It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
How was his Tweet incendiary?

How is it trolling?

Why would anyone get angry about it?

I don't get it.

Trolling: saying something then other people choosing to be offended by what you said because some people... well they walk around all day like the aliens in Invasion of the Body Snatchers looking to point their fingers and squeal at anything improper THOUGHT.

We are living in a society of thought police deputized by the media, religions and government. One commandment.... thou shall not think outside what we deem appropriate.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: moosevernel

Fact is. Science didn't do any of those things you mentioned. People did. Science doesn't have an agenda. People do. So yeah let's stop all scientific progress that could save your life. Or improve the lives of countless millions around the world.

I guess that is what Oppenheimer was thinking when they triggered the first atomic bomb. They knew the outcome of their efforts when they were paid off by the government to research "science". So let's go ahead and give praise to the almighty scientist.

When will science stop doing research on such destructive projects? Never in my opinion.

Science is only as good as what is produces and the uses we make of it. If humanity is so great in the universe, we have a bigger problem than faith. We are biting the hand that nurtured us because we are soooooooo smart with our science.

edit on 27-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Didn't anyone tell these idiots that Dec.25th has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ?

Didn't anyone tell you it's the day chosen to celebrate Jesus, whether is born then or not. I guess it's just more fun for you to bash others you disagree with.

Then why are they upset over a tweet that clearly state the word BORN. These people are getting upset because they believe the Jesus was born on Dec 25th when nowhere in the bible does it state he was born on Dec 25th.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

yea whats your point, you saying tyson picked a fruit cake or something. fact is tyson placed Newton up on a pedestal in his tweet when in fact Newton believed something tyson does not. in fact tyson refuses to give credit to those who are trying to reconcile science and religion. in this interview. Neil deGrasse Tyson argues science and religion are not ‘reconcilable’ kinda hypocritical of tyson to do that when he doesn't believe that it can be done.

I agree with Tyson on that one science is based on fact religion is based on myth. Many things in the bible are clearly taken from other myths from other peoples like the myth of Noah's flood.

please it is well established that Newton was a Christian, and believed in creation and that God encoded the bible. i doubt Newton would have used anything but the bible to try and decode it, regardless of what can be found in other books.

That's because back then that code was thought to work only on the bible. As inquisitive as Newton was had he known it worked on other books he would have more than likely used it on them as well.
edit on 27-12-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Yeah like I said. Science doesn't choose to do anything. People do. There are bad people. Who will do bad things. You focus on the bad things that people have done with science, I'll focus on the many many more numerous good things that has come from science.
Stop using your computer and the Internet. It came from science.

Don't go to the hospital when your ill. Science.

Don't eat any food you haven't hunted and killed yourself. Because guess what. Science.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

yea whats your point, you saying tyson picked a fruit cake or something. fact is tyson placed Newton up on a pedestal in his tweet when in fact Newton believed something tyson does not. in fact tyson refuses to give credit to those who are trying to reconcile science and religion. in this interview. Neil deGrasse Tyson argues science and religion are not ‘reconcilable’ kinda hypocritical of tyson to do that when he doesn't believe that it can be done.

I agree with Tyson on that one science is based on fact religion is based on myth. Many things in the bible are clearly taken from other myths from other peoples like the myth of Noah's flood.

please it is well established that Newton was a Christian, and believed in creation and that God encoded the bible. i doubt Newton would have used anything but the bible to try and decode it, regardless of what can be found in other books.

That's because back then that code was thought to work only on the bible. As inquisitive as Newton was had he known it worked on other books he would have more than likely used it on them as well.
It's also ridiculous to say great thinkers of the past were Christian. Back then they had no way to know how completely wrong the bible was concerning any actual facts. Virtually every historical "fact" in the bible from creation to when camels were used in the Middle East to the size of bethleham have been found to be wrong. The real question is would newton buy Christianity if he knew how edited and just flat out wrong the bible is, like we do today? Would Newton ignore all facts, logic and reason, just so he could still curl up in his blanket of ignorance and sleep well at night?? Newton wouldn't have been looking for a code in the bible if he had known how many random scribes had added there 2 cents and mistranslated this and that. No person even remotely as mathematical as he was could possibly console the two.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
And by presenting his writing in witty and often used by media and authors, method, how was this controversial? We're free. Anything that is not directly threatening to murder and rape another is free speech.

