It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson sparked an Internet supernova on Christmas Day when he took to Twitter to troll Christians. “On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world,” the “Cosmos” host tweeted Thursday. “Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

Man Tyson does like to stir up a hornets nest. But he is right the work of Newton did change quite a bit in this world.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Far better ways for him to have tweeted this without being intentionally incendiary.

+59 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Why does he need to censor how he says it?

Maybe people shouldn't choose to get offended

edit on thFri, 26 Dec 2014 23:29:19 -0600America/Chicago1220141980 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Newton is a fine person to celebrate, as is Jesus. Not a bad pair to share a birthday (or a beer) with.

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

to bad he didn't mention that Newton was a Christian.

from the wiki,

Newton's conception of the physical world provided a stable model of the natural world that would reinforce stability and harmony in the civic world. Newton saw a monotheistic God as the masterful creator whose existence could not be denied in the face of the grandeur of all creation.[6][7] Although born into an Anglican family, by his thirties Newton held a Christian faith that, had it been made public, would not have been considered orthodox by mainstream Christianity;[8] in recent times he has been described as a heretic.[9]
Religious views of Isaac Newton

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

I personally liked the one about the history of Xmas.
That one got a chuckle out of me
edit on thFri, 26 Dec 2014 23:31:45 -0600America/Chicago1220144580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Why does he need to censor how he says it?

Maybe people shouldn't choose to get offended

He doesn't. He said it in a way with the intent to offend. He is free to do so, I just see no need for it. It's not a case of people choosing to be offended over a comment that was not meant to be offensive. It was a comment intended to provoke people, and it surely did.

Don't intend to offend and then act as if people are choosing to be offended.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Why are people mad? That's true. lol

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Well that is taking some liberty with his intentions.
Looks to me like he is just expressing him self.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Well that is taking some liberty with his intentions.
Looks to me like he is just expressing him self.

No, it's understanding the English language and understanding he is very smart and also understands it, and as such understands exactly what he did. To claim otherwise would be rather insulting of him to be honest.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

it was a sly play on words.

All you can do is shake your finger at it.

Because he is correct. He is also a person who specializes in using theory from neuton. You know since he builds things that go up and come down.... Like in space.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Exactly and thank you for your fair mindedness. The tweet is obviously meant to "lead you in one direction", then give you a twist, but actually it isn't derogatory in any way against anyone's beliefs, unless Newton himself is an affront to some people.

If on December 18 you said "Happy Birthday to a guy who has truly changed the face of film" and everyone assumed you meant Steven Spielberg but really you meant Ray Liotta as a joke, that would be just being funny. It's not NOT funny just because people believe in something more strongly! Religion isn't sacred

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

it was a sly play on words.

All you can do is shake your finger at it.

Because he is correct. He is also a person who specializes in using theory from neuton. You know since he builds things that go up and come down.... Like in space.

I have no problem with him saying it, free speech, I am simply saying when you are intentionally snubbing people don't complain when they feel snubbed.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Let's see...

Jesus changed the world by founding a movement based on selflessness and love.

Newton changed the world by discovering the mathematical principles that mankind has swiftly used to pillage the whole planet.

So... I guess Tyson is right. I'd celebrate the former, however, if I were so inclined or had to choose. But Tyson is a spiteful opportunist like the rest of his ilk. Their whole goal in life is to piss other people off. It's completely transparent. Makes them feel superior and in control.

It's sad, really.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

to bad he didn't mention that Newton was a Christian.

Of course not, he was to busy being a pompous ass.

+30 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Well considering that it's almost a certainty that Jesus wasn't born on the 25th December, I don't see why anyone would be peeved...except those that actually think he was I guess..

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlackTiger

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Exactly and thank you for your fair mindedness. The tweet is obviously meant to "lead you in one direction", then give you a twist, but actually it isn't derogatory in any way against anyone's beliefs, unless Newton himself is an affront to some people.

It is when you consider the source is an outspoken agnostic/atheist. He says faith and religion should be left where it belongs, and not in science or science classrooms. He is right. But this is where it belongs, and his tweet was intentionally incendiary. It's his right to say it. And it's very true. It was just done in a way that intended to be offensive. I think it as in poor taste, but I still respect him.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Laugh. Thanks for this thread. It's not serious. I learned something too. Just wish it wasn't inflammatory to anyone. Baaaad Neil.
edit on 26-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
An example of what he could have said would be:
"While many of you are celebrating the birth of one man who changed the world by the age of 30, remember another. Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642."

It gets the message across, is not offensive, and is not him celebrating Jesus, only recognizing there are those who do. It would have been more effective too, because the message would not have been forgotten in the anger caused by the snub. So he sacrificed getting the message out so he could offend people. Kind of silly.
edit on 27-12-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Oh I love this !!! I must remember to say this to everyone who mentions christ next year !!!

Happy birthday Sir Isaac Newton

<<   2  3  4 >>

join