It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most expensive food I could find at the supermarket came as something of a suprise.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Heck, only 15 years ago you could buy a weeks worth of groceries for $20, now that gets you maybe lunch and dinner for one day.
Here the dividing line of before and after price is 911.

Id hate to say how old I am and how low prices were when I was a kid.

Butt I will say that my dad was able to pay off a house with a two car garage (and two cars), raise two kids, take paid vacations to Disneyland every year, keep us all clothed and well fed on a meager engineers salary.

When I became his age my same as his salary wouldn't afford the monthly payments on a house. He paid into growing equity which he now enjoys the fruits of. I paid into others coffers all my life and will enjoy the fruit of serfdom.

Get ready for hyperinflation. The longer they 'Quantitatively Ease" things (print money to pay off debt) the harder its going to get. I recommend everyone figure out some way to grow their own food. It doesn't matter how much they charge for stuff if you can feed yourself.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Here is the U.S., much of the premium bottle water is more expensive than gasoline per gallon.

Picture the average Walmart shopper in your mind. Got it? Now realize that half of the population is not that smart.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Water is not quite that bad here but I just found a soft drink that works out at £20.91 a gallon or $33.45 a gallon US.

I think petrol is around £5.30 a gallon but don't drive so could have that wrong

a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here in the Netherlands, we have two prices listed, not on the product but on the shelf label. (Most supermarkets )

- Item price
- Price / KG (In small print somewhere in the bottom usually ; )

Not always, but when in doubt, or short on cash.. I look at the differences to decide.
Because they also fool you with the packaging size or design.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It is the same in the UK, you can not blame them as they are business people and need to survive.

A common trick is to have a similar range at the same price but varied weights therefore making it a very different deal. sometimes as much as 30% less weight but the same price.

Also the same range but different costs. In our supermarkets they sell readymeals that you could not recreate at the same cost and sell for the same price you could make five times that amount for half the price.

Clever marketing.

a reply to: EartOccupant

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Truffles certainly are amongst the most expensive at the supermarkets I know and Beluga caviar.

The cost of turkeys here in the UK is silly, easily £60 and more. I don't even like turkey much, same for goose, last year we bought duck for about £36 and it wasn't that nice.

I always suggest alternative Christmas dinners but the traditional always seems to win. The roast parsnip and potatoes are possibly the best part of something that is essentially a big Sunday roast.

Veg crisps are great, similar can be oven made with some olive oil spray and low heat, same for apples. I roast apples and pears with veg for roasts often, they can also be served after dinner with some maple syrup and cinnamon, or a crumble topping, real custard, cream etc and good for healthy snacks.

edit on 4-11-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The meat always pales in comparison if you know how to cook the veg,

The best turkey in the world cannot compete with honey and mustard roasted parsnips, brussel sprouts with chestnusts and bacon and creamy mash.

With slow cooked red cabbage in red wine with star annise and home made stuffing.

You can keep your turkey if we can not have that.

a reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

This year I am considering Christmas Pie, for a more relaxing Holidays, and some nice pastry too, obviously with yummy roast veg.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

the cost of materials/labor to slice, dry, and package the apple chips is fairly steep. You can typically take the cost and divide it in 3 parts. One part is the cost of goods, the other is the cost of labor, with the third being above line profit.

If you want real expense, check out saffron.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Saffron per weight is probably more expensive than any foods, thankfully we can get small packs here for about £3 these days.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
the price differences are made by importing.

It's like if you want those apples, they will be grown in norway, Flown to france to be processed and dried. Sent to America in bulk. Then packaged and sent in trucks.

Now that may not be for that particular brand. But in General. Lots of food gets shipped across the world when it does not have to.

That's the argument against big corperations outsourcing in other countries is it overall is a waste of resources.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

$15.99 for a small envelope stuffed in a bottle here. I get enough to make maybe 3 batches of paella.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Actually, we have a wicked good roast turkey breast recipe by Ina Garten, and it's so easy. You just make a paste of diced fresh herbs with a little butter and rub that over the turkey and under the skin. Then you stick it in the roaster. Then you just dump an 8 oz mini bottle of a nice, dry white wine into the bottom of the roaster, maybe add some sliced mushrooms while you're at it. Then you roast it. The herb rub makes a nice skin and the drippings combine with the wine and mushrooms to make a killer au jus in the bottom that you use to keep the meat moist.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The saffron we get here sells for around £5 a gram, in packets for about £3, which last about a month or more depending on how many saffron dishes I make.

www.tesco.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I make nice turkey, I place garlic cloves, butter and fresh herbs under the skin and a lemon or orange inside, though turkey as a meat is not that great IMO, it is often rather dry and bland.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Manuka honey comes in at £48 a kilo in Tesco/ASDA.

Have you been in Maccy's lately? They do a pineapple 'stick' in a titchy bag for kids - 70p/35grams. It's about as big as your finger. It works out roughly at £21 per kilo and the average weight of a pineapple is 2.5kg and I pay £1.25 in the market!! A Maccy would be ~£51.50

Good earner

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I used to buy a brand of chips, and knew the weight and package and price. Then one day I went to the store, the weight of the bag was lowered, the price was up, and to top it off the package now had a graphic on it saying "Big Bag". Never bought that brand again (and have been "off" potato chips now for well over two years).

For very affordable feasts, check out the first item in my signature.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Shoplifting ---- costs nothing

Good luck trying to get money out of me
i do all my shopping at food banks - you have to dress to impress there

and i work at a soup kitchen which gets donations from the supermarkets

And if it's not reduced i am not buying it

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Ok i just found something more expensive per kilo.

It is called Onuga caviar substitute.

£77.60 per kilo and the main ingredient is water. It contains 20% smoked herrings and some salt and lemon.

Herring retails @ £5 per kilo so it has around £1 of herring per kilo.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I dont use food banks as thinkgs are not that bad.

I only ever buy store cupboard ingreidents and some dairy full price.

Everything else comes at around half seven in my local supermarket whentheres always plenty of food reduced by 90%

a reply to: douglas5

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join