It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL - Should the UK monarchy now be abolished ? Y/N - all ATS members please contribute

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
As a follow-up to the last thread link below (thanks to those who contributed with their comments/thoughts - most of which I concur with)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please briefly comment on whether the UK monarchy should now be abolished and vote only either Yes or No?

Be interesting to see what the % split is.

I for one vote YES!

Added after 10 posts: Interesting to note that so far after only 10 posts
the vote is 40% in favour of abolishment!
Be interesting to see if this continues and what the
final vote will be!

After 64 posts (not all contributors cast a vote) its running at approx. 45% in favour!
Im surprised its not more!

Lets see if it ends up 50/50.
edit on 26-1-2015 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
YES
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Yes, without a shadow of a doubt, yes and please let it be within my lifetime...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
No

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

NO

Primarily because the Monarchy still has a useful function in terms of nation identity and cohesion. Budget wise, they appear to make more money for the economy than they cost by a very substantial margin.

But I would temper this with don't let it get to the "Let them eat cake" depths of low. We all know what happened there.

I am kind of hoping out of all the chaos of scandal lessons may be learned and dignity with love and compassion for one's people may be restored.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fermy
YES

NO

Nearly ever other British culture is being evaporated by either the PC Brigade or from the influx of immigrants.
We should keep what we have left to still give us a resemblance of our great and unique history.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

No

Abolish Russell Brand by all means though.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
no, throughout history, non monarch nations fair worse than those that do have a monarchy, see the Weimar republic, for one instance, (plus what followed it).

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Soo 12th century..It is outdated it maintains and promotes a hierarchical class structure based on nepotism ...YES!

link   
The only people who should have say in this would be those who are subject to the crown. And since I'm an American, I have no say in the matter.

link   

No, but they should be made to do more for the good of the everyday person rather than business and foreign countries.

Abolishing them would let them off the hook too much imo.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Nah, but maybe take away some of their cash. Too much for one family to own. But the nation (i.e. older folk and Harry-worthy and Andrew-worthy teens) loves the old gang, and lots of people in the States get off on looking at pictures of the baby, not to mention those Canadians and Aussies who fawn over Prince Philip bending down to ask his servant to bend down and tie his shoe. So for the sake of keeping those people happy, Long Live The Queen (and her spawn)....but give back some of the allotted cash please.

link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
no, throughout history, non monarch nations fair worse than those that do have a monarchy, see the Weimar republic, for one instance, (plus what followed it).

Biggest mistake Ethiopia ever made getting rid of their Christian Monarch H.I.M King Haile Selassie. That Kingdom had Christian and Hebrew roots possibly going all the way back to Sheba. So much history gone at the hands of a brutal, short lived communist coup that made such a mess of Ethiopia. Within a matter of a decade, well we all know what happened then. A cautionary tale. I still have a gripe because that King was so loyal to the U.S and U.K and they left Him to the beasts.

link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: Fermy
YES

NO

Nearly ever other British culture is being evaporated by either the PC Brigade or from the influx of immigrants.
We should keep what we have left to still give us a resemblance of our great and unique history.

Great and unique history? What? Colonialism, slavery, war-mongering, land-stealing, resource depletion and then a swift exit from a country when it's all gone? Riiight!

And, for the record, the Queen's finances are a tightly-guarded secret so no one can factually state how much she earns, how much she has and how much she spends.

Wiki link

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yes. Not only should the monarchy be dissolved, the "royals" should have to pay back every cent they have taken from the people. The added billions would go a long way to shoring up the British economy.

Divine Right my butt.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Seeing as the Monarchy is largely a ceremonial role anymore, I don't see a problem with it. Culture and History are important.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The only people who should have say in this would be those who are subject to the crown. And since I'm an American, I have no say in the matter.

But it's cool if you wish to express an opinion as an American citizen, given the historical ties that America is Great Britain's little big brother. As a UK subject I don't mind you having an opinion, not even slightly. I comment much on U.S politics because there is such a big influence on us in the UK directly as a result of what the U.S does decision wise. Though, like you, I am sensitive to the limitations I must place on myself as an outsider.

Right, that's enough from motor mouth me today.
edit on 26-1-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: spelling.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
No.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I don't care what they do. It's their country, if they want all want to look up to some rich family as figureheads, that's their prerogative.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

No. Emphatically and absolutely not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join