by the same family, the Canadian Monarchy is a distinct and separate entity from the British Monarchy.

Dissolution of one does not mean dissolution of the other.

An interesting though experiment is what happens if the British Monarchy is dissolved, and the Canadian Monarchy is not...what happens?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yes , I would comment further on monarchs but it might be so offensive that T&C gets me kicked out

link   
Empires erased. No one should live so lavishly while everyone else is left trying to keep their heads above water. Oligarchys should be abolished, no one should be born into a place of power. They didn't create their country, they dominated it. The throne is nothing more than a globalist tactic to keep the 1% in power. One which has done well in deceiving humanity into thinking they're the only ones capable of leading.

Yes. Absolutely. I pity those who continue to be jaded by this charade.

link   

Ummm...yes.....................................................with prejudice...

YouSir

link   

originally posted by: peck420
An interesting though experiment is what happens if the British Monarchy is dissolved, and the Canadian Monarchy is not...what happens?

You just got some new, permanent house guests.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join