It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar Vortex to Blast 200 Million People With Arctic Air

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I talk to alot of the customers that come into the store I work in, they all say that the signs show them it's supposed to be a mild winter according to how the animals are acting.

As an example, I recall a older gent telling me was that muskrats are building their dens in shallower water this fall. Meaning they don't expect much ice. We have LOTS of water.

Anyone take any stock in any of these kinds of examples?

BTW..

I live in Northern Saskatchewan, so I should have felt this polar vortex blast already (according to that map), but it's REALLY nice outside.
edit on 7-11-2014 by gspat because: more typing

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat

Anyone take any stock in any of these kinds of examples?.

I had always headed the ratio of brown to black in the stripe on a wooly bear caterpillar. But biologist say its just a random pattern or people are looking at the wrong caterpillar

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I love you AZ. Low 80 ' s all through next week too

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Canadian says....Bwahahahahaha.
That's cold?

LOL, that's what I've said a few times since we've been in MI. The way some people have acted on chilly days here, I've wondered if they think it's 10 below. The weather has been bliss IMO, I've died & gone to heaven! I'm perfectly comfortable with the weather, consistently day after day for once in my life.

This little bit of snow came a few days before Halloween & rocked. First time my kids ever saw snow firsthand. Didn't stick much, but some folks wigged out, mostly younger ones. Older folks were "Meh, it happens this early sometimes. Shoulda seen the 1970's".

I took my kids trick-or-treating in temps around 28 degrees F, windchill was...whatever it was, teens I think. TONS of people out trick-or-treating like it was no issue. For me, keeping warm enough translated to two tank tops layered, regular jeans, light coat and sandals. I held up fine, it was cold but not "brutal" or anything to me. And I'm from south FL. Yes, I've bought boots now, I can't wear sandals forever in the cold

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: HardCorps

Yet there are still people who say that the world is getting warmer. Maybe it is...it's called Climate Change and it really has nothing to do with politics, or mankind. It is just the way it is...nature. Can't legislate that.

The earth could still be getting warmer. The fact that we have cold winters or storms that bring very cold weather does not indicate the overall temperature trend. I just thought I would set the record straight since so many people seemed to agree with your post. The world could also be cooling, yet there are still going to be extremely hot summers. We've had both hot summers and cold winters on various parts of the planet, yet the earth cannot be cooling and heating at the same time, which goes towards proving my point...that local temperatures, or transient temperature changes, say nothing about the overall temperature trend.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Hence my comment. Mid 80s still in AZ. Supposed to be for the next few weeks lol

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
I talk to alot of the customers that come into the store I work in, they all say that the signs show them it's supposed to be a mild winter according to how the animals are acting.

As an example, I recall a older gent telling me was that muskrats are building their dens in shallower water this fall. Meaning they don't expect much ice. We have LOTS of water.

Anyone take any stock in any of these kinds of examples?

BTW..

I live in Northern Saskatchewan, so I should have felt this polar vortex blast already (according to that map), but it's REALLY nice outside.

Yep, I do. Even though I live in the southern US. Experience counts. Them old-timers are rarely wrong. Animals are much more finely tuned to nature than we are.

And I don't really know off-hand what kind of "voodoo" they use but these:

...are eerily accurate. Even down to the best days and times to fish!

Respect your elders. (says a 28 year old body with what must be the soul of an 80 year old man.)
edit on 1172014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trillium

originally posted by: caterpillage
We need to build a huge wall on the northern border to keep that cold air in Canada where it belongs!

Ya that would keep all that pollution on the south side got my vote

Excellent! A joint project then. We will split this fifty fifty, Canada will supply the funds and the US will supply the labor.

We will then need some rather large fans then to vent the pollution southward, I sense a joint project with Mexico in the works...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Really not keen on derailing this into another climate change thread...but hey, since the very first comment already did that...some food for thought:

Despite the cold year it's been in North America east of the Rockies - 2014 is actually on pace globally to be the warmest ever recorded:

2014 on track to be hottest year on record, says US science agency

But you can pretty much guarantee no matter what the planet as a whole is doing, every time it snows in somebody's backyard out there, somebody out there will start screaming "Hey, what happened to that global warming LOL!"

Also, this:

But what is to say that all the hydro-carbons in the atmosphere won't cause the next Ice Age like the same scientists predicting Global warming today, who also predicted the next Ice Age back in the '70's are right...or wrong.

Because the laws of physics plainly tell us what happens in our atmosphere.

Certain particles like sulfate aerosols reflect sunlight, and thus cause global dimming (aka cooling). Other particles like greenhouse gases trap infrared radiation coming from the Earth's surface and cause global warming. This effect has been known about since the 1860's. In the 1970's the fundamental understanding here wasn't any different - the only difference is some scientists believed that the effect of ever-growing aerosols (also largely man-made) would be more pronounced than greenhouse gases. That's it.

This was a small minority of scientists even back then. The whole "they were all predicting an ice age" thing is a total myth. The majority of climate scientists were already in the warming camp, even when they were all wearing turtlenecks and bell-bottoms:

Since then large efforts have been made to reduce our aerosol output, and global warming has clearly won out, as predicted. People can cite mysterious unexplained natural cycles all they want. Natural cycles do happen of course, but they are not mysterious, and actually quite well understood (changes in the Earth's orbit, natural release of greenhouse gases and aerosols, etc).