Anything limiting this is unlawful legislation, and as such doesnt exist, its null and void legally, at conception. This is a legal term that I keep using. Not a made up one. That is the legal terminology, null and void at conception. Ignore it always.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You like putting words in my mouth don't you?

Computers are based on weaving techniques developed before science.

Medicine is based on the body's ability to heal itself, medicine doesn't heal anything, just aids the body to do what is does naturally. I sure do like all those side effects produced by medicine, a product of how they develop drugs based on science. All they need to do is prove, scientifically, that the drugs have an effect, regardless if the side effect is worse than the condition.

The deer or wild game I harvest is by far better nutritionally than corporate farm beef. If the science employed by the DNR allowed me to kill off all the deer and wild game because they know better than I, who I'm I to argue with science?

ETA: The bottom line is that science is based on nature, if nature hadn't given us some smattering of intelligence, science would never exist.
edit on 27-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comment

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

No I really don't. I just don't understand how somebody can sit there and denounce all science. When that person depends on the products of science to live their lives. Computers are a product of science. Plain and simple. And medicine just isn't about drugs. And it does do things that the body cannot do itself. If that's not the case then by all means don't. Ever take yourself or your loved ones to get medical care. Ever. Let me know how that works out for you.

And I wholeheartedly agree about your meat. I applaud it in fact. Unfortunately a lot of people in the world. Myself included, don't have the means to do forage our own food and therefore must rely on farming and mass produced food. So yeah science is improving people's lives and even keeping a lot of them people alive.

edit on 27/12/14 by moosevernel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I grow tired of you inability to see past science and get down to fact that man never created anything. Remember what science says, that matter is neither created nor destroyed, by MAN, not by the force that DID create everything including our science.

Don't bother replying, I'm going off line to scientifically prepare my breakfast.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I am definitely a Christian.

My reaction to the tweet was to giggle.

He may have intended it to offend, but unlike some religious people, an insult to my primary religious figure is not something to get angry or upset about.

Actually, when I read it, I thought it was a joke, it is actually pretty humorous.

Those who get upset, in my opinion, are so weak in their faith, that they can't take a "challenge" to it.

So only the weak in faith get upset when their primary religious figure is "insulted".

Those who are strong in faith, know what they believe, and no "insult" will change that or upset them,

and in my case I was able to laugh at what the person to be intended as an insult to my faith.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Well I know you told me not to reply. But fair enough. I see I'm not going to be able to help you see my point of view, maybe im not getting my points across correctly, we wasn't debating creation of energy and matter were we? Enjoy your breakfast buddy

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Don't intend to offend and then act as if people are choosing to be offended.

Jeez, folks...next year, ask Santa for a sense of humour!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I lied, I stayed on long enough to see the reply I knew you'd send.

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. By the way, we use the term Buddy around here as a derogatory statement - Buddy.

edit on 27-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
Those who are strong in faith, know what they believe, and no "insult" will change that or upset them,

and in my case I was able to laugh at what the person to be intended as an insult to my faith.

I don't even see it as an insult or intended as an insult.

Tyson greatly admires Newton, so of course he would mention his birthday. Newton's birthday happens to be Christmas Day.

The end.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Oh well it's not a derogatory statement where I come from
we surely can agree to disagree. That's the beauty of things I guess!!

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

And nobody's is better than anybody else's.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. And nobody's is better than anybody else's.

Unless your opinion is based on science.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Christians are like Muslims, only without the guns and bombs.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Good on Neil deGrasse Tyson for honoring a man who actually did something for society, after all we can find proof of what Sir Isaac Newton accomplished. And his birth should be taken note of, when after all the blinders have had centuries of idiots honoring the Mystic Sky Wizards magician son every year for years upon years only because we found a book in a cave that told us magic is real..... Hmmmm

Happy belated birthday Sir Isaac Newton a `true`revolutionary of our times!!!!

Science and logic 1 - Mystic Sky Wizards, magician sons, and imaginary friends 0

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Jesus was never born on Christmas day anyway.

It was likely October or November.

So the scientist is right the only significant birthday was Newton that day

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join