But most importantly none of that changes the underlying physics. That's how we know it's global warming, and that's how we know right now it's largely man made. See this:

^That's literally man made global warming happening before your eyes. It's satellite data recording less and less heat escaping from the atmosphere at the exact wavelengths that CO2 and other GHGs are known to absorb at.

This was proven in a lab over 150 years ago, and today it can be physically observed happening in the real world.

So there is no question man made greenhouse gases are trapping more and more heat, and simple logic dictates that the planet will get warmer as a result. As already mentioned in this thread, how that extra heat translates to our everyday experience is more complicated - most of it goes into the oceans, which can change circulation patterns, and make some places actually cooler, some wetter, some drier, etc.

But the overall physics dictate warming, and the overall temperature of the planet (not just "Chicago") confirms this.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Yet there are still people who say that the world is getting warmer. Maybe it is...it's called Climate Change and it really has nothing to do with politics, or mankind. It is just the way it is...nature. Can't legislate that.

LOL Do you really think that one polar vortex means the earth is not getting warmer as a whole? You need to study ...science.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't believe in snow or negative temperature!, yes you can artificially create a negative temperature zone with scientific equipment like a bait freezer, but it does not occur in nature. However snow just does not exist--I even went to Finland to find some and there wasn't any there, waste of money and it was cold. All this pics on the internet where people have covered their houses and cars in salt are hoaxes.

This should be hoax binned. Snow? Negative temperature? Please, embrace ignorance

/end sarcasm

The point above is for the climate denialists, just because I am not experiencing or observing (or have ever) snow, does not mean it does not exist. Same with climate change, just because you are not experiencing or observing it...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Its called WINTER folks...no need for alarm, it is said to happen for about 4 months out of every year. Polar Vortex....

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If global warming/climate change was in fact real, then why do we see temps that are the same today as were recorded more than a hundred years ago? For instance, watch the local weather forecast, and they will usually tell you "look for a high of 98 degrees tomorrow, with a chance to beat the record of 99 degrees set way back in 1878" The media spins everything else, so why wouldnt they do it with the weather? People die from extreme temps every year, in summer and winter. Notice how its usually Chicago that is hit the hardest with deaths....something to do with poverty/living conditions?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It's starting already here, rather inland. Though it's kinda late being colder, as it's been warmer(on record) these past fall months. It's still slated to be colder than average, so it will be extremes for this time of year.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOO! I categorically reject that aggressive arrow pointing towards New York's area.

Last winter here in the city was 6 months of polar apocalypse, with neverending snow, lol.

originally posted by: HardCorps

The coldest weather of the season so far will extend from the Dakotas to Texas and the Interstate-95 corridor by the end of the week. The outbreak of arctic air will be long-lasting and may linger well past the middle of the month.

Heating demands will jump and people will be reaching for winter coats before venturing outdoors.

The worst of the cold will be felt from Fargo, North Dakota, and Minneapolis to Chicago and St. Louis.

The combination of cold air, wind and other conditions, including snow in part of the Midwest and northern Plains, will send AccuWeather RealFeel® temperatures plunging into the single digits and teens. Actual high temperatures may not reach the freezing mark in portions of the northern Plains and Midwest. Such cold will raise the risk of hypothermia and frostbite for those not properly dressed.

Polar Vortex to Blast 200 Million People With Arctic Air

When this happened last year Chicago saw temps around 18 degrees... 80 inches of snow and 32 people died from the cold.
CBS

there saying that this cold snap could well keep things cold until the end of this Month Nov.

Our local news is saying this

The mild fall temperatures are expected to end on Sunday. Bundling up when going outside for even short periods of time and being prepared to combat hypothermia and frostbite when going into the woods to hunt, chop wood, or ride horses is being highly recommended. A first aid or survival kit kept in vehicles in case of an accident or being stuck on the road due during winter storms is also highly advisable.

here it comes folks

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
If global warming/climate change was in fact real, then why do we see temps that are the same today as were recorded more than a hundred years ago? For instance, watch the local weather forecast, and they will usually tell you "look for a high of 98 degrees tomorrow, with a chance to beat the record of 99 degrees set way back in 1878" The media spins everything else, so why wouldnt they do it with the weather? People die from extreme temps every year, in summer and winter. Notice how its usually Chicago that is hit the hardest with deaths....something to do with poverty/living conditions?

Because global warming is based on global averages, you know, "Global" warming, not regional or local realities. I think it is time that people put to rest this common but nonsensical point.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'd seen the photos in the newspaper of Niagara Falls and the spikey ice that covered the river. Every frozen river I'd ever been to was flat from bank to bank. I wonder why the ice was like that.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Maybe it's not a hot & cold thing, maybe the world is getting extremer.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
Its called WINTER folks...no need for alarm, it is said to happen for about 4 months out of every year. Polar Vortex....

Since you seem to think that the polar vortex is something like Santa Claus, here ya go.

Behold the Polar Vortex, ho ho ho:

climate.cod.edu...

Gorgeous, isn't it? There's one down at the South pole too that I've never seen in action though I would love to as, based on the Northern one, they are truly magnificent beasts. They're always there so it's not something that spawns weirdly during the winter. It's how far that Northern version is splatting out that is a little strange and that is a factor of oscillations and the jet stream. It's been a wee bit wonky for a couple years now and to me, that's pretty troubling.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jenisiz

No, Arizona is a terrible place to live. Please, all you people in the midwest and east coast stay where you are. It's much better there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join